Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Football
This years NFL draft should tell you everything about Stoops recruiting and player development. The best I remember this years senior class was suppose to Stoops best class yet.
I've been a big Stoops supporter and I remember last year when he pretty much assured we'd have several guys drafted this season, well....Nope. With all these upperclassmen transferring and the rumors about Stoops partying, i'm a bit concerned for the long-term success of this program. Coach Brooks staff had much lower ranked prospects to work with but still has several of those guys in the NFL due to player development which just seems to be lacking with this coaching staff.
How can you expect to have discipline within the program when players know the Head Honcho is out carousing around?
Axel Foley Wrote:How can you expect to have discipline within the program when players know the Head Honcho is out carousing around?

This. Stoops needs to put the bottle down or keep it at his house, he has higher expectations he needs to be fulfilling. Can't be a leader if you're out-drinking the college kids you're supposed to be coaching.
If any of this parting stuff is true, it’s time Barnhead grow a pair and send him backing before what we have built comes crashing down. If someone has to start over from scratch it will the same stuff all over again.
IMO if Stoop's doesn't win atleast 9 games this season he should be fired. He has the best RB in the SEC and a veteran O-line returning along with 9 starters on D back.
Got to have quarterback play to win in SEC. That has been sorely lacking during Stoops tenure.
E's Army Wrote:Got to have quarterback play to win in SEC. That has been sorely lacking during Stoops tenure.

Has it been lacking or is it simply that he and his staff have failed in making these high level recruits successful at the collegiate level? Case in point Matt Elam and Drew Barker.
Not a huge Stoops fan. QB has been a disappointment over his tenure. Maybe Wilson or Gunner can step up and deliver. Hate to keep watching them give games away.:zzz::zzz::zzz:
insideinfo Wrote:If any of this parting stuff is true, it’s time Barnhead grow a pair and send him backing before what we have built comes crashing down. If someone has to start over from scratch it will the same stuff all over again.

Maybe they should send Barnhead backing. whatever that means Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:Maybe they should send Barnhead backing. whatever that means Confusednicker:

All those years riding the short bus, and all they taught you was to be the grammar police on the internet.
insideinfo Wrote:All those years riding the short bus, and all they taught you was to be the grammar police on the internet.

Confusedtare:
mantax Wrote:Has it been lacking or is it simply that he and his staff have failed in making these high level recruits successful at the collegiate level? Case in point Matt Elam and Drew Barker.

Both were overrated and lacked the commitment and sacrifice it took to play at that level...I did think Elam gave them some good minutes his Sr season and if Barker doesn’t get hurt maybe he gets his chance to shine, but I heard to many off season stories on both to see why things never progressed for both...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:Both were overrated and lacked the commitment and sacrifice it took to play at that level...I did think Elam gave them some good minutes his Sr season and if Barker doesn’t get hurt maybe he gets his chance to shine, but I heard to many off season stories on both to see why things never progressed for both...

I have a friend in Alabama who subscribes to a Bama football recruiting website and he has always claimed that Bama recruited Elam to be a offensive linemen. Looking back at his UK career Elam simply played to high to be a effective NT. Judging by his size an strength, I think Elam might have made a much better interior offensive linemen. As far as Barker goes, I was at a High School game and the then Pikeville head football coach made the statement that "Baker has no chance to be a SEC level QB". The guy knew what he was talking about!
JustThinking Wrote:Not a huge Stoops fan. QB has been a disappointment over his tenure. Maybe Wilson or Gunner can step up and deliver. Hate to keep watching them give games away.:zzz::zzz::zzz:

Stoops gave 2 games away last year. I still don't understand the Timeout he took late in the Ole Miss game. Stoops going for 2 points in the Bowl game is another move that made very little sense to me. I will probably get ran off this website for saying that, it seems most fans are all for moves like that. To me the logical move for a coach coaching a young team was to play for OT. Stoops had the better kicker and running back on his team IMO. Plus all those OT snaps would have just been more live snaps for a young team to put under their belt. Playing a OT period on national TV win or lose is good experience for young players. I feel Stoops missed valuable teaching opportunity by going for 2 points. As a life long UK football fan it's hard to have much faith in Marks Stoops as strategic coach but I do think he has improved UK football in many areas.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I have a friend in Alabama who subscribes to a Bama football recruiting website and he has always claimed that Bama recruited Elam to be a offensive linemen. Looking back at his UK career Elam simply played to high to be a effective NT. Judging by his size an strength, I think Elam might have made a much better interior offensive linemen. As far as Barker goes, I was at a High School game and the then Pikeville head football coach made the statement that "Baker has no chance to be a SEC level QB". The guy knew what he was talking about!

I said the same thing about Barker.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Stoops gave 2 games away last year. I still don't understand the Timeout he took late in the Ole Miss game. Stoops going for 2 points in the Bowl game is another move that made very little sense to me. I will probably get ran off this website for saying that, it seems most fans are all for moves like that. To me the logical move for a coach coaching a young team was to play for OT. Stoops had the better kicker and running back on his team IMO. Plus all those OT snaps would have just been more live snaps for a young team to put under their belt. Playing a OT period on national TV win or lose is good experience for young players. I feel Stoops missed valuable teaching opportunity by going for 2 points. As a life long UK football fan it's hard to have much faith in Marks Stoops as strategic coach but I do think he has improved UK football in many areas.

I agree about going for 2.
UK’s defense has to get better this year, the pieces should be there to have some success...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:UK’s defense has to get better this year, the pieces should be there to have some success...

As Stoops always says, "Absolutely!"
insideinfo Wrote:This years NFL draft should tell you everything about Stoops recruiting and player development. The best I remember this years senior class was suppose to Stoops best class yet.

Most of the players who would have been drafted returned another year. Edwards , Allen both was on draft boards.
Hopefully we fire stoops tomorrow and after matty bangs runs for governor he can coach
The team will be better this year, but with the schedule we may only win 5 games.
On a side note, points to mt view on your sheldon Clark schedule for flipping the wv logo and making it there own
This is a "make or break" year for Coach Stoops. This being the sixth year of his tenure, there are no more excuses. This is his team and his program. He has the facilities and the backing from the university, so it's time to "put up, or shut up". I feel like an underachieving year, will bring about the beginning of the end for Stoops at UK. It's not just about the wins and loses, it about recruiting. With a down year, recruits will no longer be sold on Stoops and the program. Personally, we are already seeing a decline in recruiting starting with this years class. So a 4-8, or 5-7 year would be detrimental to our recruitment next year and beyond. Also, we all know if you can't recruit in the SEC, you can't win. Stoops has had the pleasure over the past two or three seasons, of playing in a weak Eastern division, but that's about to change. Georgia is a national title contender, Florida is trending back upward, Tennessee will get it's act back together, South Carolina is a top 25 team and Missouri is getting better. With the exception of Vanderbilt, the SEC East will be a much tougher division this upcoming season and in the future.

With that being said, this also could be a big year for Stoops and the program. If Stoops can manage a seven or eight win season, and land in a legitimate bowl game, or win a bowl game, then UK and Stoops will gain a tremendous amount of momentum on the recruiting trail. Plus, think about the positives in putting four or five guys in next years draft, after coming off of a solid season. That would be huge!! Especially, with Conrad and Allen projected to be early round draft picks. How big would it be if Snell could find his way into the Heisman race, in which some analyst are predicting. With the possibility of all of this taking place, UK would become more of a player in Ohio, especially with all of the uncertainty surrounding Urban Meyer and the Ohio State program. Also, UK would have a better chance of keeping the top in state talent at home. Most importantly, a strong year would energize a fan base that is so desperate for a winning football program. At the end of the day, one way or another, Stoops will be taking one step forward, or a couple of steps back. Hopefully, he will be taking a step forward. Go CATS!!!
Its a good start.
Rolling.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Hopefully we fire stoops tomorrow and after matty bangs runs for governor he can coach

:lmao: