Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little bit of bragging rights for West Ky
I just watched the West Ky Allstars destroy the Southern Ill Allstars last Friday. The score does not indicate how lopsided the game was. I think it finished at 42-20. While we were watching this game we were checking out the program. Since we were in SIU it was done by personnel there and they had a section in which they were proud to report how they had done in the past. One of the things they had listed was the So Ill Schools in State Finals since 1980. They had 6 state championships since then. They also had 8 state runners up in that time.

This got me thinking. I decided to do a little research. I checked the titles and runners up for the schools that had players present on the West Ky Allstar team. I was doing this just for the schools that had players present, so I know there are others that have titles, like several by Fort Campbell. I was only able to go back to 1998 since that is all that I can find on KHSAA site. I was able to find that since 1998 these schools had 8 state runners up years and 5 state champions. That is only 1 short of what So Ill had since 1980.

I know just with Mayfield alone if we went back to 1980 we could add 4 more state runners up and 4 more state champions.
mysonis55 Wrote:I just watched the West Ky Allstars destroy the Southern Ill Allstars last Friday. The score does not indicate how lopsided the game was. I think it finished at 42-20. While we were watching this game we were checking out the program. Since we were in SIU it was done by personnel there and they had a section in which they were proud to report how they had done in the past. One of the things they had listed was the So Ill Schools in State Finals since 1980. They had 6 state championships since then. They also had 8 state runners up in that time.

This got me thinking. I decided to do a little research. I checked the titles and runners up for the schools that had players present on the West Ky Allstar team. I was doing this just for the schools that had players present, so I know there are others that have titles, like several by Fort Campbell. I was only able to go back to 1998 since that is all that I can find on KHSAA site. I was able to find that since 1998 these schools had 8 state runners up years and 5 state champions. That is only 1 short of what So Ill had since 1980.

I know just with Mayfield alone if we went back to 1980 we could add 4 more state runners up and 4 more state champions.

mayfield rock ConfusedmallcheeConfusedmallcheeConfusedmallchee
I'm not sure who organizes this game - but it seems like they go to great lengths to not publicize it. I believe it was played at Murray State last year and there was hardly any pregame publicity or much media interest. The Carbondale paper covers this thing in depth with pictures and pregame stories. Not much coverage in the Wky media.
That is an awesome nugget of information. What is more is more impressive is that IL was 6 classes from 1980 to 2001. KY went from 4 to 6 in 2007.
It's funny you should say that about the publicity or lack thereof. I was just thinking the same thing. I didn't even know about it until a good friend of mine came to watch my son at a baseball game and told me about it. That was on Wed of the week it was played. Well you know, once I heard about it, I was going.

I was very impressed with the qb from Calloway, the receiver and running back from Christian Co and of course we had JJ and Katzman doing well at running back and JJ on defense. I found out the rb from Christian is also going to Murray State next year. Fella's, Murray State appears to be loaded for the future. If you get a chance come out and watch, I know we will.
FYI... Here are a few things the local press did in covering the West KY vs Southern Ill All Star game. I also listed a roster for those interested.

http://paducahsun.com/view/full_story/22...igh_school

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/sports/West-Ke...54021.html

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/sports/highsch...16111.html

http://thesouthern.com/sports/high-schoo...f887a.html

2013 WKFCA ALL STARS

Number Name Position School
1 Juan Jones DB Christian Co.
2 Brock Herndon K/P Marshall Co.
3 Jordan Brown WR Mayfield
4 Mason Weir RB Ballard Co.
5 Zach Katzman RB Graves Co.
6 Kory Mosley RB Christian Co.
7 Kenneth Brammett RB Union Co.
8 Dante Howard LB Murray
9 Jonathon Jackson LB Mayfield
10 Ryan Knight QB Christian Co.
11 Garrett Fann WR Hopkinsville
12 Jeff Alexander WR Christian Co.
13 Alex Ward K/P Murray
14 Dondre Jackson LB Mayfield
15 Robert Bell DB Hopkinsville
16 David Wease WR Trigg Co.
17 Tyler Greer QB Calloway Co.
18 Noah Steele WR Marshall Co.
19 Tez Sivils WR Caldwell Co.
20 Casey White LB Marshall Co.
21 Andre Phillips DB Murray
22 Domontrial Pierce DB Fulton Co.
24 Anthony Dyson DB Christian Co.
25 Jaleel Lee LB Murray
30 Jamie Gilland DB Marshall Co.
32 Bobby Knox LB Crittenden Co.
50 Travis Cunningham DL Hopkinsville
52 Khalil Fram DL Fulton City
53 Drayton Simmons DL Fort Campbell
54 Alex Beck DL Graves Co.
58 Hunter Harris OL Graves Co.
64 John McGee DL Trigg Co.
66 Zack Perry DL Lone Oak
70 Darius Catlet OL Murray
75 Kendall Calhoun OL Paducah Tilghman
76 Grant Towery OL Graves Co.
78 Jason Smith OL Lone Oak
78 Eli Wilson OL Graves Co.
79 Koty Hixs OL Fort Campbell

Head Coach: Lance Gregory - Graves County
Asst. Coaches: Ron Barnard - Marshall, Steve Lovelace - Christian,
Brad Lawson - Calloway Les May - Graves,
John Wiggins - Graves, Bobby Potts - Graves Nick Kemp - Graves, Jarod Fite - Graves
Bryan Lovely - Christian
WKFCA President: Ron Barnard - Marshall County
WKFCA Vice President: David Barnes - Caldwell County
WKFCA Treasurer: Bob Nelson
mysonis55 Wrote:It's funny you should say that about the publicity or lack thereof. I was just thinking the same thing. I didn't even know about it until a good friend of mine came to watch my son at a baseball game and told me about it. That was on Wed of the week it was played. Well you know, once I heard about it, I was going.

I was very impressed with the qb from Calloway, the receiver and running back from Christian Co and of course we had JJ and Katzman doing well at running back and JJ on defense. I found out the rb from Christian is also going to Murray State next year. Fella's, Murray State appears to be loaded for the future. If you get a chance come out and watch, I know we will.

Hopefully some of those are defensive players. You aren't going to win too many games giving up 41.4 points per game like the Racers did last season. They had a good offense though. I'm looking forward to the trip over to Murray this season to watch EKU play them. My son went to Governor's Scholars over there in 2011 and he worked out with a couple of their players, now he'll be playing against them--well unless they were seniors last year.
Good to see any part of the state doing well against out of state competetion.

Congrats to the WKY players.
i think KY football is underrated in general. WKy, Lou, Lex, NKy and the mountains all have great football, each in their own right. its a dynamic landscape of styles and scales of play. and it seems like we beat the best from other states all the time.
....and its growing...
i think KY football is underrated in general. WKy, Lou, Lex, NKy and the mountains all have great football, each in their own right. its a dynamic landscape of styles and scales of play. and it seems like we beat the best from other states all the time.
....and its growing...
Murray State got themselves a new defensive coordinator. They also picked up Jonathan Jackson. I think they also picked up LaBront Scott. This should upgrade the defense. Hopefully they can hold that down to 21 points or less per game now. I agree with you Birdman. I have noticed some of this for a while. in 2009, we played the 2009 state AA champions in Tn. We beat them. We went on to loose to Lexington Christian in the state championship. That would mean they were even good enough to win class A here in Ky. We almost always seem to beat Milan in our annual scrimmage anymore. They then seem to be going to state in AAA in Tn. Then you look at what Trinity has had the last few years. I think people should really start to pay Ky a little respect as far as High School Football goes. You have a very valid point.
55 do you still talk to JJ's dad. Jonathan came in the restaurant Sat he looks like he has put on 15 to 20lb of muscle since seasons end. I pretty sure Scott is at Murray. That is two defensive players who I think could have really contributed at the div 1 level. When a div 2 gets those kind of kids that is when you see real defensive improvement.
Congrats WKY!! Way to represent.
Labront Scott has not shown the emotional maturity to respect authority enough to play anywhere. Just because he signed to Murray State by no means is predictive that he will stay at Murray State. When you crap in the nest at Mayfield HS and then at Murray HS, you really have to wonder. He had the services of two of the best HS FB coaches and programs in the entire state of Ky - Joe Morris and Steve Duncan, and he walked.

One thing you learn when you move up to the next level. You adjust to the program. The program does not adjust to you. Lets hope Scott stays on message.
Yes I still talk with Pete a lot. He has been telling me how he wished JJ had another year at MHS. He said it would be bad for everyone else if he did, because he is so much stronger now. I told him if there was some way that we could petition the state to get some special help, we would have more than enough signatures.

Tica, I couldn't agree more about the fact that LaBront has got to own up. I know the kid and he has always been respectful to me. I am hoping very much that he has learned his lesson. He is a really smart kid and his abilities could take him very very far if he channels his emotions in the proper way.
mysonis55 Wrote:Murray State got themselves a new defensive coordinator. They also picked up Jonathan Jackson. I think they also picked up LaBront Scott. This should upgrade the defense. Hopefully they can hold that down to 21 points or less per game now. I agree with you Birdman. I have noticed some of this for a while. in 2009, we played the 2009 state AA champions in Tn. We beat them. We went on to loose to Lexington Christian in the state championship. That would mean they were even good enough to win class A here in Ky. We almost always seem to beat Milan in our annual scrimmage anymore. They then seem to be going to state in AAA in Tn. Then you look at what Trinity has had the last few years. I think people should really start to pay Ky a little respect as far as High School Football goes. You have a very valid point.

I wouldn't count on a couple of true freshmen making almost a 17 point per game difference in the defense but getting a new coordinator is a move in the right direction. Last year's coordinator should have been teaching bullfighting, not football.
I didn't base that only on the freshmen coming in. They already had some boys that weren't being used yet last year that will help and they got a new def coordinator. Anyone that calls themselves a def coordinator and allows that much scoring needs to rethink their life's calling.