Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laurel County
My mom taught school in the Laurel Co system, but we lived in Somerset, so I went to Pulaski. I remember the battles that Laurel Co, and Pulaski Co had before our schools split up. Pulaski had an infant football program, so it wasn't very competitive with Laurel in those days, but the Basketball games were sometimes quite nasty. lol
Van Hagar Wrote:Love that idea. Always thought the biggest mistake made when they went to two schools was taking away the name "Laurel Co. High School." They had established so much athletic tradition, it sorta got muddled with the new names. (You've got some on here that didn't realize there ever was a Laurel Co. High!) Wish they had left it, and called the new one something a little more unique, like Levi Jackson High as suggested earlier. These directional names really wind up confusing the general population from other areas of the state and they just don't have any character.

I agree with you 100% you take away the history of the school and what it stood for. North Laurel was more Generic than original just don't have the same zing.
ColtPride Wrote:My mom taught school in the Laurel Co system, but we lived in Somerset, so I went to Pulaski. I remember the battles that Laurel Co, and Pulaski Co had before our schools split up. Pulaski had an infant football program, so it wasn't very competitive with Laurel in those days, but the Basketball games were sometimes quite nasty. lol

I remember those days very well. Basketball was a war with those schools..
I agree and have always felt getting rid of the Laurel County name was a bad idea. For example all the trophies that Laurel County won in their heyday still reside at South Laurel in their trophy case, yet many North Laurel kids were on the roster and played but had to leave when they split.
All the records went away for Laurel County and the name, it was a shame.

I've always heard the new school would be West Laurel and land was being bought out HWY 192 toward Laurel Lake which would also be the Keavy area.

Laurel County has over 60,000 people but not a lot of stuff, yes there are 3 exits on I75 that service Laurel County but as far as industry, the school system and hospitals still are the leading sources for income, which is sad for a large populated area. I think the growth rate is still just 1% according to the latest census.
Another little bit if info most probably don't know either. From about 1979 till the school split Laurel Co and Corbin wasn't allowed to play in any sport unless it was a state title game. Because of all the bad blood, fans and players combined. The last time they played before the split was a girls, boys basketball game that turned in to a gym clearing bawl fans and players. After that both schools agreed that it would be in the best interest for all not to play and the khssa agreed. So that's why when Corbin and South has had some what of a Rivalry between them. Because of the years they weren't allow to play.
3wishes Wrote:I agree and have always felt getting rid of the Laurel County name was a bad idea. For example all the trophies that Laurel County won in their heyday still reside at South Laurel in their trophy case, yet many North Laurel kids were on the roster and played but had to leave when they split.
All the records went away for Laurel County and the name, it was a shame.

I've always heard the new school would be West Laurel and land was being bought out HWY 192 toward Laurel Lake which would also be the Keavy area.

Laurel County has over 60,000 people but not a lot of stuff, yes there are 3 exits on I75 that service Laurel County but as far as industry, the school system and hospitals still are the leading sources for income, which is sad for a large populated area. I think the growth rate is still just 1% according to the latest census.
south should share some of the trophies and pictures hanging on the walls with north.laurel........now I will give-up :igiveup: :igiveup: :igiveup:
I agree with 64sur. All of the pictures on the walls, etc. should have been duplicated for the gym at North. If school colors are an issue just do the pictures at North in black and white. I've always felt that North got the short end of the stick on tradition. After all, Laurel County High School ceased to exist with the split. There's two completely new schools as far as the student body make up. The buildings at South are all that's the same, and even those have changed quite a bit.
I haven't ever noticed, but doesn't South get all of the records that Laurel County holds?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I haven't ever noticed, but doesn't South get all of the records that Laurel County holds?
No they are listed as Laurel County.
Each school has their own seperate records.