Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Corbin get transfers?
I admit the person I heard this from isn't the most up to date on Corbin sports but he told me that Corbin has two foreign exchange students or transfers from England and Brazil that are supposed to be really good. Has anyone heard of this or is it just a bogus rumor that got misinterpreted to me.
Here is what I finally heard from someone who would most certainly know. Corbin has a 6'6" kid from Austrailia. He is a foreign exchange student and planned on going to North Laurel. The family he is staying with was told that North doesn't accept anymore exchange student athletes due to the fiasco a few years ago. His host family then tried to enroll him at South Laurel but they only accept so many exchange students per year and that has been met. This is why he is at Corbin now.

I do not know how good the kid is but that's the scuttlebut that was told to me last night at the football game.
Figures.
Corbin always gets some type of transfer....
They haven't had one in quite a while. If what I was told is correct, sounds like it was more of them just lucking into getting one rather than the stereotypical ways they get em.
HAROLD Wrote:They haven't had one in quite a while. If what I was told is correct, sounds like it was more of them just lucking into getting one rather than the stereotypical ways they get em.

I understand where your coming from, but they better be careful with the exchange student transfers after what North had to deal with.
What did North Laurel have to deal with? I know they had Daniel Dillon & he was ruled in-eligible mid way throughout the year but never new the inside outs of it.
I'm not too sure to be honest. I know they had 3 exchange students the year before Dillon. A Big Man from Austrailia, and 2 really good guards from Iceland and Sweeden. I think the Dillon situation, was just the straw that broke the camels back as North was seemingly going to start making a habit of bringing a new crop of exchange students in each year.

I don't necessarily see a problem of having exchange students as athletes just as long as it doesn't turn into a prep school like turnover each year. I know you have a lot of foreign exchange students play secondary sports such as Tennis and Soccer each year at numerous schools with no complaints.
That last post was by me. I guess I wasn't logged in.
Why did Daniel Dillon get ruled ineligible halfway through though?
so is this fact or still a rumor?
Strikeout King Wrote:so is this fact or still a rumor?

Fact.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Fact.

just took rumor off the thread title
Funny thing is, the year they had Dillon, South was still able to beat them with players who all grew up in London and Laurel Co.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Funny thing is, the year they had Dillon, South was still able to beat them with players who all grew up in London and Laurel Co.

North and South Laurel actually split that year (03-04). South won by 2 at North. North won by 5 at North and South won by 1 at South. I don't think all of South's players grew up in Laurel County. I know their big man was a transfer from North but was from Clay County.
Unregistered Wrote:I'm not too sure to be honest. I know they had 3 exchange students the year before Dillon. A Big Man from Austrailia, and 2 really good guards from Iceland and Sweeden.

North had a a post player from Australia and a guard from Iceland but they never had a player that I knew of from Sweden. I think the kid you are thinking of was from Lithuania. He as more of a 3 or 4 than a guard.
No, the kid you are thinkin of is Arnes Arenis. He was from Aregntina. Oliver Mansor was from Australia. The point guard was from Iceland. His lat name was polson. But these were the 3 norths players. South also didnt win with kids from london, the had a foreign exchange student from puerto rico. juohan rivera
Southern Ky AAU Wrote:No, the kid you are thinkin of is Arnes Arenis. He was from Aregntina.

I think you are mistaken on this one. The kid's name was Armas Silias (sp?). Armas was from an eastern European country. I'm almost sure he was from Lithuania. North Laurel never had an exchange student from South America. Armas played at Walter's State Community College in Morristown, Tn. after graduating from North Laurel.
I just do not believe that North + South turned this kid away. I would say this kid was going to Corbin from the start. If he can play this puts them back in the top 3 or 4 in the 13th to start the season.
Mountain Wrote:I just do not believe that North + South turned this kid away. I would say this kid was going to Corbin from the start. If he can play this puts them back in the top 3 or 4 in the 13th to start the season.

That's exactly what happened. The AD at North Laurel told the host family that he could not play there, so they went to South Laurel, who was already at the limit for exchange student athletes, so then they took him to Corbin. The whole situation is kind of funny since the host family are definitely not Redhound fans.

I heard that another very tall exchange student last week checked with Corbin about playing and was told that he should check elsewhere and was talking with Lynn Camp last Thursday. Not sure about this though.
Mountain Wrote:I just do not believe that North + South turned this kid away. I would say this kid was going to Corbin from the start. If he can play this puts them back in the top 3 or 4 in the 13th to start the season.

If this policy is still in effect, the link below will address your skepticism concerning NL not letting the kid participate in basketball.

http://www.laurel.k12.ky.us/schools/nort...olicy1.pdf
so did corbin get one or two new players?
I heard that they got a brazilian that is expected to be pretty solid. Just hearsay though