Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Ten 1a games of week ending 08-22-15
Well fans, here we go with a new season and excitement is in the air. It is time for my first addition of the top ten 1a games of the week. This is going to be a little bit different this year with the realignment. I think I still have a pretty good knowledge of 1a, but it could change with all the vacated spots and the new fills. This is what I have come up with for this week, I hope you enjoy it.

1) #5 Pikeville 1a @ #8 Prestonburg 2a
Fellas you talk about a great game to start the year off with. I would be hard pressed to find any better. This game lived up to the billing last year and I expect no different this year. In the battle of the cats last year, it was Pikeville edging out Pburg in the tightest of margins at home by a score of 30-29. I am quiet sure this has got to have been setting in the crawl of the Blackcats all off season long. I am also sure the Panthers will have a lot to fight for since their season came to an abrupt end last year long before anyone, including myself thought it would. Last year the visiting Panthers finished at 11-1 with the only loss coming in a revenge matchup against a familiar foe that they had previously man handled. The Blackcats had a great season of their own last year but, also feel as though their season ended before it should have. They finished with a 10-3 record, with one of those losses being in this matchup. Both of these teams and fan bases will be fired up and the place should be packed and rocking.

2) #10 Campbellsville 1a @ Glasgow 2a
This is another great matchup and the only reason it rates below the first pick, is that it does not have the revenge factor. You are talking here about 2 teams that I feel have been right on the cusp of being elite or great in the past few years. The talk I picked up last year about Campbellsville was that they were a little young but, they were a sleeper team. They more than lived up to that billing with a 7-5 record and a revitalization of the program. Now Glasgow has not quiet found their stride since they visited BG in December a few years back. They have however been right in the thick of things. They too finished last year strong with a record of 8-4. You add to this the fact that they could be one of the teams to work their way into the top ten of 2a in the near future and both teams are playing for more than just the score on the board. This is 2 solid programs with history and both should bring out a good fan base. I think this would be a great game to watch and wish there was a way that I myself could be there.

3) Lou Holy Cross 1a @ #7 Owensboro Catholic 2a
WOW!!! Another great one here between 2 small private schools with lots of tradition. First you look at the visiting Cougars and they have certainly been in the thick of things as far back as 2010. While this team is not the offensive thriller that it was in 2010, they still play very hard nosed defense and fight to the bitter end. They finished their season last year at 8-4 and probably feel like they could have done better. Then you look at the home team Aces and they too have had a great deal of recent success. They are the direct opposite of the visitors in that they sling the ball all over the place and play to score more than anyone else could. They however do not have the stiff, hard nosed, defense that the Cougars exhibit. The Aces finished their season off at 10-2 last year. This are 2 ruckus fan bases and they should pack the place tight. This will be an exciting place to be as well.

4) Dayton 1a @ Bishop Brossart 1a
This here is a matchup of 2 teams and programs that are trying desperately to find some success. You add in the fact that this was played to the wire last year with 5 points separating the 2. Dayton won this matchup last year at home by a score of 18-13. Last year the Flyers finished at 3-8 with one of those wins being this close, hard fought win. Bishop Brossart finished at 1-8 and could have used the extra win to build from. This should shape up to be another close hard fought game.

5) Caverna 1a @ Edmonson County 3a
This game features two teams that appear to be pretty close to one another in success. Caverna however appears to be on the rise. Caverna appeared to be making some significant changes in their pride and understanding last season. They finished with a better record than they have had in a while at 4-7 and scored more on the state champs than did most 1a teams. Edmonson County also finished at 4-7 last year. They however are a bigger school as a 3a. This should allow them to have more players to run in and out against the small team. I think both teams are looking to this game to build upon and therefore it should be an all out affair.

6) Betsy Lane 2a @ South Floyd 1a
We have another game between two middle of the pack teams from the smaller school classifications. Betsy Lane won this matchup last year in a flurry of scoring. It appeared to be the team that outlasted the other in this game, as Betsy Lane pulled away by a score of 64-44. You also take into account the similarity of their records and that shows just how tough of a matchup this should be. Betsy Lane finished 1 game over .500 at 6-5. South Floyd finished, 1 game below .500 at 5-6. This game was the deciding factor as to whom finished with a winning record and who didn't.

7) #7 Bellevue 1a @ Gallatin County 2a
We have another apparently great matchup in this one. This matchup features a smaller school with just a 1.5 game lead in records from last season. It also appears to have been a higher scoring game last year in which one team appeared to have pulled away in the end, as Bellevue won 48-21. Bellevue finished at 7-5 and this one win made the difference between them having a winning record or Gallatin having one. Gallatin County finished up just slightly under .500 at 5-6. This too should be a great matchup with the fans excited to start of this season in this manner.

8) Newport 2a @ Ludlow 1a
This appears to be another great matchup between 2 teams with similar records. Newport was a team that was talked highly about last year as one of the best possibilities out of the east to upset NCC. Newport did finish up at 8-5 and had a close matchup with NCC and Williamsburg to build from. Ludlow also finished with a winning record at 6-5. It will be interesting to see how Newport travels in this matchup and it should be a great time.

9) Lynn Camp 1a @ Perry County Central 5a
This hear is a game between two teams that need some success to build upon. Lynn Camp finished up the 2014 season at 2-9. Perry Co Cent finished up at 1-10. While Perry Co Cent is the bigger school, they appear to have struggled a little more last year then did Lynn Camp. This should be a good game for one of these teams to take forward into their season.

10) #8 Williamsburg @ Lex Christian Academy 2a
Both of these teams have had recent success to propel them into the limelight. Both however have apparently hit that ceiling and are now trying to rebuild. Williamsburg is the smaller school and has finished their last 2 seasons on the carpet at BG. They have been known for their explosive offense during that time frame and even a couple years prior. LCA has been on somewhat of a rebuilding expedition since their glory years of 2008 & 2009. They too were known for their explosive offense during that time. Williamsburg lost a ton of players from last years state runner up team and therefore would figure to be in the same role as LCA now. This game will go a long ways for either team to determine where they stand this year. Williamsburg finished last year at 14-1 with their only loss coming in overtime by only 1 point. While they were hit hard by graduation, the cupboard is not bare. LCA also had a pretty good season finishing up at 6-6 and pushed on the top 10 of 2a all year long. I think this will be an explosive game from start to finish and should be a lot of fun to watch.

There it is, yall toss it around and see what you think.
Thanks for answering the bell mysonis55 always great breakdowns
Good stuff 55.
Number 10 This is the National Guard Game Of the week. All jokes aside you do a great job. 1A fans thank you. :worthy::worthy::worthy: MYSONIS55.
Thank you guys for all the replies. I hope you all enjoy this. I have my hands full this year with two classes.
mysonis55 Wrote:Thank you guys for all the replies. I hope you all enjoy this. I have my hands full this year with two classes.

You're doing great, thanks 55
mysonis55 Wrote:Thank you guys for all the replies. I hope you all enjoy this. I have my hands full this year with two classes.

You want make it to December in 2A mysonis55 bad,bad, year to move up. Confusednicker:
64SUR Wrote:You want make it to December in 2A mysonis55 bad,bad, year to move up. Confusednicker:

:pondering:
We are gonna love it. I think the west should be really strong.
The Lynn camp perry central game will be interesting to see who has improved upon last year the most I think perry central will get the win. I'm interested to see how well Williamsburg will recover from graduation and if they can reload I'm not sure lca will be down for much longer can't wait to see