Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 7 Russell 6
Final
Sounded like a sloppy but overall good game.
Like I said. Russell is not as bad as some would like to believe. This settling for field goal thing has to stop. These young guys have to learn to stock it in the end zone if you are going to have 8 minute drives.
Any stats?
Devils should have won this game. If they just coulda finished one drive then they pull off the upset Idk why ashland insisted on running right at the Russell defense and why baker only had 3 carries in the first half. Absolutely poor play calling that needs to get fixed.
Looks like the Week 9 trip to north will be fun.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Devils should have won this game. If they just coulda finished one drive then they pull off the upset Idk why ashland insisted on running right at the Russell defense and why baker only had 3 carries in the first half. Absolutely poor play calling that needs to get fixed.

Baker got his bell rung pretty good. That might explain it. I know he was out for a few plays I'm the first half after a big hit.

Again. Russell has to finish drives. They were inside the 30 yard line how many times. Little things kill them.
FBALL Wrote:Baker got his bell rung pretty good. That might explain it. I know he was out for a few plays I'm the first half after a big hit.

Again. Russell has to finish drives. They were inside the 30 yard line how many times. Little things kill them.

If he was able to be in the game he was able to get the ball. Both offenses repeatedly banged there heads against the wall hoping for different results.
I feel your pain. Russell's play calling right now is painful.
Congrats to the Tomcats on the win of this defensive battle.
FBALL Wrote:Like I said. Russell is not as bad as some would like to believe. This settling for field goal thing has to stop. These young guys have to learn to stock it in the end zone if you are going to have 8 minute drives.

as I posted before, russells offense isn't that young. one frosh, one soph, the rest are jr and seniors.This is the worse Russell offesive team ive seen in awhile. Its a combination of players and coaching. Smith is the worse play caller ive seen. No pass blocking whatsoever, qb running for his life on every pass. Good job by the defense. still think they need to platoon, you could tell the line was wore out in the fourth
You get no argument from me on rotating players in. I agree the players are there to keep
guys fresh.

I think you have 5 seniors starting on offense and 5 on defense. One if those seniors just transferred to Russell this year.

Your QB a sophomore and top RB is a freshman. Most of these juniors never started a game until this year. Then you have some sophomore and junior lineman that I agree need to see some playing time. To me that's a young team.
I believe its 6 Sr's, 3 Jr's, on offense. That's not that young. It dosent matter if one is a transfer, he's still a Sr. I have no complaint about the defense, just that they should platoon some. I just think Russell is in real trouble offensively. I don't know if personell changes would matter with smith calling the plays.. if they can't score on boyd, the're in trouble
Center, 2 tackles, an end and the fullback are seniors right now.
Congrats Ashland on the win.
Hate to keep going over it, but I like to get things strait when I can. The two ends are Sr's, the center and two tackles are Sr's, the fullback, all 145 lbs of him, is a Sr. That's six. The Arnold kid started. But no matter, the bottom line is no one is getting the job done except lonley. That's all him because the same line is blocking for the other backs. I don't know why they don't use peterman and potter. Both are hard nose kids.they would get better blocking from them. Thompson being used as a fb is a joke. I just hope conley can hold up, he's playing just about every snap on both sides of the ball.
Honest question mightydog. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. Is May not starting at end now? He was the first game.
Paven Downs and JT Howell I thought. It dosent matter though, I could be wrong. I'm almost to the point of not caring. The coaches must not care very much, they haven't done one single thing in 3games to at least try and change things
I will say I agree with you we would be much better if some of these younger kids were given an opportunity.

Depth in football is invaluable.