Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mayfield
64.79%
Hazard
35.21%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield vs. Hazard (1A Championship)
Third time a charm? Bulldogs gearing up to bring title home to Hazard

http://hazard-herald.com/view/full_story...eft_column
gobigredMHS Wrote:I watched last years Mayfield-Hazard game and I forgot just how good this There is no way Hazard is going to be able to run the ball on us like they did last yearyears defense is compared to last years. . Hazard did make some costly turnovers, but our defense caused at least 2 of em and I am expecting it to happen again this year. I am sure you Hazard fans remember Jonathan Jackson, well he is back and bigger and faster. I think Hazard is going to be forced to go to the air, Beechwood was, and if they try to QB sneak it like last year I feel that may net them some yards but enough. Also don't forget that Mayfield plays all season on a grass surface, Hazard on turf, so you haven't even seen all the speed yet, lol.

I totaly agree .. but i did not think beechwood would either . We did eliminate vocke from the game tho.... the only thing is that hazzard has a big line and it could be over powering .. 5-8 yards at a time could kill us . thats the only thing on my mind that worrys me.. Hazzard has put up more passing yards and running yards than we have but teams played may have something to do with that?? The turff thing is a good point..
Cam Wrote:It aint easy to beat a team better than you, but it has happend. It also aint easy to beat a team back to back on the biggest stage of the year, but it has happend.

Ive played for hazard's coaching staff im sure they have the dawgs ready to play this year. Im gonna say this game will be won by a single touchdown either way... Go DAWGS

I hope not... But anything is possible !! It might be a small possibility but never the less its there..
ontopofthewest Wrote:I totaly agree .. but i did not think beechwood would either . We did eliminate vocke from the game tho.... the only thing is that hazzard has a big line and it could be over powering .. 5-8 yards at a time could kill us . thats the only thing on my mind that worrys me.. Hazzard has put up more passing yards and running yards than we have but teams played may have something to do with that?? The turff thing is a good point..

Beechwood didnt, they managed 4 first down on the entire night. Hazard's line is not as fast or strong as Beechwood's. They are not going to pound us for 5-8 yards, nor has anyone else we have played this year. Take a look at strength of schedule. Mayfield's schedule ranked alot higher. Relax, we will be fine
I think this game will be closer than what some expect but, it will still unfortunately be a no doubter for Mayfield. I really wish that Hazard would prove me wrong in this one but, I just don't think its possible! Good luck Dawgs!!

Mayfield - 35

Hazard - 7
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:GO BULLDOGS!!!!
[Image: http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/49289/...600Q85.jpg]

Love those helmets lol
"Hazard athletes are called BULLDOGS... A Bulldog is tenacious and stubborn he never knows when he is licked. He just won't quit. This tenaciousness has been the most pronounced characteristic of our teams throughout the years. Many times have our boys limped out at the half - ten, 15, and sometimes 20 points behind, but they would make a come-back in the second half and win the game. Our school has a reputation for putting out good teams. There have been a few years when we didn't even get out of the district, but we had a good team... As you represent our school, I urge you to think just a second on the characteristics of the BULLDOG... It's up to you to produce the old fighting spirit, the tenacity and determination of the Bulldog; to put your whole heart and soul into every game. Then, whether you win or lose, we are with you all the way... YOU ARE OUR BULLDOGS!!!!!"

- EMMA B. ROSS (1893-1970) from THE BULLDOG 1955
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:"Hazard athletes are called BULLDOGS... A Bulldog is tenacious and stubborn he never knows when he is licked. He just won't quit. This tenaciousness has been the most pronounced characteristic of our teams throughout the years. Many times have our boys limped out at the half - ten, 15, and sometimes 20 points behind, but they would make a come-back in the second half and win the game. Our school has a reputation for putting out good teams. There have been a few years when we didn't even get out of the district, but we had a good team... As you represent our school, I urge you to think just a second on the characteristics of the BULLDOG... It's up to you to produce the old fighting spirit, the tenacity and determination of the Bulldog; to put your whole heart and soul into every game. Then, whether you win or lose, we are with you all the way... YOU ARE OUR BULLDOGS!!!!!"

- EMMA B. ROSS (1893-1970) from THE BULLDOG 1955
Good post.

If I put the characteristics of a Cardinal on here ya'll will laugh at me LOL.
can this game be listened to online? If so what channel
Strikeout King Wrote:can this game be listened to online? If so what channel

You can listen to the Hazard - Mayfield game on WSGS.com or 101. WSGS at 12 Noon today. Pre-game begins at 11:30 AM. www.wsgs.com
^ I thought the Games started at 11:00 ?
Strikeout King Wrote:^ I thought the Games started at 11:00 ?

It's at 11 AM Bowling Green time. They are an hour behind us so it is 12 noon our time.
I'll get to see most of it before I have to head out
mywymc.com home of the mayfield cardinals
Oh come on that was last year and Jon combs. Jon combs wasn't a quarterback. He was a horrible quarterback no offense. This year they actually have a quarterback.Hazard has speed to. I just hope its a good ball game.
GAMEDAY! Good luck to both teams but most luck to Hazard.
Good Luck to the Hazard Bulldogs! Bring the gold back to Eastern Kentucky!:1:
Gameday... Good luck Hazard... Mayfield is a great team but I do believe Hazard can win..
Mayfield 40 Hazard 14 is my call. But good luck, Hazard, I'm still pulling for you to win, so prove me wrong!
Friday
CLASS A
Hazard vs. Mayfield
Kickoff: Noon (EST)
Records: Hazard 11-2; Mayfield 14-0.
Cantrall ratings: Hazard 69.3; Mayfield 81.7
History lesson: Mayfield has eight titles, including a 47-6 rout of Hazard in last year's finals, and eight runner-up finishes. Hazard has been runner-up twice in three years.
Third time a charm? Hazard lost to Beechwood 14-7 in the 2008 finals, and to Mayfield last year. Bulldogs Coach Mark Dixon said the state championship game is now a tangible goal for his players. "A lot of coaches and teams talk about getting to the championship game, but we've done it three times and got a taste of it. Now when the players work in the off-season, that's their goal. They know what it takes to get there."
Hazard's leaders: Evan Whitaker has passed for 2,284 yards, 28 TDs, 5 interceptions. Top receivers are Jordan Olinger (37 catches, 828 yards, 12 TDs), B.J. Combs (30 catches, 732 yards, 8 TDs) and Austin Johnson (31 catches, 677 yards, 6 TDs). Zack Blanton has rushed for 1,215 yards, 13 TDs. Combs leads the defense with 118 tackles. Nathan Higgins has 5 interceptions.
Mayfield's leaders: The Cardinals' state-best 29-game winning streak is built on a balanced offense and swarming defense. Jake Guhy has thrown for 2,129 yards, 23 TDs, 6 picks. Top receivers are William Higginson (37 catches, 630 yards, 6 TDs) and Louis Love (36 catches, 610 yards, 8 TDs). Jonathan Jackson has run for 1,462 yards, 18 TDs. Jackson also stars on defense with 148 tackles and 5 picks, including 2 he's run back for TDs. Mayfield has given up only 91 points in 14 games.
Key to victory: Mayfield's speed and athleticism overwhelmed Hazard last December. Hazard has to find a way to better deal with that this time around.
Hazard (11-2)
Coach: Mark Dixon
Clintwood, Va. W, 32-7
Somerset L, 14-0
LCA W, 43-7
Breathitt Co. L, 35-34
Prestonsburg W, 35-12
Harlan W, 38-13
Jenkins W, 68-15
Pineville W, 63-14
Sheldon Clark W, 46-22
Playoffs
Lynn Camp W, 63-6
Campbellsville W, 55-21
Williamsburg W, 28-0
Pikeville W, 57-35
Mayfield (14-0)
Coach: Joe Morris
Greenwood W, 20-6
Evansville, Ind. Harrison W, 59-14
Paducah Tilghman W, 24-6
Murray W, 35-7
Graves Co. W, 21-7
Marshall Co. W, 31-0
Fulton City W, 57-6
Fulton Co. W, 50-2
Russellville W, 42-0
Caldwell Co. W, 62-14
Playoffs
Caverna W, 65-8
Ky. Country Day W, 53-7
Lou. Holy Cross W, 44-0
Beechwood W, 19-14

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/01/19797...z1fO9DZhhj
At Houchens Industries/L.T. Smith Stadium, Bowling Green

Kickoff: Noon EST.

Records: Mayfield 14-0, Hazard 11-2.

Litkenhous Ratings: Mayfield (106.1) is No. 1 in Class A and No. 18 statewide; Hazard (92.0) is No. 4 in Class A.

Whom to watch: Mayfield’s Cardinals have one of the state’s top juniors in running back/linebacker Jonathan Jackson. The 6-foot 210-pounder is the team’s leading rusher with 1,643 yards and 21 touchdowns and its top defender with 156 tackles and five interceptions. Sophomore quarterback Jake Guhy, whose brother Luke led Mayfield to last year’s state title at quarterback, has passed for 2,224 yards and 23 TDs. The Bulldogs have a balanced offense led by junior quarterback Evan Whitaker (2,284 passing yards, 28 TDs) and senior running back Zack Blanton (1,215 rushing yards, 13 TDs). This is a rematch of last year’s Class A final, which Mayfield won 47-6.

Jason Frakes’ pick: Mayfield 35-13. Speedy Cardinals race to ninth state title, second straight 15-0 season.

Jody Demling’s pick: Mayfield 42-7. Cardinals collect win No. 30 in a row in easy fashion.

TICKETS, PARKING

Tickets are $10 per game at the gate. Parking is $5 at the two parking structures near the stadium and at the Creason lot. Free parking is available at the Adams Street, Kentucky Street and Center Street lots, with shuttle service to the stadium.

TELEVISION

Games will be carried on a delayed basis on WKYT in Lexington, WAVE in Louisville, WYMT in Hazard and WBKO in Bowling Green. Check local listings for times and dates.

WEBCASTS

All games will be streamed live for free at http://www.khsaa.tv. Radio broadcasts will be available at http://www.khsaa.org or http://www.khsaa.net. Also follow http://www.courier-journal.com as Jason Frakes and Jody Demling will host a live chat during all six games.
IHIGH.COM has this listed as a 11am kickoff I wonder why?
I hope Hazard wins.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:IHIGH.COM has this listed as a 11am kickoff I wonder why?

Because the game is being played at a location in the Central Time Zone and it is listed as local time for the event: 11 am CST. So noon in EST.
Wise one Wrote:Because the game is being played at a location in the Central Time Zone and it is listed as local time for the event: 11 am CST. So noon in EST.
Thanks
closer than last year im hoping for a hazard win but i think mayfield just has too much speed if hazard can hang in it until the 4 quarter we got a good chance to pull off a huge upset...................GO DAWGs
i think the game wont even be close i say mayfield by 20
at the half
Hazard 10
Mayfield 6

Maybe my mind will be changed.
Hazard playing a great game. Let's go bulldogs