Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rowan Co. Coach hired yet?
Just wondering who the new Lady Viking coach is, or will be.
Elaine Douglas is the new coach. She was hired over 2 months ago

http://www.themoreheadnews.com/localspor...ball-coach
Where will they stand in the 61st and in the 16th?
Probably 3rd in the district, bottom 6-7 in the 16th.
Rowan will make the regional tourney again
You think they're better than Fleming or Bath? And since when did "making the regional tourney" constitute a success at a program with the history of Rowan?
HD28 Wrote:You think they're better than Fleming or Bath? And since when did "making the regional tourney" constitute a success at a program with the history of Rowan?

Totally agree
They weren't better than bath the last two years but beat them out of district both years. No I do not believe they has been that successful but they do not have the same players they did a few years ago either.
Rowan had a great three year run from '08-'10
All I know is that Coach Douglas has brought a breath of fresh air to the program. I do think they will be better than expected and after a few down years I believe they are headed up. For no other reason than they won't be afraid to play ball this year. Those connected with the team know that the past two years most of the girls spent more time being yanked in and out of the game than actually playing.

Fleming and Bath may be the teams to beat in the 61st, but Rowan has already shown they can step up at tourney time and don't be surprised if they don't end up in one of the two top spots in the District.
Can they compete for Region title?
Quote:Can they compete for Region title?

Probably not this year. I know they want to do more than JUST make it to the Regional Tournament, but with Ashland having their senior class (among others), they are probably a year away from competing for a regional title. Of course, they will still have to improve and get experience, but I believe they will.
It will be many years before they are a viable candidate for the regional title; not the foreseeable future.

When you say "they don't have the same players...", that has no bearing on 2014-15. Neither does Fleming for that matter (have the same players). Bath has gained experience from the last 2 years, and I believe they take the next step this year.

I do agree that Douglas is an upgrade from what they had the last two years coaching wise.
Did Rowan get a transfer from Harlan?
Rowan County DID get a transfer from Harlan...Torrey Mitchell. Her dad has been on the coaching staff for the boys at Rowan County for several years. She is VERY SMOOTH! Can dribble, score, pass and play defense! Definitely going to help them...BIG TIME!
That addition could put them on top of the 61st