Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highland's 3 - Newport Central Cath 0
Highlands shortstop Jake Whitford started the season batting third, a plum spot for a sophomore.

Failure to get on base prompted coach Jeremy Baioni to move him to the bottom of the batting order, where Whitford dug himself out of a slump and forced his way back to the top by being more aggressive at the plate.

Whitford rediscovered his hitting stroke with such authority that Baioni moved him to second in the order. From the No. 2 spot on Thursday in the 36th District tournament final at Morscher Park, Whitford changed the game while following advice that turned around his season.

The second-year player took an opening fastball and belted a solo home run just over the right-field fence, giving Highlands a 1-0 lead during a two-run fourth inning that led to a 3-0 shutout of defending regional champion Newport Central Catholic.

It was Whitford's first varsity home run and Highlands' second back-to-back district tournament title since winning four straight in 2001-04. His blast came after NewCath starter Connor Bartels retired in order the first 10 batters.

The Bluebirds, ranked sixth in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches' poll, ran their record to 19-17. A 4-3 winner in 13 innings over NewCath April 25, Highlands enters next week's Ninth Region tournament as a No. 1 seed. NewCath, ranked second by coaches, fell to 20-13. The Thoroughbreds will be a No. 2 seed at the regional.

"That home run was awesome," said the left-handed hitting Whitford. "I did what I was supposed to do and went after a first-pitch strike."

Baioni wasn't sure if it would carry far enough.

"The wind was blowing in and a little to the right. I didn't even know if it was going to stay fair," the coach said. "We've been telling him to be more aggressive early in the count and drive the ball, and that's what he did."

When Whitford was dropped in the batting order, he began hitting in earnest off a tee. Thursday's winning pitcher, junior Joey Cochran, saw how hard he was working on his stroke.

"That home run was the momentum we needed to finish the game," said Cochran, who pitched a six-hitter for his second shutout. "I was just trying to keep the ball low and get ground balls and hope for runs."

Cochran earned the win in last year's district final, in relief of Mitchell Jones, who earned his first save Thursday with three strikeouts in the seventh. The final out came with the tying run at the plate.

Highlands scored its second run in the fourth on a Quentin Murray grounder to short that was played for an error. Whitford double to right in the sixth and scored the final run on Todd Ramey's single.

Whitford and Ramey both went 2-for-3 while collecting all of Highlands' hits.

Newport Central Catholic 000 000 0 -- 0 6 1
Highlands 000 201 x -- 3 4 0

WP: Cochran (5-2). LP: Bartels (5-3). Leaders: H-Whitford 2-3, HR; Ramey 2-3.

Records: N 20-13, H 19-17.
Congrats Jeremy! Win the 9th this season!
This year's 9th region tourney is going to be a battle. So many good teams(Ryle, NC, Beechwood, CovCath, Conner, Highland's) that can all beat one another. Although NKY hasn't produced a state champ in a while, I believe this area is one of the most competitive in the state. Don't forget last year both Brossart (10th region) and NC made it to the semi and quarter finals, both being small schools from the same county. You could very well have the same scenario this year with different teams. Any of these teams from the 9th and possibly Scott from the 10th can make a deep run.
They play baseball at Highlands Confusednicker:

Congrats to the Birds on the win!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi