Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Ten 2a games of week ending 8-22-15
Alright, this is going to be my first crack at doing this for 2a. I however think this can be a very interesting year in 2a filled with a bunch of great games and extremely intense competition. So here it comes, my first top ten for 2a:

1) #5 Pikeville 1a @ #11 Prestonburg 2a
This game heads the first week of both the 1a and 2a top ten games. This is with great reason. This game went to the wire last year with Pikeville winning by 1 solitary point at home by a score of 30-29. They both finished short of where everyone expected them to last year. They both had great records and both were in the top ten almost all year. Pikeville finished up at 11-1 and Pburg at 10-3. You have the revenge factor and the change in homefield advantage that could be all the difference in this one. I would say this will be a packed house with excitement in the air hours before kickoff. I would love to see it myself.

2) #4 Christian Acad of Lou 2a @ #7 Simon-Kenton 6a
You talk about a small school stepping out of their comfort zone right off the bat,Wow!!!! CAL probably feels like they shorted themselves last year in the revenge game that ended their season and will be looking to correct that this year. They finished off their great season with a record of 10-2 last year. S-K also has to be filling like they were on the cusp of something great last year, when they finished up at 11-2 and I am sure are ready to redeam themselves. This one should also be packed and rocking. Can the small school jump out to a great win over the big school powerhouse program? I also would like to be there to witness this one.

3) #7 Shelby Valley 2a @ Franklin County 4a
Shelby Valley is another small school program trying to impress by taking it to a large school power right off of the bat. The valley was one of the surprises of the 2014 season. They however, are now not flying under the radar. The valley finished up in the semis with a record of 11-3 last year and I'm sure are ready to improve upon that. Franklin Co is the gunslingers of the big schools. They want to run up the video game scores in their quest to improve upon their 8-3 season from last year. I think this could come down to who has the defense and who doesn't. Another must watch game.

4) #12 Lou Holy Cross 1a @ #5 Owensboro Catholic 2A
This is another great matchup of 2 small school teams that will go a long way toward improving one teams rise in the polls. Holy Cross has the hard nosed defense that will play wire to wire. They however are lacking the great offense they had back in 2010. They finished up 2014 at 8-4. Owensboro Cath has the great offense with the gunslinger mentality, but very little defense. They finished up at 10-2 in 2014. This will be very interesting to a lot of people around the state to see where these two stack up. Another great watch here.

5) #10 Campbellsville 1a @ Glasgow 2a
Here is another great small school game with 2 teams shaping up to be on the cusp of returning to greatness. Both schools have some great tradition and are rebounding in that direction recently. Campbellsville finished up last year at 7-5 as they were billed as the dark horse in 1a. Glasgow is looking to return to form of a few short years ago when they made it to the carpet in BG. They finished up last year at 8-4. This should be a fun one to watch.

6) Webster County 2a @ Hopkins County Central 4a
This is another good game to watch. This because it was the only success that either of these teams had last year. Webster took this game last year at home by a score of 40-28. Hopkins Cent will be looking to avenge this loss. They shared only 1 win by the two because of this game last year. Webster finished at 1-10 and Hopkins Cent at 0-11.

7) Magoffin County 3a @ #16 Leslie County 2a
This here is another good game between 2 teams figuring to be in the mix of things this year. Magoffin being the slightly bigger school but having a slightly lesser result last year as they finished at 7-5. Leslie Co is looking to use this game to help them climb the ladder in 2a. They finished up last year at 8-3 and have to fill like they are on the rise. This should be a fun one to watch.

8) #8 Lloyed Memorial 2a @ #14 Walton-Verona 2a
This game here looks to be very important to these two teams in helping to shape the landscape of 2a. They are gonna jump right into it and not give anyone a chance to think about it, by coming out of the gate after each other. Lloyd is in the top ten and finished last year with a record of 8-3. W-V is just on the cusp of the top ten and finished up last year at 10-2. They have home field advantage and a chip on their shoulders. This will be a great one to watch.

9) #3 Newport Central Cath 2a @ Scott 5a
This is a game of needs for these two teams. Newport made it to the finals in 2014 but feels like they need to prove to everyone that they belong after seeing the results of that final. Scott wants to jump into the mix of things in the big school classes and would feel good about getting a win against a participant from the finals for the past 2 years. So this team is very important to both for pride and their future. I would think this will be a packed house and a rocking environment as well.

10) Bellevue 1a @ Gallatin County 2a
This here is a revenge game and features 2 teams who feel like they could be on the edge of making some noise. Bellevue won this matchup last year in a scoring fest, 48-21. They did have home field advantage. This year Gallatin has home field. This game also meant the difference between Gallatin finishing with a winning or losing record last year. Gallatin as a result finished up at 5-6 and Bellevue at 7-5. This should be another great one.

Well, there it is fellas. I'm sorry for the discrepancies in the poll results for the teams. This is mostly because the polls appear to be ever changing at this point and their are so many different results. Yall take a look and let me know what you think.
Keeping my eye on Campbellville this year. :popcorn:
We have gotta get 2a talking. This is too quiet.
mysonis55 Wrote:We have gotta get 2a talking. This is too quiet.

I agree. The 1a fan bases sure seem to be a lot more vocal.. Great fan bases in Raceland, Williamsburg, Pikeville, Hazard and a few others. They sure didn't mind mixing it up every week... lol
It would be ashame if a louisville team or northern kentucky team won 2A. Confusednicker:
2A #10 Monroe Co. vs. 5A #2 Bowling Green is a game to keep an eye on. I certainly don't expect Monroe Co. to win, but if they can be competitive for 2 or 3 quarters, it should put the rest of 2A on notice in regards to Monroe's potential.
64, you are not doubting us again are you?