Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better coaches in 13th region
Who are the better coaches in the 13th region?
Well, lets hear what you think.
In my personal opinion two of the best coaches are Coach Parsons from Corbin (little biased) and coach Nolan from Harlan Co. I was also really impressed with Coach Mahan from North Laurel but he didn't have much talent so the jury is still out.

I know that people may go crazy over not having Coach Burchell from clay and while I do think he is a good coach I have only seen him coach with talent. I would like to see what he can do with an average team. Either way they have been dominate the last few years so you can't knock that!
I think Derrick Akal from Harlan Ind. is a good coach. He seems to be very fair and know a lot about the game. Coach Parsons from Corbin is also a good coach.
We will really see what kind of coach, Coach Akal is now that his talent pool is very low. I think he is a class guy, but when you have a potential region of the year player like he did last year, it is easier to win. The true measure of a coach is how they do when they have little to no talent.
Hitters_Count Wrote:We will really see what kind of coach, Coach Akal is now that his talent pool is very low. I think he is a class guy, but when you have a potential region of the year player like he did last year, it is easier to win. The true measure of a coach is how they do when they have little to no talent.

OUCH!!! I'm not sure that there is a coach any where that can be successful with little to no talent. A tall order for any coach.
I agree that Akal will have a bit of a challenge because of the loss of Mullins and given the fact that his team is very young (I think he has only one senior and one junior), but I have to disagree about them have no talent. If I remember correctly, Cox, Ledford, and Mitchell are pretty talented guards, and they have talent coming up. Good luck to Coach Akal because I'm always for the underdog.
Harlan will still have a nice group of players. I am not sure if they got to the region or not with Mullins.
I thought coach Nolan's best coaching performance was last year....he probably took the least talented team that he has had to the regional final and had a chance to win it....coach Nolan is a heck of a coach.
^ LEAST TALENTED TEAM?! Are you serious? I would highly disagree calling that team the least talented....maybe the MOST talented! I would say that Miranda Davinport and Brooklyn Massingail together would be the MOST talent he has EVER had, along with Kalee Carroll who was pretty tough at post along with a lot of reserve players with quite a bit of talent. You didn't go to many games did you?
IMO Burchell is in a league by himself. Nolan,Snyder,Parsons, and Teague are trying to join him. Akal if he can do it without Mullins, Hillard if she can win her first all A region,Mahan if he can continue what he started in the region,and Shafer at Pineville are looking to take the next step up.
I would say Anderson from Whitley but he's never made it out of region in 20+ years.
A lot of wins, but thats not enough.
He's got one more chance to do it.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I would say Anderson from Whitley but he's never made it out of region in 20+ years.
A lot of wins, but thats not enough.
He's got one more chance to do it.

Not only has he not been out of the Region, but he took over a team that had just WON the state championship. He has all kinds of talent every year and cannot get over the hump.
[quote=Dr. X]Not only has he not been out of the Region, but he took over a team that had just WON the state championship. He has all kinds of talent every year and cannot get over the hump.[/QUOTE
Between him and Knox Centrals coach they've wasted more talent than most schools ever see.
Dr. X Wrote:Not only has he not been out of the Region, but he took over a team that had just WON the state championship. He has all kinds of talent every year and cannot get over the hump.

Agreed.
When your bro is the Superintendent, i guess you dont have to worry about your job all that much.
There were 3 or 4 years we should have won a region, but failed short everytime.
We should have easily made it to the region championship last year. The only team in the region that even played with Whitley was Clay.

If he doesnt do it this year, its all on him, and i tihnk he knows that.
There have been some great players go through those halls, but never had any help.
Ever wonder why he never went after the boys job?
I really like the Coach from Middlesboro. I believe he is second behind the Coach from Clay Co.
Dr. X Wrote:Ever wonder why he never went after the boys job?

I have heard several different opinions but theres always been a constant.
I do know why, but dont want to get into it on here.

The fact that we've had around 12 different coaches over the last 20 years has a little to do with it...
i think that coach Hillard at barbourville would have a good group this year but she worries about how many technicals she can get instead of coaching her team. the Bunch sisters are pretty good and there are a few others that play well together. every time i saw her coach she got a technical and i know when she went out of the 13th region she got several too. she needs to chill out and stop pissing off the refs and just coach her team that will help her more in the long run
Quote:the Bunch sisters are pretty good
Apparently you know nothing about the Barbourville Lady Tigers. Most middle school players are better than them. You may, however, be referring to the Erslan twins. They are both better than average players.
Randy Napier is 10 times better than any coach in the Weakass 13th.
Johnny_Ringo Wrote:Randy Napier is 10 times better than any coach in the Weakass 13th.

I'll give him one thing he's a better recruiter.
He is about as good as Pat Summitt was at recruiting.