Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe the off weeks are helping the Cards.
I have been more than a little concerned about the timing of the off week, the fulton games and the Marshall Co game in the Mayfield Cardinal's schedule. I have recently had a discussion with someone from the coaching staff that leads me to believe that maybe I have been overly concerned. I was speaking with some of the staff and they advised me that the boys have been hitting harder this week in practice than they have all year. I mentioned my concern about how flat we came out of this point last year in the Russellville game. I was assured that this would not be the issue this year. Apparently the boys seem to be focused. I know we have a smart bunch and I am hopeful that they have learned from last year. Just thought I would like to share that with all you Card fans.
I am going to miss the part of the schedule right up front this year. We beat probably a 2nd round 3a team in Fort Campbell. We beat most likely a semi final 6a team of McCracken. We beat most likely a semi final 3a team in Paducah-Tilghman. We beat a 3rd round 2a team of Murray. We beat probably a 3rd round 5a team of Graves Co. We are now in the down part of our schedule, but we close with 2 really good teams as well. I really like those types of games that we can get all excited about.
Mayfield is truky an elite program. Not just in 1A, but in the state. Imo it is because of the big school competion to prepare them each year. The bigger schools in our region, generally field less kids than Raceland does. In our region we only have Ashland Blazer as the big school competition, thats not seemingly in a downward spiral. Lawrence is on the rise, we will find out just how much they have come this week when they take on Belfrey. There never has and probably never will be any major consulidations in our area. So i would ventre to say Ashland will remain the big fish in a little pond for the near and distant future.

Until there is, or the County programs around here get back to big numbers and winning again, Raceland's competition will lie within its own distric(Fairview), Ashland, and Lawrence County. Or keep going across the river.