Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 th Region Championship info
Interesting stat is that this will be the first time since 2003 when Allen Central won, that the Trophy will reside somewhere other than Pikeville or the 57th district. Pikeville has won three times, LC 3 time, JC twice and SC once in that span.

Prestonsburg or Belfry will represent the 15 th well and congrats and good luck to both teams. Shane Simpkins has changed baseball in Prestonsburg big time.
Forgot but Kudos to the 57th, 6 titles in 9 years, impressive.
Looking on the KHSAA Baseball Records

Since 1999 Belfry is 0-3 in Regional Finals (01, 08 & 10) while Prestonsburg has not been in a reginal final.

On the composite state records - Belfry last trip to State Tournament was 1961 (52 years)while Prestonsburg was 1948 (65 years)!!!
(State Tournament Appearances does not include the old format of 4 sectional)

Is this correct?
I bet that is correct. I thought Belfry might have been in the 80's or 90's. However I think the KHSAA only recognized the Final Four and then the Final Eight until they went to the 16 team format as being in the State Tournament. So there might possibly be Region titles that were not State Tournament appearances.
Commanche Wrote:Interesting stat is that this will be the first time since 2003 when Allen Central won, that the Trophy will reside somewhere other than Pikeville or the 57th district. Pikeville has won three times, LC 3 time, JC twice and SC once in that span.

Prestonsburg or Belfry will represent the 15 th well and congrats and good luck to both teams. Shane Simpkins has changed baseball in Prestonsburg big time.

I bet that stat is the same if you go back another decade as well! Simpkins has done a good job at Prestonsburg! The 58th has been dominated by Allen Central over the last 4 decades if you look at total district titles! That trend has changed over the last few years. Based on the handful of games I got to watch this year I think the 58th with Prestonsburg an Allen Central could be really fun to watch the next couple years. Wouldn't be surprised to see another region title come from that district in the near future! Good talent and well Coached teams. As always just the opinion of an outsider looking in!
Prestonsburg also won the state championship in 1948.

Wink
Joneslab Wrote:I bet that stat is the same if you go back another decade as well! Simpkins has done a good job at Prestonsburg! The 58th has been dominated by Allen Central over the last 4 decades if you look at total district titles! That trend has changed over the last few years. Based on the handful of games I got to watch this year I think the 58th with Prestonsburg an Allen Central could be really fun to watch the next couple years. Wouldn't be surprised to see another region title come from that district in the near future! Good talent and well Coached teams. As always just the opinion of an outsider looking in!

not picking a fight here, but the 58th isn't that difficult to win year in year out. you have p-burg, allen central, south floyd, and betsy layne? this is why i believe the 57th is getting screwed with the current setup. you had the #5 seed in the 57th beat the #1 seed, then go to the region and have pikeville lefty on the ropes for most of the game. you have pikeville and belfry that have cake walks to the region each year while the 57th is knocking each other off and at least 1 if not 2 teams out of it that are better than shelby valley, or phelps, or teams like that.

i've been hearing rumors of a potential change to get rid of districts and go to just an all regional tournament. each team plays the others once and seed it, then have a 2 week tournament to decide the winner. that sounds more fun and a better chance of getting the true champion, and your best teams.

anyways congrats prestonsburg. it was a great game and a great atmosphere. also thanks to belfry for being a very good host. wish my team had pulled it out last night but they didn't and that's how it goes. lawrence is extremely loaded with young talent and should make a few more runs in years to come.
lchsalumnus Wrote:not picking a fight here, but the 58th isn't that difficult to win year in year out. you have p-burg, allen central, south floyd, and betsy layne? this is why i believe the 57th is getting screwed with the current setup. you had the #5 seed in the 57th beat the #1 seed, then go to the region and have pikeville lefty on the ropes for most of the game. you have pikeville and belfry that have cake walks to the region each year while the 57th is knocking each other off and at least 1 if not 2 teams out of it that are better than shelby valley, or phelps, or teams like that.

i've been hearing rumors of a potential change to get rid of districts and go to just an all regional tournament. each team plays the others once and seed it, then have a 2 week tournament to decide the winner. that sounds more fun and a better chance of getting the true champion, and your best teams.

anyways congrats prestonsburg. it was a great game and a great atmosphere. also thanks to belfry for being a very good host. wish my team had pulled it out last night but they didn't and that's how it goes. lawrence is extremely loaded with young talent and should make a few more runs in years to come.

Well sir, you have picked a fight/argument! My first suggestion to you would be to waddle your fat troll ass back under the bridge and say billy goat gruff! I'm not on this site much but it's obvious you are the class D%#K Head of BGR. My comment did not doubt the historical supremacy of the 57th District! Hell I admitted it! All I did was say congrats to Prestonsburg and suggest the 58th District might be really good then next few years! Are the districts screwed up, of course they are! A very easy solution for the 57th would be to send LC packing back to the 16th! From a logistics standpoint LC doesnt belong! Oh, and AC did beat that #5 seed that beat the #1 seed in the 57th twice on the year!
I've always been told we've never won region, but I've also heard we went to the state tourney in 61... so I don't know what the case is.
Joneslab Wrote:Well sir, you have picked a fight/argument! My first suggestion to you would be to waddle your fat troll ass back under the bridge and say billy goat gruff! I'm not on this site much but it's obvious you are the class D%#K Head of BGR. My comment did not doubt the historical supremacy of the 57th District! Hell I admitted it! All I did was say congrats to Prestonsburg and suggest the 58th District might be really good then next few years! Are the districts screwed up, of course they are! A very easy solution for the 57th would be to send LC packing back to the 16th! From a logistics standpoint LC doesnt belong! Oh, and AC did beat that #5 seed that beat the #1 seed in the 57th twice on the year!

wow. a lot of hostility there. no, the easy solution is not to send lawrence back to the 16th. you say it is logistical? well lawrence would then be just as far away from teams in the 16th as it is from the 15th. then lawrence would be in a problem there, too. the easy simple solution is to try to even it out. why have one five team district, and two three team districts? that makes no sense.

now before your buddies get on board and call me a troll and all other bad things, i apologize for making it seem as if i was being negative. i was simply saying there are some problems. perhaps if you would have been calmed it wouldn't have blown up? facts are facts. the teams in the 57th, and when i say teams i refer to johnson central and paintsville, want lawrence back to the 16th because they like their easy road to the regional tourney. teams south of paintsville want lawrence out because it strengthens the 57th in the regional tourney. you site logistics and travel or natural fit, well that's fine. but fact is that lawrence traveling to west carter is no different that going to pikeville. hell, it's actually easier for lawrence to go to pikeville.
I will say this. The two best teams of the Tourny are in the Championship. I will also say BIG CONGRATS to BOTH!!!!

Now, it's no secret I''m not an LC fan. BUT, I could care less if they are in the 16th or 15th. The problem in our Region is the two 3 team Districts.
Half (4) the Region field comes from 6 teams in Pike Co. The other half (4) come from the rest of the NINE TEAMS left. I'm sorry.... But, it's not fair to the 57th or the 58th.

Now that being said. GO Blackcats!!!! Gotta support our former Tiger Coach Simpkins!!!! LOL!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Some people turn interesting threads into an argument. Interesting thought about realignment, but Pike County is the largest land mass county east if the Mississippi. Phelps is the same drive time as LC for Pikeville. There has been talk of SC going to the 60th, that would give them an hour and a half drive to Phelps. Don't know the answer but if you think Pikeville likes a three team district your crazy. It is a wasted four games in my book. Nobody can help the three and five seed won the 57th. This started as a compliment and lchsalumnus turns it into an argument about the 57th getting screwed. TROLL elsewhere little buddy and maybe this will be a decent conversation piece.
Good luck Blackcats!!!!
P-Burg wins 5-3
Commanche Wrote:Some people turn interesting threads into an argument. Interesting thought about realignment, but Pike County is the largest land mass county east if the Mississippi. Phelps is the same drive time as LC for Pikeville. There has been talk of SC going to the 60th, that would give them an hour and a half drive to Phelps. Don't know the answer but if you think Pikeville likes a three team district your crazy. It is a wasted four games in my book. Nobody can help the three and five seed won the 57th. This started as a compliment and lchsalumnus turns it into an argument about the 57th getting screwed. TROLL elsewhere little buddy and maybe this will be a decent conversation piece.

sorry but you must not know what trolling is. i simply stated the obvious. the current setup is flawed. why should the two 3 team districts get half of the regional allotments? it is also about 30 miles closer for lawrence to travel to phelps as it is for them to travel to bath county. so the argument that is always brought up about logistics and travel is thrown out the window. lawrence is in the 15th and will remain.

sorry you think what i'm saying is trolling. but the fact remains that the pike county schools are doing everything they can to prevent any changes because of the easiness they have to get to the regional tourney. now i'm not saying this in a bad way because you and i both know that if the situation were different and the 57th was an easy 3-team district, lawrence or jc or paintsville or sheldon clark would all be fighting change, too. but things need to be changed or altered to make it more fair. that's all i'm saying.
lchsalumnus Wrote:sorry but you must not know what trolling is. i simply stated the obvious. the current setup is flawed. why should the two 3 team districts get half of the regional allotments? it is also about 30 miles closer for lawrence to travel to phelps as it is for them to travel to bath county. so the argument that is always brought up about logistics and travel is thrown out the window. lawrence is in the 15th and will remain.

sorry you think what i'm saying is trolling. but the fact remains that the pike county schools are doing everything they can to prevent any changes because of the easiness they have to get to the regional tourney. now i'm not saying this in a bad way because you and i both know that if the situation were different and the 57th was an easy 3-team district, lawrence or jc or paintsville or sheldon clark would all be fighting change, too. but things need to be changed or altered to make it more fair. that's all i'm saying.

Troll aka Whiner, let me break it down by population, Pike County has 64,178 people, Floyd has 38,949, Johnson 23,383, Lawrence 15,848, Magoffin 13,041, and Martin 12,743. Percentage is Pike 38%, Floyd 23%, Johnson 14%. Lawrence 9%, Magoffin 8%, and Martin 8% of the 15th Regions population. Half the field doesnt look so out of sync now does it. Also you are complaining because Pike County has two consolidations. Millard and Elkhorn consolidated to create East Ridge, and Dorton and Virgie consolidated to create SV. Lawrence County, Johnson, Magoffin and Martin only have one school each other than Painstville which is private. Should Pike County have lost a spot because they chose to consolidate and save money?

I agree there should be no 3 team districts but give me the solution and not the whiney we got screwed explanation. Why not complain during basketball when the 59th gets screwed and has three teams that should be in the regional? Guys there is no fix for this because from time to time districts will be loaded with talent and good teams dont make it out of district. The 57th has been a hotbed for baseball the last decade or two. Pikeville and Pike County still have to beat two 57th teams to win region every year and whoever from the 15th is in the bracket opposite Pikeville usually only has one tough game to win region. This year is an exception and congrats to Belfry and Pburg on a great season.

There are six of the 15 teams in the region from Pike County or 40%. Also with 15 teams there is always gonna be one 3 team district. So if geography doesnt explain it to you maybe these stats will at least convince you that it is not to unbalanced. The 15th cant help that LC is so far to one end of the Region. Could just make a 17th region and automatically put LC in the State Tourney every year.
:Thumbs:
Commanche Wrote:Troll aka Whiner, let me break it down by population, Pike County has 64,178 people, Floyd has 38,949, Johnson 23,383, Lawrence 15,848, Magoffin 13,041, and Martin 12,743. Percentage is Pike 38%, Floyd 23%, Johnson 14%. Lawrence 9%, Magoffin 8%, and Martin 8% of the 15th Regions population. Half the field doesnt look so out of sync now does it. Also you are complaining because Pike County has two consolidations. Millard and Elkhorn consolidated to create East Ridge, and Dorton and Virgie consolidated to create SV. Lawrence County, Johnson, Magoffin and Martin only have one school each other than Painstville which is private. Should Pike County have lost a spot because they chose to consolidate and save money?

I agree there should be no 3 team districts but give me the solution and not the whiney we got screwed explanation. Why not complain during basketball when the 59th gets screwed and has three teams that should be in the regional? Guys there is no fix for this because from time to time districts will be loaded with talent and good teams dont make it out of district. The 57th has been a hotbed for baseball the last decade or two. Pikeville and Pike County still have to beat two 57th teams to win region every year and whoever from the 15th is in the bracket opposite Pikeville usually only has one tough game to win region. This year is an exception and congrats to Belfry and Pburg on a great season.

There are six of the 15 teams in the region from Pike County or 40%. Also with 15 teams there is always gonna be one 3 team district. So if geography doesnt explain it to you maybe these stats will at least convince you that it is not to unbalanced. The 15th cant help that LC is so far to one end of the Region. Could just make a 17th region and automatically put LC in the State Tourney every year.

your hatred or animosity towards lawrence is evident when a paintsville guy on here poses the same problem and you simply attack me as if it were I who brought it up. off the hook is the guy who stated the imbalance of pike county teams vs the rest of the region. i simply restated what he said.

now you bring up population, what the **** does that have to do with anything sports related? that's grasping at straws if you ask me. because pike has more people they should get more teams? wow. and the basketball reference is getting on my last nerve. why can't basketball and baseball/softball be separate entities all together? why must a change in baseball also be made in basketball, or visa versa? fact is we wouldn't be having this discussion if the khsaa would step up and class baseball like football. that is a FACT!

nowhere was i whining or upset because lawrence got beat. i stated in other threads that prestonsburg had a good team and got the job done. congrats on that. but that shouldn't stop me from voicing my displeasures and concerns about future regional tournaments. do you think it is fair that the teams in the 57th may have to win 2 games in the district tourney to get to the region (ex. sheldon clark) while pikeville or belfry don't even have to win 1 game in their district tourney to get there, just because they finished #1 in seeding?
FYI - Belfry was a 2 seed & had to win the same number of games as LC to get to the region.
Commanche Wrote:Troll aka Whiner, let me break it down by population, Pike County has 64,178 people, Floyd has 38,949, Johnson 23,383, Lawrence 15,848, Magoffin 13,041, and Martin 12,743. Percentage is Pike 38%, Floyd 23%, Johnson 14%. Lawrence 9%, Magoffin 8%, and Martin 8% of the 15th Regions population. Half the field doesnt look so out of sync now does it. Also you are complaining because Pike County has two consolidations. Millard and Elkhorn consolidated to create East Ridge, and Dorton and Virgie consolidated to create SV. Lawrence County, Johnson, Magoffin and Martin only have one school each other than Painstville which is private. Should Pike County have lost a spot because they chose to consolidate and save money?

Paintsville is not a private school it is public, in a independent school district. Iv always wondered why people though it was private?

As for your arguments, there really is no good answer for the 15th region.
X Factor Wrote:FYI - Belfry was a 2 seed & had to win the same number of games as LC to get to the region.

how many times has this been the case? plus, you had to beat phelps. not exactly a paintsville, who was also good enough to make a run in the region this year.
Hey guys, I got an idea... let's quit arguing bout stupid stuff, watch a REAL good baseball game afterwards, and listen to Sundy Best and drink EKY moonshine afterwards. Cause that's what this area is about, not arguing. Damn nation boys.
Independent like Pikeville my bad. Lchsalumnus population and number of schools do matter. Baseball and basketball should never be classed. I have nothing against LC ONLY MORONS LIKE YOU WHO SHED A BAD LIGHT ON THEIR SCHOOLS.

I will be at Belfry tonite cheering for both teams. Great respect for each program.
Commanche Wrote:Independent like Pikeville my bad. Lchsalumnus population and number of schools do matter. Baseball and basketball should never be classed. I have nothing against LC ONLY MORONS LIKE YOU WHO SHED A BAD LIGHT ON THEIR SCHOOLS.

I will be at Belfry tonite cheering for both teams. Great respect for each program.

morons like me? coming from someone like yourself, i'll take it very lightly.

why shouldn't baseball be classed? you are harping about population, yet you don't see that the population of a school will hurt baseball more than basketball? five starters needed in basketball, of which only 3-4 need to be very good. in baseball, 9 starters needed, plus some pitching depth/subs. a school with 500 students competing against a school with 2000 students. yeah, that seems fair.
Commanche Wrote:Independent like Pikeville my bad. Lchsalumnus population and number of schools do matter. Baseball and basketball should never be classed. I have nothing against LC ONLY MORONS LIKE YOU WHO SHED A BAD LIGHT ON THEIR SCHOOLS.

It should be one hell of a battle.
lchsalumnus Wrote:morons like me? coming from someone like yourself, i'll take it very lightly.

why shouldn't baseball be classed? you are harping about population, yet you don't see that the population of a school will hurt baseball more than basketball? five starters needed in basketball, of which only 3-4 need to be very good. in baseball, 9 starters needed, plus some pitching depth/subs. a school with 500 students competing against a school with 2000 students. yeah, that seems fair.

Pikeville High School was the smallest school their and quite frankly should have won the 2010 Title. I think for Pikeville to win a Class State title would diminish the title somewhat. I really dont see the need. Football I fully understand, it is a numbers game. Not fair to play 30 against 90, the depth is too much to overcome.

Quit whining and suck it up and get back on topic. Nothing will satisfy you anyway. I say make LC the 17th regions sole representative.
the class of 2011 that graduated from lc in there 4 years they lost a total of 6 15 region games and 1 tie the 2012 and 2013 lost 15 games in the 15 region