Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the All "A" a waste of time for decent teams?
First of all, the All "A" is a great concept and IMO saved the regular Sweet 16. I just think it should be reserved for the small, underachieving schools. I could be wrong, but, I believe that's why it was formed initially as an invitational.

Should self-respecting teams that plan on winning their regular regional title participate in the All "A"? Does it sap a team of it's energy? I think people should just let the little teams have their day in the sun.

Teams with enrollment of 300 and 400 kids are not "All A" in my opinion. If I'm NCC or Holy Cross, I would do what Lexcath did in the late 90's, early 2000's, and skip the All A and set my sights on bigger goals. I'd have to ask myself, "did we really have to beat anybody to win our Region?" Some teams may as well have a free pass to the Regional finals every year. Maybe the kids love it. I don't know. Just wanted some opinions. I hardly consider the winner a state champion in the same regard as other sports.
As a former basketball player, any in-season tournament you play in before February is beneficial. Tournament experience is highly under-rated and it gets a team used to the quick, crucial play in a regional or state tournament.

Also, when your in a region where big schools or a couple basketball powers usually dominates like the 11th, 7th, 10th, it's good for some of these good programs to get state-wide recognition, like Brossart who's stuck with Mason County and GRC
Wideleft01 Wrote:If I'm NCC or Holy Cross, I would do what Lexcath did in the late 90's, early 2000's, and skip the All A and set my sights on bigger goals.

Lexington Catholic didn't "skip the All A", they got too big to participate after 1997.
It is a good tourney! I have talked to many coaches and they have mix emotions! Many of them enjoy!!! Whitesburg back in the Day, loved it!! Different strokes for differnt folks!
Wideleft01 Wrote:First of all, the All "A" is a great concept and IMO saved the regular Sweet 16. I just think it should be reserved for the small, underachieving schools. I could be wrong, but, I believe that's why it was formed initially as an invitational.

Should self-respecting teams that plan on winning their regular regional title participate in the All "A"? Does it sap a team of it's energy? I think people should just let the little teams have their day in the sun.

Teams with enrollment of 300 and 400 kids are not "All A" in my opinion. If I'm NCC or Holy Cross, I would do what Lexcath did in the late 90's, early 2000's, and skip the All A and set my sights on bigger goals. I'd have to ask myself, "did we really have to beat anybody to win our Region?" Some teams may as well have a free pass to the Regional finals every year. Maybe the kids love it. I don't know. Just wanted some opinions. I hardly consider the winner a state champion in the same regard as other sports.

First of all the tournament is in no way an All "A" tournament. The last 3 state champions are AA schools. The "All A" formula now to take the bottom one third of all KY schools and call it an All A tournament is ridiculous. The tournament was designed to give the small schools an opportunity to battle it out against their own size instead of having to try to get to Rupp against much larger schools. I would be interested to see how many of the 32 participants are from actual single A schools.
Salimander Wrote:First of all the tournament is in no way an All "A" tournament. The last 3 state champions are AA schools. The "All A" formula now to take the bottom one third of all KY schools and call it an All A tournament is ridiculous.

The All "A" Classic uses the smallest 125 schools that accept the invite to play in it. Each school that accepts the offer gets a 2 year contract. There are schools like Covington Latin that have turned down the invite to play in it. They don't follow the state's classifications for football and/or track and field. The only affiliation they have with the KHSAA is that the schools they invite are all KHSAA members.

Also, I think someone mentioned it earlier, but LexCath wasn't invited back to the All A Classic because their enrollment increased and there were several smaller schools that accepted the offer to play in it.