Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boone Co. 67 Highlands 63
Final
12/22/2011Boone Co. 67Highlands 63Highlands17101521 63Boone Co.12251416 67At Boone Co.Highlands (6-3) -- Abner 8, Adler 6, Parton 9, Fisse 12, Watson 4, Shaefer 17, Daley 7.Boone Co. (8-1) -- Jones 3, A. Switzer 8, Murphy 4, Moss 34, Nash 12, E. Switzer 6.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...rylink=cpy
When it comes to hairstyles, change is good for Boone County senior post player Sydney Moss, who is sporting a shorter-cropped look these days, a Mohawk with shaved patterns on the sides. Moss, who came to Boone County wearing long braids bundled in the back, is showing a different look for the third year in a row.

“It's something new,” Moss said. “I'm just trying to see what I like before college, so I like to change it up.”

Her basketball game, on the other hand, is nearly a finished product for a high school player. A University of Florida recruit, Moss bedeviled Highlands while scoring a game-high 34 points Thursday as Boone County held off the frustrated Bluebirds, 67-63, in the final of the Northern Exposure Classic at Boone.

Moss was named the tournament's most outstanding player.

“Sydney could go bald-headed and it wouldn't bother me,” Boone County coach Nell Fookes said. “I like her hair and she had a very nice game.”

Boone County (8-1), ranked No. 1 in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches' poll, won its sixth straight after shifting Moss to point guard early in the contest as an answer to Highlands' box-and-one defense.

The fifth-ranked Bluebirds (6-3), who had their four-game winning streak snapped, led by five after the first quarter despite 10 points by Moss. But the Rebels surged behind their Miss Kentucky Basketball candidate in the second, when Moss scored 15 of Boone's 25 points. Moss hit 11 of 13 free throws in the quarter and had 25 points at the half as the Rebels used a 25-point eruption to build a 37-27 lead. With 4:07 left in the second, Moss had 20 of the Rebels' 24 points. She finished 17-for-24 on free throws and Boone shot 23-for-33 as a team.

“She understands what her role is and she's willing to do what ever it takes to help us win,” Boone's Lydia Nash said of Moss. Nash scored all 12 of her points in the second half to help hold off the rallying Bluebirds, who trailed by 13 with 3:42 to play in the third.

“Lydia was the difference in the second half,” Fookes said

http://www.NKY.com