Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports Xpress Recruiting Xclusive: Matt Day
Brandon Quillen: “So Matt you’ve enjoyed a great senior year at Buckhorn averaging 23 ppg and an astounding 14 rpg, and leading your team to an impressive 26-6 record, so what are your thoughts when you reflect back on what you and your team accomplished?”

Matt Day: “The past four years have been amazing and I wouldn't have wanted to spend them anywhere else. My teammates are my brothers we have played together since second grade and that’s what makes us a special group. The honors and awards I’ve got wouldn't have been possible without them and I just thank God for blessing me with this talent.”

BQ: “I still can’t get over that WYMT Classic game where you set a tournament record with a whopping 47 points! I mean you had to be in a groove out there, what was that like?”

MD: “It felt like the rim kept getting bigger and bigger. I had no idea how many points I had until the end. When I get into a groove like that, it feels like no one can stop me. I just wish the outcome of the game would have been different.”

BQ: “You guys only lost one heart breaker at home this year, so describe that atmosphere at Buckhorn for those who haven’t watched a game there?”

MD: “It’s the best gym I’ve ever played in. We have the best fans in the nation. When we were playing everyone in Buckhorn was there. When we went to state for All-A, signs were hanging in the stores saying things like “went to state be back soon” or “last one out, turn the lights out in Buckhorn.” I still get chills talking about how crazy it was.”

BQ: “As expected with a player of your skill level you’re going to get college offers, so go ahead and tell us who’s already offered?”

MD: “UVA-Wise, Mid-Continent, Berea and Pikeville.”

BQ: “Are there any other teams out there showing interest?”

MD: “EKU, WKU, NKU, Furman and Texas-Pan American.”

BQ: “Which school is recruiting you the hardest?”

MD: “It’s a tie between NKU and Texas-Pan Am.”

BQ: “So if you had to name a top 3 who would be the lucky schools in that list?”

MD: “EKU, WKU, and UVA-Wise.”

BQ: “Matt you haven’t made your decision yet, so let us know what exactly are you looking for in a school?”

MD: “I’ve been the “big fish in the little pond” for 4 years and I kind of want that but a big school and a chance to play in the big dance would be nice.”

BQ: “Who are some of the players out there in high school you’d like to play with on the next level?”

MD: “I’ve got close to a lot of players and made some friends, some like Zach Davis, DJ Townsend, Adam Wing and Logan Johnson.”

BQ: “Alright thanks for your time Matt, we can’t wait to see where you end up at in the fall!”

MD: “Thanks, I can’t either.”
[Image: http://x2c.xanga.com/f02f9a4265330281462...267665.jpg]

Matt Day #33 Buckhorn Center 6'8"

Buckhorn 26-6

Avg. 22.9 ppg and 13.9 rpg

Matt is a Finalist for the Kentucky Mr. Basketball.
Who may be looking at Matt?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
People still rock out Xanga? lol
What level is UVa-wise? Big difference between Low D-1 (EKU and WKU) and D-3 or NAIA (Berea and Pikeville). There is also a difference in getting a letter in the mail and being recruited. Mountain players need to get out in the summer and find exposure, instead of playing 50 team camp games if they want to make it to the next level.
Would have thought morehead would be recruiting matt.
Great player and has the size to play d1
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:What level is UVa-wise? Big difference between Low D-1 (EKU and WKU) and D-3 or NAIA (Berea and Pikeville). There is also a difference in getting a letter in the mail and being recruited. Mountain players need to get out in the summer and find exposure, instead of playing 50 team camp games if they want to make it to the next level.

Matt played last Spring and last July with the Charlotte Court AAU program out of Lexington and it really did help. College coaches are always out on the AAU circuit especially at the big tournaments.
Would like to see him at MSU!