Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Coach
What are the requirements to become a high school football coach in Kentucky?
such as do u gotta play high school football ....do u got 2 have some college education???
You have to have at least 64 college credit hours and be hired by the BOE... from my understanding that is... could have changed in the last couple of years!!
I think that you have to be a teacher/administrator at most schools, so that would require college.

Not sure about this, but I think I remember hearing that you have to have a college degree to coach any sport.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beef Wrote:I think that you have to be a teacher/administrator at most schools, so that would require college.

Not sure about this, but I think I remember hearing that you have to have a college degree to coach any sport.
I don't think that is true I know here in Lawrence Co up untill last year are Softball coach never had any collage I think he worked at the power plant here in Louisa he coached them for about 3 or 4 years and I would think that would be the same rules that would apply to A head football coach but like every one else I'm not sure but I do know he never had any degree and little if any collage.
Dawg Family Wrote:I don't think that is true I know here in Lawrence Co up untill last year are Softball coach never had any collage I think he worked at the power plant here in Louisa he coached them for about 3 or 4 years and I would think that would be the same rules that would apply to A head football coach but like every one else I'm not sure but I do know he never had any degree and little if any collage.

i heard you have to have a education or be a member of the schools certified staff but i dont kno if any of thats true so thats what im tryin to find out
21 years old 64 hours
and a NFHAA coaching class and the khsaa bylaws class both are offered several times a year by the KHSAA
different counties have different requirments
but those are the minimum requirements established by the KHSAA
Doc Holliday Wrote:21 years old 64 hours
and a NFHAA coaching class and the khsaa bylaws class both are offered several times a year by the KHSAA
different counties have different requirments
but those are the minimum requirements established by the KHSAA

:thumpsup: thx for the info
I know that Jackie Crisp, John Derossett, James Derossett, and Jack Pack are teachers at Prestonsburg and they coach sports at Prestonsburg ! But the baseball coach dosnt teach at PHS ! So I really don't know but I was also intrested in becoming a coach in the near future !
blackcat_student Wrote:I know that Jackie Crisp, John Derossett, James Derossett, and Jack Pack are teachers at Prestonsburg and they coach sports at Prestonsburg ! But the baseball coach dosnt teach at PHS ! So I really don't know but I was also intrested in becoming a coach in the near future !
My advice to you is the same as what I tell my own kids get you a good education and become what ever you want to be in life .:Thumbs:
Dawg Family Wrote:My advice to you is the same as what I tell my own kids get you a good education and become what ever you want to be in life .:Thumbs:
What happens if a person has a mental illness that causes him/her to be disabled, but he/she is still capable of coaching part time with help? Seems as if this is a bit unfair to thosde with mental illnesses that cannot either go to college, or finish college.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:What happens if a person has a mental illness that causes him/her to be disabled, but he/she is still capable of coaching part time with help? Seems as if this is a bit unfair to thosde with mental illnesses that cannot either go to college, or finish college.
If this is the case then maybe a head coaching job in High school isn't obtainable
but maybe you could find your self a partner that can coach full time and get down into the youth leauge's and share your time and knowledge with the young people I know I'm not the most educated guy my self but I have helped in are youth programs for years and I loved every minite of it . Now thier might not be any money involved here but the feeling you will get from helping out the kids is priceless. But if you are doing it for money then I would say you better find a way to get a good education. Good Luck friend :thumpsup:
Dawg Family Wrote:If this is the case then maybe a head coaching job in High school isn't obtainable
but maybe you could find your self a partner that can coach full time and get down into the youth leauge's and share your time and knowledge with the young people I know I'm not the most educated guy my self but I have helped in are youth programs for years and I loved every minite of it . Now thier might not be any money involved here but the feeling you will get from helping out the kids is priceless. But if you are doing it for money then I would say you better find a way to get a good education. Good Luck friend :thumpsup:
The money has no place in it, for me anyway. I love football, and I want to help the local program out so that my son can play for a more competitive team. I have 33 hours of college, but I could not finish unfortunately. Thank you for the advice.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

I'm pretty sure that you can be an assist. coach though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think a couple of years ago they pass it that you no longer had to be a teacher or admin at the school. I know for a fact that when Jeff Hall was the Head Coach at Rose Hill he was employed threw the school other than the head Coach. He had another full time job at AK Steel or something like that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
thx for the info guys im really lookin forward to becoming a high school football coach someday, i kno a lot of head coaches are P.E teachers, how coaches do u know thats a pe teacher?
What county are you in?? IF your in Pike Co. they are giving the class that you would need to coach/assist on Wednesday... at the Pike Co. BOE. 10:30 a.m.... hope this helps!!!
I think u have to be part of that school
I know that you don't have to ba a poart of that school for other sports such as soccer and golf, but then again, that may have just been a special thing done.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
There will likely be a background check and a drug test involved.
OKAY... You do NOT have to be a part of the school to volunteer or coach. You have to have 64 college hours, be HIRED as a paraprofessional by the district you are in, and have a criminal background check completed. IF you don't have the college hours, you can still compete a class (given through the district at the BOE) and complete the background check and volunteer your time. The difference in the 2 is that the paraprofessional CAN be a head coach and get paid for his/her services. Volunteers are just that... volunteers!!!
(Had the class today myself... so I know in Pike Co. this is how it works!!)
phs1986 Wrote:OKAY... You do NOT have to be a part of the school to volunteer or coach. You have to have 64 college hours, be HIRED as a paraprofessional by the district you are in, and have a criminal background check completed. IF you don't have the college hours, you can still compete a class (given through the district at the BOE) and complete the background check and volunteer your time. The difference in the 2 is that the paraprofessional CAN be a head coach and get paid for his/her services. Volunteers are just that... volunteers!!!
(Had the class today myself... so I know in Pike Co. this is how it works!!)

thx for the info ...are u gonna become a football coach or another coach?
don't think I will coach football.... I am female!! LOL.. thanks for asking tho!!! I will coaching under the "other" section! Smile
phs1986 Wrote:don't think I will coach football.... I am female!! LOL.. thanks for asking tho!!! I will coaching under the "other" section! Smile
phs1986..I believe you would be a better coach than most on this site, no matter the sport!
1. you have to be a little insane
2. willing to take verbal punishment
3. willing to be a dad to 50 boys
4. willing to be driven crazy by kids who wont keep their grades up.
5. willing to work for 17 cents an hour
6. willing to loose sleep
7. willing to clean up everything
8. willing to mow a very large field
9. willing to use your own money to buy things
10. willing to be frustrated

These are the real requirements for a coach these days
johnnyd Wrote:1. you have to be a little insane

well im ready for the task :thumpsup:
fox sports Wrote:phs1986..I believe you would be a better coach than most on this site, no matter the sport!

LOLOL... you don't know how much this one made the hubby laugh!!! LOL... I love being around these youngins though... On any given night you might find 5 or 6 here!!! LOL... HEY... that is a basketball team isn't it! J/K Thanks tho for the kind words... Smile
You must have at least half of a brain and a heartbeat.......and the heartbeat is optional at some eastern KY schools. haha just kiddin good ole football coaches!!
johnnyd Wrote:1. you have to be a little insane

OKAY... here we go....
1. I qualify for this one....
2. Talk doesn't hurt my ears.....
3. Can we change this to mom?
4. I work at school....
5. Will work for free for the kids.....
6. Sleep... WHAT'S sleep???
7. Do it all the time at the ballfield and home (when the boys are visiting)
8. Yep... ridin lawnmowers are AWESOME
9. How many Big Mac meals was that now??
10. There are always rewards for all the frustration you feel when you deal with kids.

Wasn't being a smart butt just thought this would be a cute comeback!! LOL....