Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell County @ Pulaski County
bear claw Wrote:I will be honest, I have no idea what kind of team Russell County has this year so my prediction might be way off but I believe Pulaski is a great team and on a mission this year. I will take PC by at least 2 TD's. Good luck to both.

That is a consensus opinion, few people have seen Russell County, and why would anyone one want to watch the games that they have played. Russell may surprise a lot of people. One good thing about their situation, no pressure on them boys cause EVERYONE outside of the Russell County expect Pulaski to win big!!!!!!!
Pretty excited for the game as well. Should be a solid game, an adjustment I'd think will be made with the likelihood of Helton out on both sides of the ball.. With that, i think Pulaski has the players to be alright, but a tough loss nonetheless. Pulaski will be hyped coming out for their first home game, lets hope a silly turnover or mistake doesnt happen because of it... Anyways..

Pulaski 28
Russell 14
Pulaski by 14.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Wheres laker20 been?

panther nation Wrote:I agree where has laker20 been. Always has good commits.

PreacherVol71 Wrote:We all wondered who he was last year. All I can figure is that maybe his connection to the team was with one of last year's seniors. I miss him though! He always had thought out comments and you could tell he knows the game of football.

Still here guys. Started a new job this year and haven't really had the time to post. Looking forward to this game though.

From what I see, Russell County is possibly a more complete team in 2013....that doesn't mean they are better than last year. You simply can't replace Britt and Williams. Those types of players only come around every few years. But I do think that the Britt years brought enough attention to the program that it has come a long way from where it was. There's lots of excitement around Laker football.

Pulaski is legitimate. For the past couple of years they've been young with a few good players, but they are now a seasoned football team.

This game is going to come down to field position and mistakes. The Lakers will likely have to play a more perfect game to come away with the win, but I think they can.

I'm going to say the Lakers by less than a TD, but no matter who wins the game, both teams will be better come November because of this game.
I think Russell Co. is way too one deminsional to beat Pulaski. PC may not hold them to under 100 yds rushing (mostly becasue Russell will run it 99% of the time) but they will keep it in check. This year's Lakers team is no where near the complete team they had last year because of the lack of the passing game. Fletcher may be a suitable replacement for Britt but Ellis can't throw it to himself - He is their best Receiver- and Smiddy is no the QB that Mann was. Plus the old addage holds true, when you have 2 QB's , you don't have one.
On the other side, PC has shown they are a balanced football team offensively. They are playing good D. I think they are just a better team. And it will be the 1st home game for PC, so there is that added electricity.
Game will be close early, PC pulling away late. PC by 18.
wiseguy85 Wrote:I think Russell Co. is way too one deminsional to beat Pulaski. PC may not hold them to under 100 yds rushing (mostly becasue Russell will run it 99% of the time) but they will keep it in check. This year's Lakers team is no where near the complete team they had last year because of the lack of the passing game. Fletcher may be a suitable replacement for Britt but Ellis can't throw it to himself - He is their best Receiver- and Smiddy is no the QB that Mann was. Plus the old addage holds true, when you have 2 QB's , you don't have one.
On the other side, PC has shown they are a balanced football team offensively. They are playing good D. I think they are just a better team. And it will be the 1st home game for PC, so there is that added electricity.

I think you'll find they aren't one dimensional at all. They're running the spread and have an extremely mobile QB in Ellis. Then you factor in the speed of Fletcher and you have a nice combination. Up until this point the opposing defenses have just left a lot of lanes and the run game has been strong. Don't think that the Lakers can't throw the ball.

As far a multiple QBs, I think it's clear that Ellis is the guy. Smiddy has gotten some time due to the point deficits. It's a perfect time to get him comfortable with the system. It also free's Ellis up for receiving, and he is one of the most athletic in the state.

Where the Lakers are really down is in the kicking game. Williams gave them a huge advantage last year...that will be missed.
PreacherVol71 Wrote:A little more perspective
Russell County's Defense is virtually the same defense that held Boyle to 14 points in its playoffs game last year. When all is said and done this year's defense may prove even stronger. No one on here has said that we have had ANY kind of challenge thus far. But if anyone thinks that the Lakers are coming in overconfident from our three blowouts or that somehow we will be overwhelmed by Pulaski's talent you are mistaken. This group of Seniors have played PC every year in some way since they were 7th graders. They lost a varsity game as freshmen when only a few saw any time. Otherwise these Lakers are used to winning hard hitting, well played games against the maroons. Pulaski is a great team that has played a tougher schedule than us. I believe Russell County is a great team that hasn't played anyone yet to show it. Friday's game will be a good game. Turnovers may play a huge role. I do worry about our kicking game especially on kick- offs. Win or lose I believe both teams will go on to have great seasons!
yes alot of people did not realize how big the kicker was for them-every team they played had to start at the 20 yard line and drive 80 yards for a score.

laker20 Wrote:I think you'll find they aren't one dimensional at all. They're running the spread and have an extremely mobile QB in Ellis. Then you factor in the speed of Fletcher and you have a nice combination. Up until this point the opposing defenses have just left a lot of lanes and the run game has been strong. Don't think that the Lakers can't throw the ball.

As far a multiple QBs, I think it's clear that Ellis is the guy. Smiddy has gotten some time due to the point deficits. It's a perfect time to get him comfortable with the system. It also free's Ellis up for receiving, and he is one of the most athletic in the state.

Where the Lakers are really down is in the kicking game. Williams gave them a huge advantage last year...that will be missed.
PreacherVol71 Wrote:I watched the PC and Somerset game and I was impressed with their depth, discipline and talent. I know what we are walking into especially considering the outcome of the last two year's games. But, honestly I like our chances of winning a very well played hard hitting ballgame. We are fine playing the underdog it is a role we have excelled in before. We are led by twelve senoirs that are physical hard hitting football players who have played in many big ballgames! We will not be shellshocked at all. Russell County will be looking to make a big statement on Friday.
I watched the Somerset PC game also. Sat among Somerset fans, many with open mouths and shell-shocked expressions. That's something you don't see often out of Somerset fans in any sport. PC was big and fast and had little trouble taking care of business on the defense side. Riley Hall runs the offense like a veteran instead of a sophomore and they don't give the opponent much time to make defensive adjustments. Good luck Lakers.
wiseguy85 Wrote:I think Russell Co. is way too one deminsional to beat Pulaski. PC may not hold them to under 100 yds rushing (mostly becasue Russell will run it 99% of the time) but they will keep it in check. This year's Lakers team is no where near the complete team they had last year because of the lack of the passing game. Fletcher may be a suitable replacement for Britt but Ellis can't throw it to himself - He is their best Receiver- and Smiddy is no the QB that Mann was. Plus the old addage holds true, when you have 2 QB's , you don't have one.
Wise Guy, You seem to be wise about all things Russell County. Have you even seen them play this year? I'm guessing not! As far as the players that are filling the vacated spots of graduated seniors from last year, Fletcher is doing an excellent job running ball north and south. He hit the hole, make a move and then is off to the races! Blake Ellis is doing a great job of running the offense. He is probably the most athletic player on the team. As far as his ability to pass, so far he has not had to. He beats you with his feet and mind. Your right about one thing. Austin Smiddy is not the QB Mann was as a senior with a great running back, excellent receiver in Ellis and kicker that was within range anytime you crossed the 50. He is Austin Smiddy! A junior transfer that came from a horrible program! He is now in a very talented program and is learning from a great coaching staff! His future is bright!

The one thing that I won't do is compare the players of today to the players from years past. This years team is their own team and I will stack them up against any team Somerset or surrounding areas! I wish both team luck and no injuries. I have no doubt that This will be a great battle!
laker20 Wrote:I think you'll find they aren't one dimensional at all. They're running the spread and have an extremely mobile QB in Ellis. Then you factor in the speed of Fletcher and you have a nice combination. Up until this point the opposing defenses have just left a lot of lanes and the run game has been strong. Don't think that the Lakers can't throw the ball.

First, running the spread offense doesn't make you a passing team. That is about controllinghte numbers in the box to run the ball. Second. Ellis is a mobile Qb who runs it way more than he throws it, hence one deminsional. Everything you did to dispute that perception just soilidfied it. I do think the lakers can't throw the ball. I saw them not be able to throw the ball in 2 of the 3 previous games.
On an side note, my heart goes out to the family and friends of the Merideth boy who died. It's times like this that make you want to grab your kids and hold them tight a little longer. God bless you guys in Russell Co as you all deal with this tragedy.
To be fair, it's hard to get an idea of how a player is with the competition Russell has been against so far... While people say Pulaski schedule hasnt been any stiffer, the record is the only indication of that, the competition has certainly been a step above..

I mean, Taylor, Campbellsville & Casey... that's not much at all.. Not sure on Taylor, but i know Campbellsville (1A) & Casey are bottom dwellers.
wiseguy85 Wrote:First, running the spread offense doesn't make you a passing team. That is about controllinghte numbers in the box to run the ball. Second. Ellis is a mobile Qb who runs it way more than he throws it, hence one deminsional. Everything you did to dispute that perception just soilidfied it. I do think the lakers can't throw the ball. I saw them not be able to throw the ball in 2 of the 3 previous games.
On an side note, my heart goes out to the family and friends of the Merideth boy who died. It's times like this that make you want to grab your kids and hold them tight a little longer. God bless you guys in Russell Co as you all deal with this tragedy.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the Lakers have a passing game. They haven't had the need to throw the ball yet. I have a feeling that Ellis' throwing capability is a bit better than many realize.

KarnivalKat Wrote:To be fair, it's hard to get an idea of how a player is with the competition Russell has been against so far... While people say Pulaski schedule hasnt been any stiffer, the record is the only indication of that, the competition has certainly been a step above..

I mean, Taylor, Campbellsville & Casey... that's not much at all.. Not sure on Taylor, but i know Campbellsville (1A) & Casey are bottom dwellers.

Both schedules have been weak, and don't get much better...but I have to agree. Our schedule has to be one of the weakest in the state. We have two real regular season games in Pulaski Co and Knox Central. The other 8 games are simply a lost opportunity to get better and will likely haunt this team. I would love to see Wayne County, Green County, and Danville replace some of the non-district opponents.
laker20 Wrote:I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the Lakers have a passing game. They haven't had the need to throw the ball yet. I have a feeling that Ellis' throwing capability is a bit better than many realize.

Both schedules have been weak, and don't get much better...but I have to agree. Our schedule has to be one of the weakest in the state. We have two real regular season games in Pulaski Co and Knox Central. The other 8 games are simply a lost opportunity to get better and will likely haunt this team. I would love to see Wayne County, Green County, and Danville replace some of the non-district opponents.

They had a long running series with Somerset that they didn't want to renew after the 63-19 Somerset win in 2010. I wish they had kept that series going. Russell would have been more than able to hold their own the last 3 years and I know Somerset would rather make a trip to Jamestown every other year than to Perry County or Letcher Central. Garrard County would be another good team for Russell to pick up.

I know Russell County took it to Whitley the last couple of years, but im not kidding when i say that kicker made a HUGE difference. Had he not been starting a 95% run team from there own 20 every game, i think it would have been much closer. Having a high school kicker like that kid is the biggest advantage you can have.
This is the Lakers first test in the post Britt era. This will show where they are at. Are they a program or a school with a couple of good seasons.
E's Army Wrote:This is the Lakers first test in the post Britt era. This will show where they are at. Are they a program or a school with a couple of good seasons.
I think the biggest difference in the two teams tonight will be stamina-The Lakers play 9 guys both ways and some even play special teams. Pulaski does not play to many people both ways and their special teams are made up of mostly freshman and reserve sophomores for the most part. I think it will be close early on and then the Maroons edge out in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. I expect it to be a very close game. Should be a fun night!!:rockon:
PC by what ever they want. Running clock by halftime if PC wants to run the score up. Russell and Somerset would be a good game not this one.
kyfun Wrote:PC by what ever they want. Running clock by halftime if PC wants to run the score up. Russell and Somerset would be a good game not this one.

I assure you it won't be a running clock. In fact, PC likely won't reach the 40 mark, much less a 40 point spread. They may win, but it will be earned.
laker20 Wrote:I assure you it won't be a running clock. In fact, PC likely won't reach the 40 mark, much less a 40 point spread. They may win, but it will be earned.
I agree , no running clock-Russell County can play, it will be close.
meat loaf Wrote:I think the biggest difference in the two teams tonight will be stamina-The Lakers play 9 guys both ways and some even play special teams. Pulaski does not play to many people both ways and their special teams are made up of mostly freshman and reserve sophomores for the most part. I think it will be close early on and then the Maroons edge out in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. I expect it to be a very close game. Should be a fun night!!:rockon:

Are you saying 9 players play some on both sides of the ball or that 9 players rarely come off the field??? If you are saying 9 rarely come off the field could you name who they are?
:hilarious:
kyfun Wrote:PC by what ever they want. Running clock by halftime if PC wants to run the score up. Russell and Somerset would be a good game not this one.

You are clueless!!!
[quote=willseeuntheHOUSE]Are you saying 9 players play some on both sides of the ball or that 9 players rarely come off the field??? If you are saying 9 rarely come off the field could you name who they are?[/QUOT

:poker face: