Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
82.76%
Lawrence County
17.24%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County at Belfry 10/18
Injury update for BHS...a "maybe" for JJ this week and Austin Hatfield back at fullback.
^ What about Horton and Kaleb Edwards?
From what I'm hearing everybody is back in pads practicing...except willis and johnson...
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:From what I'm hearing everybody is back in pads practicing...except willis and johnson...

whats the latest on X did he tear something? and whats the injury on JJ?
Philip Haywood

Kyle Lovern

[email]kovern@civitasmedia.com[/email]

GOODY, Ky. – If you would have told Belfry coach Philip Haywood back in August that he would be undefeated at 7-0 at this point in the season he would have strongly disagreed.

But, after several tough road games, including a win in Knoxville (Christian Academy), Tennessee last Friday night, the Pirates have an unblemished record heading into Friday night’s contest against Lawrence County (6-2) at CAM Stadium.

“To be honest, no, we had no idea where we would be at this point. That’s because we knew it would be a long process and it would take a little while for us to get things together,” Haywood said. “We had talked earlier about some of our graduation losses. We are pleasantly surprised. Our kids have played hard and things have just fallen into place.”

“They’ve made plays at the right time – so we are pleased with that,” he added.

Belfry also has notable road wins over Harlan County and Southwestern (Pulaski County), both big 5A schools.

As usual, Haywood is still not entirely happy with the way his young team has played at certain points in the game.

“At the same time we are not even close to realizing our potential,” Haywood stressed. “We graded our film and by the time we got done – we were shaking our heads and asking how did we win?”

“We are making numerous mistakes and not doing things cohesively,” Haywood added. “We’ll hit a spot here and do a few things right – then the next thing we will have somebody not doing what they are supposed to do.”

“We have not put it altogether yet. We are not yet where we need to be,” Haywood said.

Belfry has had several injuries to some skill players the last couple of weeks, but their depth has really paid off.

Last week senior Davontae Dari stepped in to the tailback spot and had a career game. Several freshmen have already gotten significant playing time and have contributed to the Pirate wins this year.

“We’ve had a few guys banged up. We were getting along pretty good then all of a sudden – bam – we were hit with some injuries,” Haywood said. “But those things happen.”

Haywood said some of those players who have been watching from the sidelines will be back in action this week. Junior running back Austin Hatfield should be ready to go this week.

Belfry will honor the 2003 state championship team on Friday night. That squad won the first title in school history.

For many it is hard to believe that it has been 10 years since that championship season.

Haywood wants to get the word out to any member of that Belfry High School 2003 Class AA State Championship football team. They will be recognized at the Belfry versus Lawrence County game on Friday. There will be a reception for all members of the team prior to the game in the cafeteria at 6:00 p.m. Introductions will be made during halftime. All members are encouraged to spread the word to their teammates. For additional information call Coach Haywood or Coach Anthony Tackett at 606-237-3900.

“That was our first state championship and that was a very special group of young men,” Haywood said. “Hopefully we will have a good turnout.”
I believe Willis was an ACL tear and JJ a shoulder injury, but I believe 1991 is referring to Cameron Johnson who is still serving his suspension. Correct me if I'm wrong,
Even if Cam Johnson is available to play this Friday, is Coach Haywood holding him out for this game for punishment?
According to the KHSAA DQ list Cam Johnson was only suspended for one game.

http://khsaa.org/httpdocs/dq_list_public/
Belfry_99 Wrote:According to the KHSAA DQ list Cam Johnson was only suspended for one game.

http://khsaa.org/httpdocs/dq_list_public/

Interesting. I had been told from the start that it was two games, but obviously I stand corrected. So maybe it was Justin Johnson he was talking about. I guess we will know for sure when they take the field tomorrow night.
Belfry has way to many weapons for this game.
I hope, pray, wish, beg, whatever it takes for the DAWGS to surprise a lot of people....I get so tired of hearing we only won because of this or that. I think most if not all dawg fans on here admit when we played a bad game and give props to teams that do great. but heck when it comes to our dawgs that's what we get treated like, DOGS. I could rant all night but I wont win or loose we will be there and will give it are best to beat Belfrey, sure there is a good chance we wont but BUT there is a chance that he just might and this team has that potential to do just that. GO DAWGS....I'm out!!
I honestly look for a very good game between these two teams. I think LC will play there best game of the year in this one. Will it be enough we won't know till after the game. But I do know that LC Respects Belfry 100% but I also know that they do not Fear them either. Just look at the history between these two programs they have had some war's. Some of the most hardest hitting games I've watched has been between these programs even when LC has been way down they have played belfry tough. I do think that Belfry has the better team do I think LC has a chance absolutely. Do I think LC will win well we are about 26 hour's away from the knowing the answer to that one. I wish both team the best yes I'll be pulling for my dawg family from up here in Indiana But as most posters know Belfry is my second favorite team in the state. I love there coach Mr. Class Act Haywood. Hope both team come away injury free and get to face each other again in a few weeks. Go Dawgs
If Justin Johnson is held out, I assume Haywood will go predominantly with Hatfield at FB and Carr and Dari at RB. I think Taylor is pretty dynamic out wide and I get the impression coach would rather not play him in the backfield unless he has to. Hopefully JJ gets back next week and we get as healthy as possible for the stretch run.

I watched Lawrence Co. scrimmage Russell back in August. I also watched the Raceland game on IHIGH. I think Cecil has put his best lineman and athletes on offense and made a decision he would try to out score opponents. The result is a pretty darn good offense. I think Lawrence will move the ball and score some points.

I don't think Lawrence defense will come close to stopping Belfry.

Belfry - 49
Lawrence - 21
Belfry is the best team in3a
I love the Bulldogs but they don't have the horses to run with Belfry this year. No shame in that though. They're a top 3 3A school this year.
BelfryTongueirateSho
Belfry wins
Will someone be able o keep us updated tonight?

Driving to Lexington... usually I can listen on my phone but about the time the game is kicking off I will be going through Jellico and then the rural areas of SKY where coverage will be going in and out.
Are the Bulldogs ready for the Big Red Machine? 5.5 hours till game time!!
I know it's hard to believe but Taylor drops the pass again. Darn the bad luck.