Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Ruling 59th Again??
It seems just like about a year or two ago that Pikeville High School appeared to be slipping in most of their sports. Well, it appears it is time to think again. They seemed to have regained their stranglehold on the 59th district again. Here are the results from all 59th district tournaments this year.

Sport- 59th District Champion
Volleyball- Pikeville
Girls Basketball- Shelby Valley
Boys Basketball- Pikeville
Baseball- Pikeville
Softball- Pikeville

What do you think? Is it a one-year wonder, or is it here we go again? Will Pikeville start to dominate this district again like they did a few years ago?
Congrats Pikeville !
Have they represented well as the 59th Champ in Region? I do know that they lost in the first round in boys basketball. What have they showed in other sports?
^They led the team that won it all most of the game, and lost inside the last minute...
Not exactly what you would call a poor performance from an extremely young team...
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Have they represented well as the 59th Champ in Region? I do know that they lost in the first round in boys basketball. What have they showed in other sports?
A three point loss to the eventual champion is representing pretty good
[QUOTE=bball fan]It seems just like about a year or two ago that Pikeville High School appeared to be slipping in most of their sports. Well, it appears it is time to think again. They seemed to have regained their stranglehold on the 59th district again. Here are the results from all 59th district tournaments this year.

Sport- 59th District Champion
Volleyball- Pikeville
Girls Basketball- Shelby Valley
Boys Basketball- Pikeville
Baseball- Pikeville
Softball- Pikeville

Well first of all Pikeville anent the best in the 59th District in Boys Basketball, just because they got lucky and went to regional's, dont make them the best in the district, But by far is SHELBY VALLEY
Shelby Valley use to be by far but the gap is closing fast.
Pikeville may not be the best in the 59th in basketball, but they do have the district trophy instead of SV... Plan on SV losing some more trophies in the years to come too.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Pikeville may not be the best in the 59th in basketball, but they do have the district trophy instead of SV... Plan on SV losing some more trophies in the years to come too.

I'm sure they have more trophies then pikeville and a better record
NYY10 Wrote:I'm sure they have more trophies then pikeville and a better record
I am not so sure about the more trophies than Pikeville. After all, SV is a kinda new school.... Was it luck that SV only scored 39 points in the district championship game? Or was it that SV isnt used to having the defence played against them like Pikeville played?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Just a one year wonder, I wouldnt be to concered with it Wink
This is what I think. Every so often a team will dominate the district or region, then they are a so-so team for a while, then they do great again. No team can be head and sholders above the rest year after year and always have the team to beat. Valley has ruled the 59th for a while now, maybe, just maybe it is someone elses turn to take over for a few years.

I have to ask this though. If Pikeville was lucky to win the boys basketball district, was Johnson Central lucky to win the 15th over Valley?
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I am not so sure about the more trophies than Pikeville. After all, SV is a kinda new school.... Was it luck that SV only scored 39 points in the district championship game? Or was it that SV isnt used to having the defence played against them like Pikeville played?

well they beat pikeville both times in the regular season and then messed up during district lol
Pikeville got better Shelby Valley didn't. Difference in coaches, Williams helps his players get better Booher makes his players average, sometimes talent alone can't win and that was showed at Valley this year.
NYY10 Wrote:well they beat pikeville both times in the regular season and then messed up during district lol

At the end of the season, both Pikeville and SV got beat by Johnson Central by 3 points. How does that make them that much better?
basketballjones Wrote:Pikeville got better Shelby Valley didn't. Difference in coaches, Williams helps his players get better Booher makes his players average, sometimes talent alone can't win and that was showed at Valley this year.

Well they beat them twice
Not when it counted.
Do I see Pikeville moving towards a dominance in all sports? Not entirely, but I do believe teams of sports they have struggled in the past, like basketball, are continually improving and narrowing the gap between them and the best team in district, like Valley in respects to basketball. Williams is great with the kids, a calm, cool collected man. He teaches the kids, rather than critizing them, thus improving them overall. In regards to other sports, Pikeville has generally dominated district in baseball and in softball are generally competing. In volleyball, district was unexpected but they are improving under Shull. That being said I dont know if Pikeville ever really stopped ruling the 59th. Yes in some sports they arent always first but in a few they generally are always at the top. I just believe the discrepancy between first and worst in the 59th has been minimized. I guess its not really a question of dominance, but a matter of consistency.
One year of winning in basketball and now they're dominant in all sports? More often than not Pikeville won't win either basketball District title, and softball is dead even as far as most would say even though SV has won back to back Regions now. The only sport that Pikeville is dominant in the 59th is baseball simple as that. The rest are pretty even. And I don't know what you mean by saying a "few years ago" because Shelby Valley has owned them in girls and boys basketball for the last few years and softball has been even. They didn't win district in baseball in 2000 and didn't even go to the Regional tournament in 2001. If you ask me this is just a one year thing. Any team in the 59th could do this in any given year.
alfus21 Wrote:One year of winning in basketball and now they're dominant in all sports? More often than not Pikeville won't win either basketball District title, and softball is dead even as far as most would say even though SV has won back to back Regions now. The only sport that Pikeville is dominant in the 59th is baseball simple as that. The rest are pretty even. And I don't know what you mean by saying a "few years ago" because Shelby Valley has owned them in girls and boys basketball for the last few years and softball has been even. They didn't win district in baseball in 2000 and didn't even go to the Regional tournament in 2001. If you ask me this is just a one year thing. Any team in the 59th could do this in any given year.

Hey thats true
And as you can see pikeville basseball is dying down or there not doing to well this year,just because pikeville got to regions dosn't make them the best team in the region,Shelby Valley girls always beats them to, In Football, Valley could beat Pikeville. Soccer,its about even there,Girls Softball, you all might have the little upper hand there,but just because of them dosn't mean Pikeville is ruling the 59th District, maybe you need to get out some and watch
NYY10 Wrote:And as you can see pikeville basseball is dying down or there not doing to well this year,just because pikeville got to regions dosn't make them the best team in the region,Shelby Valley girls always beats them to, In Football, Valley could beat Pikeville. Soccer,its about even there,Girls Softball, you all might have the little upper hand there,but just because of them dosn't mean Pikeville is ruling the 59th District, maybe you need to get out some and watch

Baseball
Pikeville 33-8 overall, 15-0 in the region
Valley 12-12 overall, 10-11 in the region

Football
Pikeville 8-4
Valley 4-7

I know they are in different classes, but look at common opponents,
Prestonsburg over Valley 48-27
Pikeville over Prestonsburg 33-7

Valley over SF 38-8
Pikeville over SF 30-0, Pikeville's starters only played the first half.
Valley beating Pikeville in football.... not gonna happen

Softball

Pikeville beat Valley 4 times this year, Valley got lucky in the regions like it was said about Pikeville and Valley in basketball.

Boys Basketball

Valley 18-13 overall, 13-10 in the region
Pikeville 12-16 overall 9-10 in the region

Valley did have a better record last season but the gap is closing. All other sports, goes to Pikeville.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Baseball
Pikeville 33-8 overall, 15-0 in the region
Valley 12-12 overall, 10-11 in the region

Football
Pikeville 8-4
Valley 4-7

I know they are in different classes, but look at common opponents,
Prestonsburg over Valley 48-27
Pikeville over Prestonsburg 33-7

Valley over SF 38-8
Pikeville over SF 30-0, Pikeville's starters only played the first half.
Valley beating Pikeville in football.... not gonna happen

Softball

Pikeville beat Valley 4 times this year, Valley got lucky in the regions like it was said about Pikeville and Valley in basketball.

Boys Basketball

Valley 18-13 overall, 13-10 in the region
Pikeville 12-16 overall 9-10 in the region

Valley did have a better record last season but the gap is closing. All other sports, goes to Pikeville.

Baseball is a pretty big gap, but SV beat Pikeville 3 times in two seasons a few years back. But Pikeville is the king of the 59th in that sport. Football shouldn't be a discussion because they don't have to play each other and they're not in the same district. Pikeville would win big by the way.

Softball is dead even, and anybody that says SV got lucky by beating Pikeville in the Regional Championship is clueless because they had some great games in the regular season and were both dominant in the region.

And for you to have th enerve to say the gap in basketball is closing becuase of one season is laughable because it's just that, one season. Pikeville hadn't beat Shelby Valley in basketball in over 5 years until last season, so if 1 win in 6 years or so is closing the gap then I guess you can dream, but it's hilarious to say the gap is closing when you beat a team one time in 6 years or so...

Girls basketball goes to Shelby Valley easily because they have dominated the 59th for a while now, and it doesn't look like that's changing.

It's more even than you make it sound. Pikeville has the advantage in 59th district play in baseball for the large majority and that's it. Football is a non-discussion because it's not the same district.
alfus21 Wrote:Baseball is a pretty big gap, but SV beat Pikeville 3 times in two seasons a few years back. But Pikeville is the king of the 59th in that sport. Football shouldn't be a discussion because they don't have to play each other and they're not in the same district. Pikeville would win big by the way.

Softball is dead even, and anybody that says SV got lucky by beating Pikeville in the Regional Championship is clueless because they had some great games in the regular season and were both dominant in the region.

And for you to have th enerve to say the gap in basketball is closing becuase of one season is laughable because it's just that, one season. Pikeville hadn't beat Shelby Valley in basketball in over 5 years until last season, so if 1 win in 6 years or so is closing the gap then I guess you can dream, but it's hilarious to say the gap is closing when you beat a team one time in 6 years or so...

Girls basketball goes to Shelby Valley easily because they have dominated the 59th for a while now, and it doesn't look like that's changing.

It's more even than you make it sound. Pikeville has the advantage in 59th district play in baseball for the large majority and that's it. Football is a non-discussion because it's not the same district.

So the same goes when it was said Pikeville was "lucky" to win the boys basketball district because Valley beat them twice in the regular season? That is why I made that point. If Pikeville was lucky for winning one game out of three played in basketball, then Valley was "lucky" for winning one game out of five in softball. As far as basketball goes, yes, Pikeville beat Valley for the district championship, the first time Pikeville beat them in 6 years to the day. But the over all records are closeing faster than I think alot of people thought they would. Next season, I see the records being closer next year than they was this year.
East Ridge beat Pikeville yetserday in Summer Camp Basketball pretty good.
Its not a matter of dominance, like I said, its a matter of consistency. In soccer, Pikeville is much better than all the other local teams. They may have lost a few to surrounding teams but overall they have better teams. Football...Valley even if in the same district or A as Pikeville they would be mangled. Softball is fairly even, Pikeville was better this year but choked in the region finals. Basketball, Valley is still in command but that one win does signify a change because before they couldnt beat them but now they can. They still arent as good as Valley but they are improving and Booher doesnt seem to be doing much for Valley's program. And baseball, Pikeville is king, though they didnt have as great a season this year compared to years past.
Yea I dont know bout this thread this is very false i mean how many times had pikeville won district in basket ball in like the past 10 years........they just had a good game this past season but i think Valley will take it this coming season!
Mr.Baseball2 Wrote:Yea I dont know bout this thread this is very false i mean how many times had pikeville won district in basket ball in like the past 10 years........they just had a good game this past season but i think Valley will take it this coming season!

Im sure they will, they only lost 2 seniors
NYY10 Wrote:Im sure they will, they only lost 2 seniors

They lost their whole inside game. All they have now is guards. They will be hurting on the boards and in the paint.
Ok, let me ask this, besides this last season, when was the last time Valley didnt win either the 15th all A, the 59th district or the 15th region tourney? I am not saying Pikeville is going to dominate Valley. But I also dont see Valley dominating the district or region like they have the last 4 or 5 years. Any team is beatable. Now, more than ever.