Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk Defense'
Alot of coaches like to run 2 or 4 techniques, Head up on the offensive guards or tackles. That's great if you have D-tackles that can bench 300 lbs and weigh 250 or better. For teams that aren't blessed with a whole lot of strength or size you need to shade your D-tackles. Align your D-tackle to the strength in a 3 technique(his inside eye on the outside eye of the guard). Align your other D-tackle in a 1 technique(his inside eye on the outside eye of the center) away from the strength. Your strong side D-end in a tight 9 technique, He wants his inside foot aligned just outside the inside foot of the tight end(Y) to the strength. D-end away from the strength call align in a 5 tech.
Most Drive rules are Inside, Over, Near Backer or Gap,On or Gap, Down Backer.
By playing a 3 tech. to the strength, You create a Guard /tackle double team.
By playing a 1 tech to the weakside, You create a center/guard double team.
By playing your DE to the strength in a tight 9 tech, He sqeezes the tight end down, Squeezing him down eliminates an inside release on your backers and messes up any kind of G scheme. The whole point is I can absorb your whole O-line with my 4 down D-linemen by playing shade techniques. If my D line is getting doubled, Their doing their job. Teach them to attack half-man, Their visual read and when they feel the down block or double, Split it or drop. Now my 4 best atheletes playing linebackers can make plays. Cov.3 zone for secondary.
Wow so were are you coaching?! Great post and it sound like to hit the nail right on the head!
It is a good scheme, but like everything, it looks great on paper. Every play is designed to score and looks like it should easily, but it just doesn't work as you intend in the games.

If you can properly teach a young man how to "drop it" as soon as he gets put on "skates" during a double team (which most young men don't because they don't want to have to go to the ground because they feel like they were pancaked), it greatly improves almost any scheme's effectiveness.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
Yea this works but I have found that if you press L1 and hit the X button 4 times it will change you primary player until you can get close enough to the ball carrier to allow the computer to make the tackle..... You know dont want to be a glory hound and make all the tackles on X-BoX....... Now thats what I like to do..... play offense with a loaded team against a team like RICE or someother class d+ team.. make s me feel like a winner to do that.
LOL
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Getum-Choppin Wrote:Alot of coaches like to run 2 or 4 techniques, Head up on the offensive guards or tackles. That's great if you have D-tackles that can bench 300 lbs and weigh 250 or better. For teams that aren't blessed with a whole lot of strength or size you need to shade your D-tackles. Align your D-tackle to the strength in a 3 technique(his inside eye on the outside eye of the guard). Align your other D-tackle in a 1 technique(his inside eye on the outside eye of the center) away from the strength. Your strong side D-end in a tight 9 technique, He wants his inside foot aligned just outside the inside foot of the tight end(Y) to the strength. D-end away from the strength call align in a 5 tech.
Most Drive rules are Inside, Over, Near Backer or Gap,On or Gap, Down Backer.
By playing a 3 tech. to the strength, You create a Guard /tackle double team.
By playing a 1 tech to the weakside, You create a center/guard double team.
By playing your DE to the strength in a tight 9 tech, He sqeezes the tight end down, Squeezing him down eliminates an inside release on your backers and messes up any kind of G scheme. The whole point is I can absorb your whole O-line with my 4 down D-linemen by playing shade techniques. If my D line is getting doubled, Their doing their job. Teach them to attack half-man, Their visual read and when they feel the down block or double, Split it or drop. Now my 4 best atheletes playing linebackers can make plays. Cov.3 zone for secondary.
sounds familiar to me:thumpsup:
Tomcat68 Wrote:It is a good scheme, but like everything, it looks great on paper. Every play is designed to score and looks like it should easily, but it just doesn't work as you intend in the games.

If you can properly teach a young man how to "drop it" as soon as he gets put on "skates" during a double team (which most young men don't because they don't want to have to go to the ground because they feel like they were pancaked), it greatly improves almost any scheme's effectiveness.
Your exactly right Tomcat. They even start to feel like their getting driven back, If they can't split it , Gotta drop right now! Hardest thing to get them to do.
Teach that 3 tech. to attack half-man on the guard, He's gotta post and squeeze that guard down, He's controlling B gap but taking away the A gap as well by sqeezing him down into the A gap. Their gonna try to turn out on your 3 tech and run Iso or double him with the tackle because he is a gap threat for him. 3 steps, Attack half man, Squueze down, Read your visual(which is the G if your a 3 tech.) He releases in side, Gotta squeeze him down the line messes up trap or an inside release(veer) on your inside backers. Feel the double, If you can't split it, GOTTA DROP RIGHT NOW if you feel yourself getting driven back At all. Drop it! make a pile forcing back to bounce it outside to my backers. Your right though, They gotta drop if they can't split the double.
They wanna come out Double tight and try to run over me all night I'll walk the playside outside backer up in a 9 technique, Stim the playside D-end down to a 5 technique(inside eye on the outside eye of the O-tackle) and give them a 6-2 look.
I like to give multiple fronts with the 4-4 as my base. We will give a 50 look as well by walking up the backside outside backer and leaving the playside D-end in a tight 9, almost a 6 but slightly shaded outside. Great thing is technique and responsibilities stay the same. Try to keep responsibilities the same to eliminate confusion.
The defense you mention was our base defense when I played at Prestonsburg. I played the 3 tech. Everyday in practice we worked on splitting the double team. I hated this drill, but it prob. helped me more than anything for d-line. The drill we did consisted of 3 offenseive linemen and 1 defensive linemen. The coach would stand behind the d-linemen and motion which guard to come and which guard to stay. So as a d-linemen you had to attck the center and feel the pressure becuase you didn't know where it was coming from and then split it. This drill is a hard one, but it will greatly increase the d-linemens ability to read an offensive block.
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com