Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paterno To Retire At End Of Season
Thoughts?
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Penn State football coach Joe Paterno will retire at the end of the season, his long and illustrious career brought down because he failed to do all he could about an allegation of child sex abuse against a former assistant.

"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief," Paterno said in a statement released just after initial reports of his pending retirement.

Meanwhile, Penn State president Graham Spanier reportedly will be out of his job by the end of Wednesday. The Express Times of Lehigh Valley, citing a source close to the school's board of trustees, reports that Spanier either will resign or be voted out. Tom Ridge, the nation's first Homeland Security Secretary, has been mentioned as Spanier's possible successor.

A source told ESPN's Tom Rinaldi that it was Paterno's decision to retire and that he has had no contact with the board. It is not yet known if this is adequate action in the board's eyes. The board announced Tuesday night that a special committee will be appointed at the board's regular meeting Friday to investigate the case. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett said he plans to attend.

"I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today," Paterno said in his statement.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...end-season
He should not be allowed to coach another game...he should be fired, because he tried to cover it up.