Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 59 Ashland 55
Final
Skaggs really had a good game sealing it from the free throw line. I believe he ended 17-17 from the stripe.
ACELAND — With Ashland in pursuit of wrecking Russell’s upset bid, Jacob Porter calmly stayed on the prowl.

“I told them, ‘Any time you get the ball to the middle, look out. I’m going to be sliding around, spotting up,’” Porter said.

The junior found his gap, received the ball, and let loose an arena-rocker. Porter’s clutch 3-pointer gave Russell a 53-50 lead with 1:25 to go as the Red Devils held on to beat Ashland, 59-55, at Raceland-Worthington High School on Friday night.

The final game of the regular season for both teams was played at Raceland due to the recent flooding of Russell’s Marvin Meredith Gymnasium.

Porter had 10 points and junior teammate Kyle Skaggs hit 17 of 17 free throws in recording a game-high 29 in Russell’s first defeat of its archrival in eight meetings.

Skaggs has seen Porter do this kind of thing before — he sank a game-winner from long range as time expired in a win over Lewis County last season.

“I wouldn’t rather have anybody take the last shot other than him,” Skaggs said. “He’s been clutch multiple times.”

The home crowd sprang to its feet as Porter’s shot hit bottom.

“You could feel our whole crowd get into it,” Porter said. After the game, the student section rushed the floor.

Skaggs found Luke Bailey with a nice assist to put Russell up five before Kyle Bush made his second 3-pointer of the fourth quarter, cutting the Ashland deficit to 55-53. Bush tallied 10 points and nine assists.

Tyler Parsley, who posted a game-high nine rebounds, helped seal the victory by splashing in two free throws to put Russell ahead 57-53.

Ashland (19-11) seized momentum early in the fourth quarter when it scored its first transition bucket — normally a big part of its offense — to cap a 10-0 run to begin the period. The Tomcats led 45-41 with 6:30 left.

Russell (17-12) retaliated immediately with a three-point play by Skaggs, and then a Bailey basket from Skaggs. Bailey finished with 10 points despite battling foul trouble.

“If this team has anything, it’s character,” said Russell coach Merle Kidwell. “They went on a run and we could’ve folded.”

The Red Devils have been close to notching a signature win against an elite regional team — they lost to Rowan County twice by a combined nine points, lost twice to Fleming County by 13 altogether, and fell to West Carter by four.

“I didn’t bring that up at halftime because I didn’t want it in their minds,” Kidwell said.

According to Skaggs, a win over Ashland was listed among the main goals of the season, up there with winning the district.

“We’ve had a little trouble closing games, and for us to get hot right now, it’s the perfect time,” Skaggs said. “We’re really confident in where we are in the region.”

A finger-roll lay-in by Skaggs was waved off as the third-quarter buzzer sounded, much to the dismay of the Red Devil faithful. That’s when Ashland took off behind seniors Cody Withrow and Corey Gregg.

The duo accounted for the next 10 unanswered points. Withrow had 19 total points, while Gregg had 22 to go with nine rebounds. However, Gregg was held scoreless over the final 6:45.

Ashland’s shooting, which has been hot at times this season, dipped to frigid levels. The Tomcats missed their first 13 field goal attempts, and they finished 2-for-18 from long range and 7-of-18 from the foul line.

“We won’t win on Tuesday (against Rose Hill in the first round of the 64th District tournament) shooting like that,” said Ashland coach Buddy Biggs. “It’s the domino effect. If you don’t score, you can’t set your press.”

Russell poorly handled Ashland’s press in previous contests, but the Red Devils committed just nine turnovers over the final three quarters on Friday. They played with just six players as well, shorthanded due to injuries to Googie Hayes and Dylan Campbell. Hayes should return next week.

“Our focus was, if we defended, rebounded and handled their pressure, we knew that we had a great shot to win,” Skaggs said. “It was probably the best defense we’ve played. Our points came off defense.”

Kidwell said his team must remain grounded with the postseason looming. The Red Devils meet Lewis County on Monday at Greenup County.

“We want to enjoy this win, but we can’t let this be the high point of our season,” Kidwell said.

http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...-surprises
Nice win for the devils. Not sure it was worthy of rushing the floor? I believe that was the worst shooting game I've ever witnessed by an Ashland team. Ugly.... even uncontested shots didn't fall.
I think we needed a dose of that after knocking off Rowan an west carter think they came in a little over confident , or what ever it was hope this got it out of there system didn't even look like the same team were use to seeing.
Ashland is not a good shooting team anyway. Russell didn't shoot much better but they did out rebound Ashland. Ashland gets most of their points off of turnovers. If you limit those easy baskets most of the time Ashland will struggle.
FBALL Wrote:Ashland is not a good shooting team anyway. Russell didn't shoot much better but they did out rebound Ashland. Ashland gets most of their points off turnover. If you limit those easy baskets most of the time Ashland will struggle.

Well Im pretty sure turnovers have to go in the basket too?? an normally they have 3 or 4 people in double digits. i will give u, that its not always the same shooter someone different usually steps up an lots of times its there bench that puts them over the top.
just had a terrible night getting them to fall. It happens they will be fine.
^They've played a really tough schedule an beat some really good teams in this region an stand right there at the top of it. So Im going out on a limb an say yes they are a very good shooting team.
I was surprised by this one.
BADCAT my friend they are not a good shooting team. They force a lot of turnovers and get a lot of layups off of their defense. If your shooting layups your percentage is going to be higher. Take that away and they will struggle most of the time. That's easier said than done because their defense is outstanding especially with Withrow on the front of that press.

Like I said earlier. Russell didn't shoot much better than Ashland except for Skaggs at the free throw line. That was just clutch.

And before it gets said you are going to get to the free throw line against Ashland. It's a product of how aggressive they are defensively.

Hit free throws and limit turnovers will win a lot of games.
I completely agree about skaggs he was the difference at the foul line that was pretty amazing he's a great shooter. I agree Ashand was a terrible shooting team at the Russell game, An Montgomery co. Game earlier thisSeason but over all they get the job done. Im not saying there going to go win the state tournament. Not that they can't, but they've got a good shot at winning region along with few other teams. However you want to look at it the ball goes in the basket more than the other team we win... An if they get hot there as dangerous as anybody out there. It goes without saying basket ball is very" streaky" hot an cold whatever you want to call it there's not a team out there that doesn't have a hot night or cold night. Obviously cutting down on those bad streaks separates the good teams from the great teams.
If and it's a pretty big if, Ashland is hot from outside, they are hard to handle. That's the choice you have to make though. If its me I make them beat me from the outside every time because they have proven to be inconsistent shooting from long range.
FBALL Wrote:BADCAT my friend they are not a good shooting team. They force a lot of turnovers and get a lot of layups off of their defense. If your shooting layups your percentage is going to be higher. Take that away and they will struggle most of the time. That's easier said than done because their defense is outstanding especially with Withrow on the front of that press.

Like I said earlier. Russell didn't shoot much better than Ashland except for Skaggs at the free throw line. That was just clutch.

And before it gets said you are going to get to the free throw line against Ashland. It's a product of how aggressive they are defensively.

Hit free throws and limit turnovers will win a lot of games.

No doubt that skaggs going a perfect 17 from the stripe was the main factor in Russell winning. Defense is our strong suit for sure, but shooting is streaky you know that an it goes for everybody. Hot an cold just the way it goes the teams that limit the bad streaks separates the good teams from the great teams. When Ashland is hot there as dangerous as anybody out there. except for this Russell game an Montgomery co game earilerthis season they shot pretty well, weather its a layup or outside jumpers they can hold there own not saying there going be state champs but i think they've got a real good shot winning region along with a few others. An there fast paced defensive style play gives them easy baskets i don't see it as a fault seems to me the challenge is on the other teams to try an stay with or slow them down which we kind of did to ourselves against Russell if you can t make a shot its hard to set the press. Hope we meet again in morehead . See ya Fball.
Region finals would be fun.
FBALL Wrote:Region finals would be fun.

Yes it would! anxious to see the brackets.