Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercy 72 - Elizabethtown 61
Final
With help from an assistant coach, Christine Roush found an opening and led Mercy Academy’s basketball team to another victory.

Roush scored nine of her game-high 22 points during a game-ending 11-1 run as the host Jaguars knocked off Elizabethtown 72-61 on Tuesday.

Mercy coach Mark Evans credited assistant Keith Baisch with noticing a gap in E’town’s defense and instructing Roush to attack it.

“They were overplaying a lot, so I needed to take the ball to the hole and try to draw the foul,” said Roush, a 5-foot-10 senior who hit 7 of 8 free throws in the final 2:50. “At the end I was getting fouled and saw that I needed to make my free throws. Usually I’m pretty good at the free-throw line.”

Mercy (11-3) hit 17 of 22 free throws overall (77.3 percent) and backed up its No. 5 state ranking in The Courier-Journal’s preseason poll of coaches. Roush added nine rebounds and three steals, and Whitney Hartlage pitched in 20 points and three steals for the Jaguars.

Kaylyn Cecil was 4 of 4 from 3-point range and scored 16 points to lead No. 11 E’town (10-2). The Lady Panthers finished 8 of 13 from 3-point range.

“The end there was kind of a new experience for us, but by far and away that’s the best game we’ve played this year,” E’town coach Tim Mudd said. “I’m a lot more pleased about this game than I’ve been about some of our wins.”

After trailing by as many as eight points in the first half, E’town took its first lead of the game on Anna Bowling’s 3-pointer that made it 45-44 with 4:21 left in the third quarter.

Mercy took the lead for good, 56-55, on a Hartlage 3-pointer with 1:04 left in the third. Hartlage finished 4 of 9 from 3-point range.

“Her shot has been up and down as of late, but she looks like she’s gotten it back, and that’s important,” Evans said of Hartlage. “She’s knocking them down on rhythm now instead of thinking about it.”

Alexis Powell’s basket pulled E’town within 61-60 with 4:34 left, but Roush answered 18 seconds later for a 63-60 lead and then put the game away at the free-throw line.

Evans said he’s still tinkering with his starting lineup, using his fourth combination of the season Tuesday. He was more than pleased with the outcome.

“It was more like a chess match than a basketball game,” he said. “They’d show us this, and we’d try to counter. We’d show them that, and they’d try to counter. In the end we cut our turnovers … and made free throws when it counted.”

Elizabethtown 13 18 24 6 - 61
Mercy 16 19 24 13 - 72

Elizabethtown (10-2) - Gilpin 6, Cecil 16, Bowling 8, Boley 11, Powell 8, Cleaver 8, Ditto 4.
Mercy (11-3) - Hartlage 20, Co. Roush 10, Ch. Roush 22, Richardson 4, Dircksen 7, Martin 9.

3-point goals - Gilpin 2, Cecil 4, Bowling 2, Hartlage 4, Dircksen.

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...61?Avis=B2