Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands42 Cov Cath 37
Highlands seemed to have the game in hand and then had a turnover and instead of running the ball kept passing and was stopped a couple of times to allow CCH stay in the game and have a chance to win at the end. I felt HHS was picking up easy yards running the ball and if would have kept running, put up one or two scores while running the clock down, CCH would not have had a chance to win at the end. Usually teams try to keep the clock running agianst HHS, but CCH's strenght is their O and we should have run clock when up three scores.
interesting very interesting
Very good football game.
Damn I would have loved to watched this game.
sstack Wrote:Highlands seemed to have the game in hand and then had a turnover and instead of running the ball kept passing and was stopped a couple of times to allow CCH stay in the game and have a chance to win at the end. I felt HHS was picking up easy yards running the ball and if would have kept running, put up one or two scores while running the clock down, CCH would not have had a chance to win at the end. Usually teams try to keep the clock running agianst HHS, but CCH's strenght is their O and we should have run clock when up three scores.

They were never up 3 scores at any point in the game.
After all the trolling that took place in the prediction thread, I sure hope this gets some very good conversation.

I saw CCH a couple of time this year, and this margin did not shock me. CCH is a tremendously better team than what many had predicted and could very well be the toughest match-up for the Birds in 4A. These teams know each other better than they know any other team in the state. In Rivalry games, the scores are usually indicative of that knowledge of tendencies. I expected this would be a game with a 2 score margin and the final score may not show that, I still believe the Birds were a two score better team. Highlands did appear to change their strategy of grounding out yards and went to the air. But as much as that was not expected, I think the Birds over-estimated that they would catch the Colonels off balance by throwing more often.

Though CCH gave up 42, I could have expected their defense to keep the Birds in the 40's. What I did not expect was that the Colonels O could find a way to stick the ball in the end-zone. Their defense at times was their offense. There will be a lot of fans of teams that will look at this score and put a lot of credence into the margin that HHS won by and believe that CCH is in the same category of their teams. But fret not, their team would not play at the same level in the eye's of the Birds. I truly believe that though Highlands wants to beat CCH just as equal as any other team on their schedule, their desire to beat them also drives them to do things they would not usually do. That plays into the hands of the Colonels and usually means these games are always competitive. The difference is that HHS cares to much about beating CCH where the know they will drill other teams with no care at all!
Highlands defense was exposed today but against a good CovCath offense. Covcath could have won the game in the last minute but missed two passes on 3rd and 4th downs from around the 25 or 20 in Highlands territory.
Highlands has relied on it's passing offense in previous games but today mixed in a running attack that was very successful. Turnovers and a pourous defense almost cost HIghlands the game - not to mention the questionable clock management.
Kudos to both teams.
The 4A hardware doesnt seem as predetermined or predictable as some might think. Should be an exciting postseason to say the least!!
toolaidback Wrote:The 4A hardware doesnt seem as predetermined or predictable as some might think. Should be an exciting postseason to say the least!!

If you are trying to say Boyle still has a chance, I would put it at slim to none. Cov Cath's O is 10 times better than Boyles and their D is slightly better. It is still Highlands to lose and this game only shows Highlands needs to show up and play their game in the rematch with CCH. Highlands D did not play great, but it was their O that lead to many of the points for CCH. I also think the O play calling will be much different in a rematch. I am glad to see CCH playing better and making the rivalry games fun agian, but the rest of 4A is no CCH. As I have said the last 2 weeks, I felt the polls should be Highlands, followed by CCH, then JC and then Lex Cath and Boyle. I have Cath ahead of Boyle, but after next week we will know for sure. I do not think it will be an exciting post season as you think. I think we see Highlands, Cov Cath, Lex Cath, JC, Boyle with blow out first rounds, an exciting rematch with HHS/CCH to determine who goes on to easy victories the rest of the way to state championship.
Two things that Cov Cath has, that the rest of 4A does not, to keep games close with Highlands:

Good kicking game to make Highlands drive 80 or more yards every series.
And they have a good O that can chew up the clock, but also put points on the board. If Highlands has turnovers, like today, CCH can pull the upset. If Highlands plays mistake free, they win by 17-21.
sstack Wrote:Two things that Cov Cath has, that the rest of 4A does not, to keep games close with Highlands:

And they have a good O that can chew up the clock, but also put points on the board. If Highlands has turnovers, like today, CCH can pull the upset. If Highlands plays mistake free, they win by 17-21.

:truestory:
sstack Wrote:If you are trying to say Boyle still has a chance, I would put it at slim to none. Cov Cath's O is 10 times better than Boyles and their D is slightly better. It is still Highlands to lose and this game only shows Highlands needs to show up and play their game in the rematch with CCH. Highlands D did not play great, but it was their O that lead to many of the points for CCH. I also think the O play calling will be much different in a rematch. I am glad to see CCH playing better and making the rivalry games fun agian, but the rest of 4A is no CCH. As I have said the last 2 weeks, I felt the polls should be Highlands, followed by CCH, then JC and then Lex Cath and Boyle. I have Cath ahead of Boyle, but after next week we will know for sure. I do not think it will be an exciting post season as you think. I think we see Highlands, Cov Cath, Lex Cath, JC, Boyle with blow out first rounds, an exciting rematch with HHS/CCH to determine who goes on to easy victories the rest of the way to state championship.

I wasn't "TRYING" to say anything about Boyle. I was simply stating the fact that there are some really good teams in 4a and people shouldn't expect a cakewalk to pick up the hardware in Bowling Green. Less than 24 hours ago, not many were giving CCH a chance at this game...well, maybe a little lip service about how CCH will start the game strong and then fizzle out and the birds will take control. (You're welcome to take a gander at the prediction thread).Well, they proved that they can hang with them. I'm sure CCH will be tweaking their play calling the 2nd time around as well.

You really don't have to sell me on the fact that you don't think Boyle is very good this year, I know they have alot of room for improvement, i'm ok with that and with the fact that they have to completely rebuild their OL. There's still a whole lot of football to be played. We will be fine if we don't bring home the hardware. The think the question is...will others.
sstack Wrote:Two things that Cov Cath has, that the rest of 4A does not, to keep games close with Highlands:

What if Cov Cath plays mistake free?
nptb17 Wrote:What if Cov Cath plays mistake free?

I think they have to play mistake free and have Highlands have a few mistakes.
sstack Wrote:I think they have to play mistake free and have Highlands have a few mistakes.
I don't. Highlands defense is not that good. Cov Cath is still going to be able to run the ball and the qb proved that he can complete passes more than 10 yards which you said they wouldn't be able to do either. The Highlands offense is impressive though and Towels being able to take off makes them very hard to defend.
nptb17 Wrote:I don't. Highlands defense is not that good. Cov Cath is still going to be able to run the ball and the qb proved that he can complete passes more than 10 yards which you said they wouldn't be able to do either. The Highlands offense is impressive though and Towels being able to take off makes them very hard to defend.

Cov Cath D is not good either and in a shoot out Towles and company win.
sstack Wrote:Cov Cath D is not good either and in a shoot out Towles and company win.
I would take my chances with Towel and company in a shootout but it being Cov Cath and Highlands, you never know like I said earlier.
I think this just proves, that Highlands players are mere mortals like the rest of us.:biggrin:
adopted purple Wrote:I think this just proves, that Highlands players are mere mortals like the rest of us.:biggrin:

No it just shows that Cov Cath is farther ahead of 4A then the rest of the field.
sstack Wrote:If you are trying to say Boyle still has a chance, I would put it at slim to none. Cov Cath's O is 10 times better than Boyles and their D is slightly better. It is still Highlands to lose and this game only shows Highlands needs to show up and play their game in the rematch with CCH. Highlands D did not play great, but it was their O that lead to many of the points for CCH. I also think the O play calling will be much different in a rematch. I am glad to see CCH playing better and making the rivalry games fun agian, but the rest of 4A is no CCH. As I have said the last 2 weeks, I felt the polls should be Highlands, followed by CCH, then JC and then Lex Cath and Boyle. I have Cath ahead of Boyle, but after next week we will know for sure. I do not think it will be an exciting post season as you think. I think we see Highlands, Cov Cath, Lex Cath, JC, Boyle with blow out first rounds, an exciting rematch with HHS/CCH to determine who goes on to easy victories the rest of the way to state championship.

I'll concede that Highlands and Cov Cath should be 1,2 in the up coming polls this week but no way does JC jump ahead of Lex Cath and Boyle. JC's schedule thus far hasn't earned them a 3rd in the AP poll. I'm not saying JC is not a very good team but time will reveal all. Who knows, maybe Rockcastle or Russell County might slide into the top 3 in weeks to come.
knighted Wrote:I'll concede that Highlands and Cov Cath should be 1,2 in the up coming polls this week but no way does JC jump ahead of Lex Cath and Boyle. JC's schedule thus far hasn't earned them a 3rd in the AP poll. I'm not saying JC is not a very good team but time will reveal all. Who knows, maybe Rockcastle or Russell County might slide into the top 3 in weeks to come.

I agree with what you are saying. I have the same dilemma putting some teams over St. X in 6A due to their records, but you can't take a team in and say their record is better without comparing the opponents. Good post
You can't overlook Lex Catholic as being a contender either. Right now it's hard to say who's better between them and CC. I listened to the entire game, and CC made a few mistakes that really hurt them...but the real game winner was win HHS held them to a FG after CC recovered a Towles (even he is mortal) fumble on the HHS 1 Yard line.

The CC defense was really weak in the first half, but seemed to play better in the 2nd.

It's also hard to tell who's right behind HHS, CC, LC.....I personally don't think Johnson Central is next in line. Madisonville and Rock are playing really well, and there's no way to really compare them to the other schools yet.
Covington Catholic's performance in this game clearly puts them right behind Highlands. As much as I had to say this, Ashland is much, much better than almost everybody besides their own fans is giving them credit. There is no way at this point in the season that Johnson Central is better than Ashland and the Tomcats may be the third best team in 4A right now. Maybe by the end of the season, JC will burst Ashland's bubble and send them into their annual tailspin but the Tomcats deserve much more credit than they are getting. You can bet that Jim Matney is not underestimating Ashland.
One thing I wanna say hats off to both teams offence of line. CCH had all day to pass as well as HHS. And if I'm not mistaken I think CovCath Def Recorded the only sack of the game. Hole after hole on both sides.

you can say what you want about them being one and two in state
The only ranking any team should care about is the ranking Come Dece 5th
There are teams out there getting a lot of talk and some getting the blind eye.
Either way come playoff time its one game win or lose for everyone.
Season record, Region record, and District record don't mean a thing...its all about winning and moving on to the next Friday night...
And one thing about the 4a this year there is going to be some great matchup all the way to state...

52 weeks in a year....football season for some is 10-14. And 15 for the lucky few...
so if your a football fan just take it all in.
Was some starters out for the Birds in this game I know I seen one on the side lines one of the linebackers was there anymore?It was a fun game to watch better than all the blow outs. All in all the Birds played a bad game but with the teams they have been playing I should of seen this one coming Highlands will be fine they got their bad game out of their system now time to start the blow outs again I hope they get to play again and for the people that say Highlands are not better than the western ky side of the state well we all know how that has worked out for you :please:Time to move on.
mrb5150 Wrote:Was some starters out for the Birds in this game I know I seen one on the side lines one of the linebackers was there anymore?It was a fun game to watch better than all the blow outs. All in all the Birds played a bad game but with the teams they have been playing I should of seen this one coming Highlands will be fine they got their bad game out of their system now time to start the blow outs again I hope they get to play again and for the people that say Highlands are not better than the western ky side of the state well we all know how that has worked out for you :please:Time to move on.

#11 Brad Rouse was out with what looked like an ankle injury, and #17 Chad Bowden left the field on a stretcher after making a vicious hit on CovCath's final 4th down play. BTW, Bowden is expected to be OK.
While I couldn't attend the game, I can see some good things coming out of the game for Highlands:

1. contrary to what people think, inspite of the efforts of coaches, players being teenage kids often start believing the hype surrounding them. I'd say the Highlands players are a lot more grounded today than they were the day before they played CovCath. If they want to repeat, they better throw the hype away and concentrate. And I say that without wanting to take away anything away from CovCath, because....

2. CovCath is undoubtedly back. After the poor performances in 07, 08 and 09CovCath has proven last year and particularly this year, they are a contender to once again be taken very seriously. The weeks leading to the CovCath games in 07, 08 and 09 were actually rather relaxing for me, but it's kind of good that once again, the week leading up to the game against CovCath, will be one of anxiety and nerves. Welcome back Colonels.

3. Hopefully, some of the more overzealous Highlands fans on here (and the other sites) will start tempering their constant blow out predictions. Highlands is not the only program in 4A with very good coaches and very good, hard working, talented and committed players.
The linebacking and cornerback play has to improve. I'd move #3 Bruns to MLB. I'd move Dressman to OLB. He's not quick enough to cover the swing passes, but he's a solid tackler. He doesn't have the lateral quickness needed for the middle IMO. Moving him to the outside would help him. He just stonewalled lineman, rather than shedding blockers and getting ready to move side to side to make tackles. Bruns could clog the middle and has the lateral quickness to cover a lot of ground. He's also big enough to play MLB.

The corners were playing waaaay too soft. Make the QB and WR's prove they can beat you over the top. I don't think they could. Saturday's effort won't beat an Elder team fighting for their playoff lives. The defense was very disappointing overall.
Wideleft01 Wrote:The linebacking and cornerback play has to improve. I'd move #3 Bruns to MLB. I'd move Dressman to OLB. He's not quick enough to cover the swing passes, but he's a solid tackler. He doesn't have the lateral quickness needed for the middle IMO. Moving him to the outside would help him. He just stonewalled lineman, rather than shedding blockers and getting ready to move side to side to make tackles. Bruns could clog the middle and has the lateral quickness to cover a lot of ground. He's also big enough to play MLB.

The corners were playing waaaay too soft. Make the QB and WR's prove they can beat you over the top. I don't think they could. Saturday's effort won't beat an Elder team fighting for their playoff lives. The defense was very disappointing overall.

Special teams were not very good either. However, they have had very little times when they have had to punt this year (the long punt return in the CCH game hurt), kick off coverage was not too good and kick off return (only one was returnable if I remember correctly) was bad and left the O starting on the 7. Turn overs hurt also. If they play like that agianst Elder, you are right, they will not beat Elder. But I am still very very confident they will 4A title.