Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franklin-Simpson 20 - Collins 15
Final
Missed this one, I think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Titans had one heck of a season.
congrats to FS, man Madisonville could have possible beening here instead.
FRANKLIN, KY. — After watching his team’s season end in heartbreaking fashion, Collins High School football coach Jerry Lucas stood in the middle of the field and wondered what could have been.

The Titans had three drives into the red zone end with no points and committed two fourth-quarter turnovers in a 20-15 loss at Franklin-Simpson in Friday’s Class 4-A state semifinal.

“People look at a game that’s so close, and you look at a call here or a call here and you’re thinking, ‘What the heck did you just call?’ ” Lucas said. “I look at it and say, ‘We were down there three times and just didn’t punch it in the end zone.’ ”

Chris Davis’ 9-yard touchdown run with 5:05 left gave the Wildcats (13-1) a 20-15 lead, and the Titans (11-3) couldn’t convert on their final two possessions.

Franklin-Simpson advanced to a state final for the first time since 1995 and will face Fort Thomas Highlands (14-0) at 4 p.m. EST next Saturday in Bowling Green. Highlands, a 20-time state champion, beat Lexington Catholic 42-21 in Friday’s other 4-A semifinal.

“It feels great,” said Franklin-Simpson senior Jerrell Wickware, who made two key plays for the Wildcats. “It feels like everything I’ve done for four years didn’t go to waste. We worked hard, and we deserved it.”

Collins scored on its first two possessions for a 9-0 lead and led 9-7 at halftime before a back-and-forth second half.

The Wildcats took a 14-9 lead with a wild fourth-and-12 play on the first drive of the third quarter. Quarterback Max Bennett threw a pass to the 15, where Wickware caught it and then pitched it behind his back.

Darrius Wickware, Jerrell’s cousin, picked up the loose ball and scampered the final 15 yards for a touchdown.

“That was just Darrius making a play,” Wildcats coach Tim Schlosser said. “It wasn’t designed to be dropped on the ground. We’d saved that play all year. They were really coming up on Jerrell, and we thought we could flip it back and get a score.”

Collins answered on its next drive, taking a 15-14 lead on Michael Collins’ 17-yard TD run. After a Franklin-Simpson turnover, the Titans drove the field and faced a fourth-and-5 at the 7 on the first play of the fourth quarter.
http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...fs?Avis=B2
Congrats to Collins on a great season! Has to be heartbreaking to not win this one after having so many chances but, there's always next year!!

Congrats to Franklin-Simpson on the win and I really hope that you guys can stick it to them Bluebirds!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Collins 9 0 6 0 - 15
Franklin-Simpson 7 0 7 6 - 20

C – Austin Nakatani 33 FG; C – Isaac Shaull 38 punt return (kick failed): FS – Darrius Wickware 7 run (Ian Greer kick); FS – Wickware 15 run with lateral after 7 pass from Max Bennett to Jerrell Wickware (Greer kick); C – Michael Brooks 17 run (run failed); FS – Chris Davis 9 run (run failed).

C FS
Total yards 259 297
First downs 17 21
Rushes-yards 35-171 54-230
Passing yards 88 67
Comp-att-int 9-14-1 6-9-1
Punts-avg. 1-0 3-16.3
Fumbles lost 1-1 2-2
Penalties-yds.
FRANKLIN - The Collins football team held the lead for most of its Class 4A state semifinal against host Franklin-Simpson, but it was the Wildcats who came out victorious.

Chris Davis' 9-yard touchdown run - which capped off an 18-play, 87-yard drive - with 5:05 to play gave Franklin-Simpson a 20-15 victory over the Titans at James "Shadetree" Mathews Stadium.

Collins (11-3) had one final chance to win the game, but sophomore quarterback Lawson Page's pass - which was intended for his older brother, Andrew - was intercepted with a little over 1 minute remaining.

"It's been a great ride," Titans Coach Jerry Lucas told his team after the game.

It looked like it was going to be a joy ride early on for Collins.

The Titans took the opening kickoff - which was returned to the Wildcats' 18 by Cedric Hinkle - and took a 3-0 lead on Austin Nakatani's 33-yard field goal.

Collins increased that lead to 9-0 a few minutes later when Isaac Shaull snared Darrius Wickware's punt behind the line of scrimmage, after a bad snap, and returned it 38 yards for a Titans' TD. The point-after kick attempt was blocked, but Collins still had an early lead.

Franklin-Simpson (13-1) responded with a 7-play, 49-yard scoring drive (after recovering the Titans' onside-kick attempt) that Wickware capped off with a 7-yard TD run to make it 9-7.

That was the score at halfitme too after Collins senior linebacker Michael Brooks picked off a pass by Wildcats quarterback Max Bennett at the goal line less than 12 seconds before intermission.

Franklin-Simpson, though, took the opening kickoff of the second half and drove downfield for the go-ahead touchdown.

The Wildcats's score, though, came under questionable circumstances. It happened when, on fourth-and-12 from the Titans' 22, Bennett passed to Jerrell Wickware near the 15. Wickware then lateraled the ball to his cousin, Darrius Wickware, who ran down the sideline and into the end zone while most of the Collins players stood and watched. They did so because it sounded as if one of the officials had blown his whistle after what could have been a forward lateral. The officials gathered for a few minutes before a touchdown was signaled.

The Titans answered immediately, though, with a 6-play, 73-yard drive. The last five plays of that quick march were runs as Darian Dugle ran for 3, 7 and 22 yards before Brooks gained 11, then 17. The latter put Collins up 15-14. The two-point conversion run try failed, but the the Titans had the lead. Moments later they had the ball back too, after a Wildcat fumble.

Collins seemed in control at that point, especially after five straight runs gave the Titans a first-and-goal at the 8. Collins, however, couldn't punch it into the end zone and eventually turned the ball over on downs early in the fourth quarter.

Franklin-Simpson took over at its own 13 and went on its game-winning march.

Darrius Wickware finished the game with 29 rushes for 165 yards as the Wildcats rushed 54 times for 230 yards. Bennett passed for 67 as Franklin-Simpson finished with 297 yards of offense.

On the flip side Collins had 259 yards of offense (171 rushing, 88 passing). Dugle ran 12 times for 63 yards, while Brooks carried the ball nine times for 54 yards. Lawson Page completed 9 of 14 passes for 88 yards, while Andrew Page finished with four catches for 51 yards. Brooks finished the game with 19 tackles, while Travis Kennon tallied 13.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/collins-falls-20-15
Some poor reporting in this article.
The discussion after the "hook and lateral" had nothing to do with an inadvertent whistle or if it was a lateral. D. Wickware dropped the lateral (a fumble) then scooped it up and scored. The officials discussed the fumble but got the call right.

D. Wickware officially had 187 yards rushing for the game.

There were a lot of complaints on both sides regarding the officials but they got their calls right, they just talked about things too much.
What game where you watching.
yes their was a question about the whistle being blown and the offical couldn't remember if he did or not. Yes there was a question about being a forward pass. Pretty close if you ask me.
No they didn't get everything right when they talked about it.

BYW, great high school game to watch. It was a war.
IMO, it came down to special teams just like i said it would.
To answer your questions:

I was watching the FS/Collins game.

It was clearly a lateral 2-3 yards.

It was a fumble, the official dropped his bean bag.

There was no discussion regarding a whistle. It was a question about advancing the fumble. I can get you an almost verbatim transcript if you like.

If special team play had determined the outcome FS would have lost it in the first quarter.

The outcome was determined by FS's ability to stop Collins in the red zone and FS's ability to drive and score.
hum then why was he asked if he blew the whistle and he said he couldn't rmember and kept is foot on the spot and not ran to the endzone..
you must keep the freaking chains down there...
Chains are on the opposite side of the field.

He was holding the spot where the fumble was picked up. He was not sure about advancing the fumble. Thus the discussion.
From what I saw, the pass WAS backwards. It was close, but it looked backwards to me. However, the whistle was blown and the official ran onto the field, and everyone stopped except for the ball carrier. Both teams began running of the field and the Franklin-Simpson defense and Collins offense began to run onto the field. After a very long conversation (they met after almost every penalty) they signaled a touchdown. Now that call did not determine the outcome of the game, but it sure didn't help Collins.

As for the people holding the chains, that was the first time I have ever seen a chain gang cheer for a team and harass and taunt the opposing teams fans. It was just plain ridiculous and very unsportsmanlike on their part. The fans were very nice though.

Aside from the officiating and chain gang, it was a GREAT high school football game. I would love to see both teams play each other again. Good luck to Franklin-Simpson against Highlands. I would also like to congratulate Coach Lucas and all of the Collins team on a wonderful season. In their first two years, they have gone 22-5, and this year they were a TD away from advancing to the state championship game. Collins has nothing to be ashamed of and should be good for years to come.