Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky AP All State Team
PlayMaker3 Wrote:Agreed! This kid is legit.

I agree he was probably the most skilled quarterback we saw this year, including a preseason Bolin.
LClion4life Wrote:The coaches are supposed to nominate them.

Coaches do not nominate for it, it is up to local media. Many media outlets do not take it seriously enough to nominate athletes from their region.
BoondockSaint Wrote:I know that what you said is true, and even with that the CJ All-State team is a more accurate list of the top players in the state, year in and year out.

Some years yes; some years no.

My son made first team All State AP and first team All BGP a few years back. Didn't make even honorable mention on the CJ (Coaches) team. I know a pretty decent number of coaches throughout the state. After the CJ team came out, I received multiple calls from coaches in differing areas of the state. They were apologizing. To a man, they all explained that they thought my son should have been first team, but because of pressure from other coaches, friendships with other coaches who lobbied to have their players selected, efforts to regional block vote, etc., he didn't make the team. One coach was from a team that we had beaten in the playoffs. I saw him at the state championship game in the Hilltopper Room. He and one of the other coaches from his school told me that Highlands that year had the most dominating O line in the state and that they'd ever seen at the high school level. They then went on to say that my son was the best O linemen on Highlands team. But the head coach of their team hadn't voted for him because he was trying to get a couple of his kids selected and had agreed to vote for a couple of O linemen from area schools in order to get the coaches of those kids to vote for his kids. That told me all I needed to know about the coaches selections.

Frankly I didn't care. Yeah every parent likes to see his/her son gets recognized. But once you get a better understanding how things work in the selection process, you quickly realize making or not making the team is not a reflection on how good your son really was.

It may be anathema to say it on here, but from what I know, the All-BGP team probably is the most accurate. Contrary to what people like to say, the owner of BGP does not just make the selections on his own. He has a group of advisors from all areas of the state along with a coach or two that he trusts to be impartial. They really hash the nominations quite a bit back and forth before the final selections are made.
charlie22 Wrote:Some years yes; some years no.

My son made first team All State AP and first team All BGP a few years back. Didn't make even honorable mention on the CJ (Coaches) team. I know a pretty decent number of coaches throughout the state. After the CJ team came out, I received multiple calls from coaches in differing areas of the state. They were apologizing. To a man, they all explained that they thought my son should have been first team, but because of pressure from other coaches, friendships with other coaches who lobbied to have their players selected, efforts to regional block vote, etc., he didn't make the team. One coach was from a team that we had beaten in the playoffs. I saw him at the state championship game in the Hilltopper Room. He and one of the other coaches from his school told me that Highlands that year had the most dominating O line in the state and that they'd ever seen at the high school level. They then went on to say that my son was the best O linemen on Highlands team. But the head coach of their team hadn't voted for him because he was trying to get a couple of his kids selected and had agreed to vote for a couple of O linemen from area schools in order to get the coaches of those kids to vote for his kids. That told me all I needed to know about the coaches selections.

Frankly I didn't care. Yeah every parent likes to see his/her son gets recognized. But once you get a better understanding how things work in the selection process, you quickly realize making or not making the team is not a reflection on how good your son really was.

It may be anathema to say it on here, but from what I know, the All-BGP team probably is the most accurate. Contrary to what people like to say, the owner of BGP does not just make the selections on his own. He has a group of advisors from all areas of the state along with a coach or two that he trusts to be impartial. They really hash the nominations quite a bit back and forth before the final selections are made.

Agreed 100%.
cole ousley - lone oak,and ryan timmons - franklin should have been at least honorable mention
Belfry0304 Wrote:Even more shocking, the one Central had only played two plays in Bowling Green. The two LB's Francis and Styles looked like all staters to me...

Francis & Styles have two more years. If they had had some picks they would have been complete linebackers. Hopefully they will perfect their pass coverage, although they did blitz a lot.
My son never even got an honorable mention from the AP , however he DID make courier journal ( back2back ) All BGP , Lex herald leaders class of the commonwealth , 1st team all south ( Orlando sentinel ), so to me AP is more political.
Coachdad Wrote:My son never even got an honorable mention from the AP , however he DID make courier journal ( back2back ) All BGP , Lex herald leaders class of the commonwealth , 1st team all south ( Orlando sentinel ), so to me AP is more political.

Understood and it doesn't surprise me. Sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason in why certain kids get selected and why certain kids aren't selected. With the AP, the downside is that it requires the AP members to actually make nominations and even if they do so (some don't) they are limited to 15. In a big area like Louisville where the sportswriter has to be very careful about who gets those 15 nominations and may not want to nominate too many kids from one school, kids that are deserving aren't even nominated. With the CJ, there are the problems I previously mentioned about coaches.
Congrats to Zach Hester! Much deserving to a great kid.

I, also, think LexCath's Kyle Bolin should've been on this list.
Williamsburgs qb Dalton Sizemore (soph) lead 1A in total passing yardage (2538), and total overall yardage (3315) and completely dismantled Harlan in the play-offs (38-6) and their qb makes HM and he don't. I watched this game Sizemore is a field general that can throw the long ball or pick you apart with his short range accuracy,great foot work and can throw on the run or run you over (778 yards rushing) Punts and Kicksoff for the team.No comparison sounds like some horse trading going on with the coaches and Harlan Daily Enterprise which was obvious after the SEKC awards when the kid he replaced at qb after the 3rd game of the season got all SEKC award and he got honorable mention. What a shame, O well this will be interesting.
Combs and Blanton were outstanding football players I saw them beleive me they are for real the problem they had could have been that entire Hazard team was loaded and sometimes I think it may cause anyone on the team to be overlooked But, you are right