Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR---Johnny Martin Fired as Allen Central Head Coach??
"J. R. VanHoose" Wrote:I think he is a great coach. Look at the other teams in the region that he has had to compete with for a title in those 26 years. If he has been there since 1980, he has gone up against these 15th Region teams that have won a couple of straight titles:

1981-82 Virgie (2 Region Titles - 1 Mr. Basketball)
1985-87 Paintsville (3 Region Titles - 1 Mr. Basketball)
1990-92 Belfry (3 Region Titles)
1995-98 Paintsville (4 Region Titles - 1 Mr. Basketball)
2002-03 Shelby Valley (2 Region Titles)

So out of those 26 years these teams have won the Region 14 years. So he has only been to the state tournament 1 in 12 years. That is not bad, considering the teams that he has played in this region. I think Coach Martin has done very well at Allen Central and I wish him the best of luck whatever happens!!!!!

I agree J.R. And in fact, I believe had Jeremy Hall not been hurt in the state tourney, AC could have very well won state that year.
"Old Grand Dad" Wrote:Ronnie Patton is one of the finest people I've ever met in my life! And evidently the Floyd County Board of Education, ACMS, and Duff Elem. think so too because there is a plague hanging on the wall of their gym when you first enter that says "Ronnie Patton Area". I can’t see the Floyd County Board of Education allowing a gym to be dedicated in honor of a person whose character is (or ever has been) in question.
I agree Patton is a good man. To say that that Patton and Martin have nothing to do with each other is just wrong. Same school, same princpal same result
I played for Coach Martin several years ago. The best thing I like about Coach is that he gives everybody a chance to prove that they deserve to be on the court during the game. He changes his line up (several times ) during the season to find the right chemistry, that he wants to play with come tourn. time. Some think if they start 1 game they should start every game, but thats not how he does it.

I have alot of respect for the Man and think if the Adm. at ACHS wants rid of him then they should give him 1 more year HIRE his replacement this year as an ass. coach and give him a big send off that he deserves. Good Luck Coach and if you do leave please remember all the good that was at ACHS and not just last year.
As an AC alumnus, I must say that firing Johnny Martin would be a mistake. Johnny Martin has devoted his life to that school's basketball program and those boys that he has coached over the years up to the present. Anyone who has winning seasons 24 of 26 years must be doing something right. I know that the last 2 years have been bad, well down right horrendous, but that doesn't justify firing a winning coach. As a matter of fact the reasons given to fire Johnny are absolutely absurd..

???What, he doesn't win enough games??:lame: Well to be a winning coach for 24 years, I think that winning games is pretty much necessary..

???He can't get any calls on the court?? He is one of the most respected coaches around the region and state, and yes when he works the refs, he does get the calls. Just the other night at the district tournament game against Betsy Layne, Johnny argued an official about a goal tending call and the official changed the call.

???Better talent in hallways than playing on the team?? Of course there probably is, but this is true at any school. Most of these boys walking the hallways don't want to play ball on an organized team where they would have to play team basketball, they are only worried about "I" not team. Furthermore, basketball takes time. Practice, games, it's not just showing up and playing then going home; you have to have dedication and those boys that stick it out and play for Johnny have dedication and heart. It would also be easier for the boys to try out for the team if a certain administrator from ACHS would quit telling the incoming frosh from the grade schools and their families that playing for Johnny would be a mistake because he runs you to death and you probably won't get to play. Such bull.. Johnny gives you the chance to prove yourself, that is if you want to play. And of course you have to run, that's part of basketball.

These reasons are so bogus. Furthermore, any coach who has dedicated his life to a program should have the chance to go out with some dignity and respect instead of being dismissed from his position. The administration and a few select parents of the school want rid of Johnny.. But why?? Do they feel threatened? or is it just because certain people have to have their way all the time?? To the administration of ACHS, and you know who you are, come out, make a statement instead of being cowards and letting the rumors fly.. Have some backbone, instead of being spineless snakes in the grass..

Johnny Martin :theman: :dance:
Any updates on this?
Last I heard was that Coach was still being evaluated. I hope this situation gets worked out soon and Johnny can get about his business whether it is at Allen Central or some place else. He would not have a problem getting a coaching job at a school looking to improve their basketball program. That could include other states as well.
i think that he is going to coach sheldon clark next season?
He is a great coach
if things dont work out at ac he may go back to sc
Is he going to Sheldon Clark if it opens up? Interesting scenario if this happens.
Word is now that he is being reinstated, A buddy of mine in Pikeville mentioned it the other day so I figured I post it.:thumpsup:
Nike Man Wrote:Is he going to Sheldon Clark if it opens up? Interesting scenario if this happens.

That is were he started his coaching career
Moe Wrote:Word is now that he is being reinstated, A buddy of mine in Pikeville mentioned it the other day so I figured I post it.:thumpsup:

Yes, coach Martin has been reinstated.
I no at the state tournament they was wanting to elect him the president of the coaches and heard from another coach in the 15th(can't say who) That Johnny is staying this year then retiring next so hope johnny can have an sucessful last year.GO JOHNNY GO!
that sounds good he is a good coach
If Coach Martin is indeed, "Staying" @ AC, I wish him success, however, I wish he'd tell "that bunch" of copperheads where to "head in"

{since they're hurt him and humiliated him all over the region with this typical behavior, while making themselves look like exactly what many(on here) have said they are}

and then go to SCHS and help them for goodness sakes... no disrespect, but they need it.

Honestly, Coach Martin has earned the right to go out as "HE" chooses, so Coach, if you choose to stay for (1) year or (101) years, you know what you're dealing with and I'll trust your judgement! Good Luck!
So what is the deal with him? What is he going to do?
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:So what is the deal with him? What is he going to do?

He will be back with the rebels next year.
I would hope that we will continue to see coach martin walk the sidelines until HE wishes to leave. This is what is most wrong with high school sports today PARENTS and Politics.
He is a great coach AC would be crazy if they let him go
Agree!
I'm Glad to hear that he will be back, He is a Competetor. Thats why I believe he gets a bad rep, but thats also why he has been so successful for so many years, and I respect all the players who played all four years for him, He is probabily one of the most demanding and hardest coaches in the state to play for, but off the court he seems to care for his kids(players) and is a good guy and I belive he is good for AC basketball(most of the time). He's developed some good players there and has had some talented teams.:thumpsup: