Poll: Who wins the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Collins
92.31%
Owensboro
7.69%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collins @ Owensboro 11/29 (Class 4A Semi-Final)
sstack Wrote:It is not just me, in fact there was a article in the paper this week or last week, (I will go back and find it so you can read it) where Highlands coach himself proclaimed Cov Cath the second best team in 4A and that Fridays game was going to claim the state title. He went on to list the number of years that this games winner went on to win state and the numbers are huge.

Again, I am askin u what do Owensboro, Lec C or Collins have to do to prove they are better than CC this year? It's a fair question. U wrote on another thread "Big shout out to COV CATH for playing through all their injuries this year and finishing second best team in 4A. Much improved from early in the year. Most conservative game on offense Highlands has run in years, got a three score lead and was content to run clock. Must have run ten plays on offense without a QB in the game. Got to love Dale's coaching. He knew this was biggest game to win state and was not worried about score, just the win."

So based on what u wrote above what do the remaining teams have to do to show they are better than CC?
Like Tommy said, the game has been scheduled for 3 PM Central/4 PM Eastern.

I would also like to add that Collins High School is inviting the community to attend the 3rd Annual Titan Thanksgiving Football Practice from 9-10 AM Thursday morning at Titan Stadium. Donuts and coffee will be provided for fans and WXLN radio will be covering the event live interviewing players, coaches, and fans. They will also take a commemorative group photo of everyone who attends.
sstack Wrote:No way they hang with Highlands, a very good chance it will be a running clock. Lex CATH may hang around for a half. Highlands played toughest game of playoffs on Friday.
You always seem to find your way to the Collins threads...
gamemaster Wrote:You always seem to find your way to the Collins threads...

I follow all the competition Highlands could possible face. And I was not the first to bring them into the thread, I only responded to someone who mentioned them first!
Collins easily.
I have come across some numbers thru our local sports authority that I would like to share about our Collins Titans. QB Lawson Page this season 167-272 2,870 yards with 34 TD'S to only 3 INT"S 400 yards rushing. For his carrer he has 7,338 yards with 93 TD'S 21 INT'S 1800 yards rushing. Dre Farris and Nathan Sames are both at 1,000 yards Reciving yards this year and Dre will end his carrer at Collins with over 2,000 yards both receiving and rushing. His rushing yards are down some this year with the addition of Ryan Watkins. Ryan has Rushed for about 950 yards for the year...
Of course Masai White leads the much improved D with 166 total Tackles after having 183 thru 13 games last year.
Way to go guys and thanks to the local sports authority.
As blue mentioned, the Dougie and Doggie show will be on the air thursday morning and well as the game friday night. Those of you who are not withing 20 miles of shelbyville can catch the show with live stream on WXLN.com or on your smart phone with the tune-in app.
Collins by 10
Tommy2tone Wrote:Hate to tell you that he is a Lex Cath guy and not collins guy.

What's your point? I am a LexCath guy, who is giving Collins some props. I think Im the only one that mentioned that Collins can hang with the mighty Blue Birds, right?
Yes you are and you are the one who mentioned highlands to get them blue heads foaming at the mouth....LOL you know how they are...
I think the only thing Collins has going for them in this game is Sr. lead team that has been to 3 straight semi state games. Cold, 2.5 hr bus trip, and playing at Rash Staf. 24-14 Collins
SimpTitan Wrote:Again, I am askin u what do Owensboro, Lec C or Collins have to do to prove they are better than CC this year? It's a fair question. U wrote on another thread "Big shout out to COV CATH for playing through all their injuries this year and finishing second best team in 4A. Much improved from early in the year. Most conservative game on offense Highlands has run in years, got a three score lead and was content to run clock. Must have run ten plays on offense without a QB in the game. Got to love Dale's coaching. He knew this was biggest game to win state and was not worried about score, just the win."

So based on what u wrote above what do the remaining teams have to do to show they are better than CC?

Since Highlands beat CovCath by 15 points last week, Step #1 might be stay within 2 tds of Highlands. DUH!

Just a thought. You might not agree, but the team that gives the Birds the best game in the playoffs is probably the second best team in the state. Now if the Birds get beat, then that team would move to the top.

Good luck this week, my money is on Collins over Owensboro.
Wise one Wrote:Since Highlands beat CovCath by 15 points last week, Step #1 might be stay within 2 tds of Highlands. DUH!

Just a thought. You might not agree, but the team that gives the Birds the best game in the playoffs is probably the second best team in the state. Now if the Birds get beat, then that team would move to the top.

Good luck this week, my money is on Collins over Owensboro.

Hey Duh, I mean WISEONE...if u do any reading u would know that Highlands beat CC twice 42-6 and then 28-13 but were up 28-6 in 3rd qtr and sat on it...so to say any other team else has to stay within two TDs is kind of tough...I will propose that if a team stays within a lesser avg margin at the half would be a better assessment...also, If u play Highlands year in and year out, sometimes twice a year u should do better against them... What happened to "playing against better schedule makes u a better team"? Have a Happy turkey day everyone
SimpTitan Wrote:Hey Duh, I mean WISEONE...if u do any reading u would know that Highlands beat CC twice 42-6 and then 28-13 but were up 28-6 in 3rd qtr and sat on it...so to say any other team else has to stay within two TDs is kind of tough...I will propose that if a team stays within a lesser avg margin at the half would be a better assessment...also, If u play Highlands year in and year out, sometimes twice a year u should do better against them... What happened to "playing against better schedule makes u a better team"? Have a Happy turkey day everyone

I took it that since those three teams were mentioned that what was meant was THIS YEAR and you had already conceded the championship to Highlands. So I gave an answer for 2013 only.

Well, since it is week 14, playing a better schedule this year is out of the question.

Since the latest result of Highlands vs CovCath is the only one that was the most recent and in the playoffs, I was using their latest game as a measuring stick. The result from September is ancient history for THIS year because both teams had many games between the games and CovCath had certainly improved so was not necessarily the same as they were in September.

The best way for those teams to show they are better than CovCath is to beat Highlands. However, I do not see that happening, so I still hold that for 2013, they need to stay within 2TDs of Highlands to be considered second best.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
Wise one Wrote:I took it that since those three teams were mentioned that what was meant was THIS YEAR and you had already conceded the championship to Highlands. So I gave an answer for 2013 only.

Well, since it is week 14, playing a better schedule this year is out of the question.

Since the latest result of Highlands vs CovCath is the only one that was the most recent and in the playoffs, I was using their latest game as a measuring stick. The result from September is ancient history for THIS year because both teams had many games between the games and CovCath had certainly improved so was not necessarily the same as they were in September.

The best way for those teams to show they are better than CovCath is to beat Highlands. However, I do not see that happening, so I still hold that for 2013,

they need to stay within 2TDs of Highlands to be considered second best.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Thx for reply when some will not answer a fair question... I am not conceding anything.This was not about FTH but about some already crowning CC as2nd best. FTH was up on CC in first game 35 at the half, in the 2nd game by 15 at the half...then sat on the ball...An average of 25 pts...I think it fair that if Lex Cath is within 25 pts at the half and with them playin a much tougher schedule than CC or highlands that they deserve to be ranked higher than CC...and this goes for any future opponents as well...fair enough?
WISEONE u wrote "The best way for those teams to show they are better than CovCath is to beat Highlands. However, I do not see that happening, so I still hold that for 2013, they need to stay within 2TDs of Highlands to be considered second"

I do have to disagree with this statement ...why does any other team have to BEAT highlands to prove their better than CC...something CC hasn't done in 5+ years let alone any other KY team... Unfair standard IMO...I think my standard above is more than fair...thx again
I, like these polls believe Owensboro has zero shot.
SimpTitan Wrote:WISEONE u wrote "The best way for those teams to show they are better than CovCath is to beat Highlands. However, I do not see that happening, so I still hold that for 2013, they need to stay within 2TDs of Highlands to be considered second"

I do have to disagree with this statement ...why does any other team have to BEAT highlands to prove their better than CC...something CC hasn't done in 5+ years let alone any other KY team... Unfair standard IMO...I think my standard above is more than fair...thx again

Agreed, they do not have to beat Highlands, but have to give them a tougher, more competative game than Cov Cath. The only 4A teams to play competative games has been Cov Cath and JC.
Why did the move kickoff to 3 PM CST?
mysonis55 Wrote:I, like these polls believe Owensboro has zero shot.

I sure hope everyone is right. I do believe that Collins SHOULD win this game, but you never know. They are playing on the road for the first time in quite a while and in a hostile environment. I hope the Titan Nation brings a big crowd and cheers them on to victory. The Titans have been on a roll and I think they will continue on.

Collins 31-14
sstack Wrote:Agreed, they do not have to beat Highlands, but have to give them a tougher, more competative game than Cov Cath. The only 4A teams to play competative games has been Cov Cath and JC.

For 2013, I thought I said that. And a more competitive game is a closer game than CovCath played. CovCath was down by 22 points at one time and finished 15 points down. So, be closer than 15 points. Hence my 2 tds from above.

How did JC get into the discussion? The last time they were competitive (on the field) was in 2010 when they lost 21-14. The last time JC played Highlands was in the 2011 playoffs when HHS won 67-20.
All season long, the goal for the Collins football team has been to get back to Bowling Green, site of the Class AAAA state championship game.

The Titans, last season’s runners-up, are one victory away.

If they can win today’s state semifinal at eighth-ranked Owensboro (10-3) (kickoff is set for 4 p.m. EST), the No. 5 Titans (11-2) will return to the title tilt and face the winner of tonight’s other semifinal, No. 1 Highlands (12-1) at No. 6 Lexington Catholic (10-3), at 4 p.m. EST next Saturday at Western Kentucky University’s Houchens Industries/L.T. Smith Stadium. Highlands won last year’s final, 47-0.

“We’re one game away from playing for a state championship. I know our kids are excited,” Collins Coach Jerry Lucas said. “But we know the road to Bowling Green goes through Owensboro.”

In the Red Devils the Titans likely face their toughest 4A foe of the season.

“They are an outstanding football team,” Lucas said.

Owensboro, whose only losses this season were to 5A No. 1 Bowling Green (12-0), a team many consider the best in all of the state’s six classes, 41-7, on Sept. 13; traditional 5A power Warren Central, 28-7, on Oct. 4; and 6A heavyweight Henderson County, 28-27, on Nov. 1.

The Red Devils average 37.3 points per game and allow only 16.8.

“They are really good with what they do,” Lucas said.

What Owensboro does is run the triple-option.

“They run the option as well as any team I’ve seen,” he said.

Through last week the Red Devils, who average 235.5 rushing yards, ranked fifth in 4A in that category and boast a very balanced attack, with six players averaging 21 or more rushing yards per game.

Sophomore fullback Anthony James leads with 44 yards per game (576 yards and seven TDs on 71 carries), and junior running back Airius Phillips had 43 yards per game (559 yards and nine TDs on 71 rushes). Junior quarterback Nick Locher, who has passed for 986 yards and 17 touchdowns with five interceptions this season, is third on the team with 36 rushing yards per game and leads the team with 13 rushing TDs.

Senior fullback Brandon Alessi led Owensboro with nine carries for 87 yards and one touchdown in its 21-13 victory over Franklin-Simpson in last week’s Region 1 final.

“Their option attack presents us with a different scheme than any we’ve faced,” Lucas said. “First and foremost, you are going to have to stop them from running the football to win the game.”

Last week the Titans held North Oldham, which entered the game with the top-ranked rushing attack in 4A, 68 yards below its collective average.

“We still have to play assignment football, and we’re going to have to fly to the ball,” said Lucas, whose team allows 136.4 rushing yards per game.

On the flip side, Owensboro allows just 115.8 rushing yards (the Red Devils rank second in 4A in that category) but 277.2 passing yards per game.

“For us we’re just going to do what we do,” said Lucas, whose team averages 167.1 rushing yards and 224.3 passing yards per game. “As always it should come down to turnovers and who can control the line of scrimmage.”

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/one-...title-game
Hope all of the Nation followers has a safe trip to Owensbord.
Wise one Wrote:For 2013, I thought I said that. And a more competitive game is a closer game than CovCath played. CovCath was down by 22 points at one time and finished 15 points down. So, be closer than 15 points. Hence my 2 tds from above.

How did JC get into the discussion? The last time they were competitive (on the field) was in 2010 when they lost 21-14. The last time JC played Highlands was in the 2011 playoffs when HHS won 67-20.

I was talking about Highlands run of 6 straight titles, CCH and JC are only teams to play competitive games in 4A. No one has proved on the field that they were/are able to give Highlands a more competitive game than CCH or JC over that 6 year run. So far this year it is CCH who has proved they are the second best team, but we will find out in the next two weeks if any other team left can give them a better game than CCH.
I like Collins by at least 24 points.
I hate to see that considering an ex MHS star is coaching in Owensboro.
Wise one Wrote:For 2013, I thought I said that. And a more competitive game is a closer game than CovCath played. CovCath was down by 22 points at one time and finished 15 points down. So, be closer than 15 points. Hence my 2 tds from above.

Lex Catholic gave Highlands a better game than Cov Catholic and should be considered the better team this year. LC was down big at the half, got within 7 late in the game, but lost by less (14 pts) than Cov Cath did in their TWO chances to knock Highlands off. CC gets 1-2 chances EVERY YEAR so they should be more competitive and have an advantage over a Lex Cath team that does not face them as much. Congrats Lex Cath for not giving up. Congrats also to Highlands for the excellence in your program.