Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's the top 5 bball players in the history of the mountains?
Who do you think belong among the top 5 players in the history of the mountains?

Im gonna say "King" Kelly Colman(wayland)
J.R. VanHoose(paintsville)
Riche, Farmer(clay co.)
Ervin Stepp(phelps)
Todd May(Virgie)

No perticular order.
"class of 08" Wrote:Who do you think belong among the top 5 players in the history of the mountains?

Riche, Farmer(clay co.)
Ervin Stepp(phelps)
Todd May(Virgie)

No perticular order.

I agree with you, but somewhere somehow you have to make room for Pat Talent of Maytown.
1-King Kelly Colemen(wayland)
2-Farmer( clay co.)
3-Vanhoose( paintsville)
4-Ben Bowling(p.c.c.)
5-Russ Chadwell( clay co.)
1. Todd May (Virgie)
2. J.R. VanHoose (Paintsville)
3. Jody Thompson (Feds Creek)
4. John Pelphrey (Paintsville)
5. Ervin Stepp (Phelps)
"class of 08" Wrote:Who do you think belong among the top 5 players in the history of the mountains?

Riche, Farmer(clay co.)
Ervin Stepp(phelps)
Todd May(Virgie)

No perticular order.

This list looks good to me. I'm sure there are some guys other than Coleman who deserve to be mentioned but I'm too young to really know.

From Martin County Billy Ray Cassady from Inez and Joe Stepp (Erv's brother and Clark's dad) from Warfield should get a mention.
"Bob Knight" Wrote:This list looks good to me. I'm sure there are some guys other than Coleman who deserve to be mentioned but I'm too young to really know.

From Martin County Billy Ray Cassady from Inez and Joe Stepp (Erv's brother and Clark's dad) from Warfield should get a mention.
King Kelly Coleman was there before three's and still holds the record for most points in a game at the sweet 16.
"free throw" Wrote:King Kelly Coleman was there before three's and still holds the record for most points in a game at the sweet 16.

Not saying Coleman doesn't belong, heck he is at the top of mine nd most everyone's list. I guess it did kinda come out that way. I was just saying that I know ther were alot of outstanding players before 1980 that I have no clue about.
"Bob Knight" Wrote:Not saying Coleman doesn't belong, heck he is at the top of mine nd most everyone's list. I guess it did kinda come out that way. I was just saying that I know ther were alot of outstanding players before 1980 that I have no clue about.

Here a list of a few players before 1980.
There is a good artical on Charlie Osborne on Western Kentucky's Basketball Web Site.

1) King Kelly Coleman - Wayland HS leading scorer in Ky HS basketball
2) Charlie Osborne - Flat Gap HS (Mid to late 50's)2nd leading scorer in Ky HS basketball, played at Western Ky and was drafted into the NBA. Injured during preseason and did not play in the NBA.
3) Donny Butcher - Meade HS (Mid to late 50's) One of the leading scorers for Pikeville College. Drafted by the NBA played 5 or 6 seassons for New York and Detroit and coached a couple of seasons for Detroit.
justin stafford...
Colman scored 4,337 points in his career thats 7th all time in the nation. He averaged nearly 50ppg his senoir season which is 10th all time. and once had 75 points and 41 rebounds in a game agaist Maytown.
A few more names pre 1980
Carol Burchett Flat Gap HS (Mid to late 50's) played for UK started his jr. and sr. years
Bob and Pat Talant Maytown (60's) One played at UK before transfering.
Wendall Wallen - Johnson Central (early 70's) played at Morehead
Paul Lemaster - Johnson Central (early to mid 70's) played at Morehead
Herbie Stamper - Knott County Central (early to Mid 70's) Played at Morehead
Alvin Ratliff - Meade HS (played in the 60's)

Riche, Farmer(clay co.)
Ervin Stepp(phelps)
Todd May(Virgie)

No perticular order.

I agree 100%...Todd May is forgoten alot!...he was AMAZING!
Well Todd May has to be in there, Richie Farmer, Kelly Coleman, Ervin Stepp, and J.R. Vanhoose, sounds about right. There are a few names that needs to mentioned though, Jody Thompson from Feds Creek, Hef Conley from Elkhorn City, and Jeremy Hall who went on to play at Wisconsin.
I was going to put Hef Conley on my list over Ervin Steep, he was indeed a good player who signed with Georgetown College then went to Pikeville but I don't know how much he played there due to a few things.
OLD SCHOOL you got some impressive names great list.
Todd May should be on the list for sure.
i think you all are leaving out stevie smith from mcdowell he played for NC state and marshall
What about Big Moose Moore from Owsley county.
We also forgot about Carl Wallace of Hazard.
Cecil Clair-Breathitt county
Steve Johnson-Wolfe co.
just wondering if you ever heard of these guys.
Carl W allace could be the best guard to ever come out of the mountains( hazard)
1. "King" Kelly Coleman (Wayland)
2. Todd May (Virgie)
3. Ervin Stepp (Phelps)
4.. J.R. VanHoose (Paintsville)
5. Jody Thompson (Feds Creek)
1. "King" Kelly Coleman (Wayland)
2. Todd May (Virgie)
3. Ervin Stepp (Phelps)

you realy have to put pelphrey in there some were. and you might want to think about the players success after they exit high school and go to college.
hello richie farmer!
"Battle Tested" Wrote:1. "King" Kelly Coleman (Wayland)
2. Todd May (Virgie)
3. Ervin Stepp (Phelps)

you realy have to put pelphrey in there some were. and you might want to think about the players success after they exit high school and go to college.

You have your opinion, and I'm standing by mine....
im not knockin your top 5 but i do think we need to expand to top 10
"bevinsville_bomber" Wrote:1. "King" Kelly Coleman (Wayland)
2. Todd May (Virgie)
3. Ervin Stepp (Phelps)

Niiiiiice list BB.

If there were more slots I would add Conley from Elkhorn and Pigg from Millard. Both were legends.
1. "King" Kelly Coleman, Wayland: In 1956 there were 3 premire high school basketball players in the Eastern United States. Jerry West (The NBA symbol), Oscar Robertson (Only player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season), and the King. The King was thought to be the best. Enough Said. He also cariied Waylad to the semifinals of the State Tournament.
2. Richie Farmer, Clay Co: The only player in Kentucky basketball history to play in 5 sweet sixteens. He played in the state championship two years in a row and put on what some consider to be the best championship game performance ever. (51 points in the finals against Allan Houston and Ballard)
3. JR Vanhoose, Paintsville: A 4 time state tournament performer played on the last day of the season 3 straight years. (!996-1998) Was possibly the most dominating presence in the state for 3 straight years. When JR played well the game was over, just ask Danny Haney. Was one of the classiest players I have ever laid my eyes on. Was hard to not like the kid because the way he played, but it was impossible not to respect him.
4. Todd May, Virgie: Maybe the most gifted offensive big man from Eastern Kentucky ever. When he went to UK as a freshman he was thought mre highly of than this fella named Kenny "SKY" Walker. (Walkers jersey now hangs from the rafters in Rupp) Carried Virgie to the semifinals of sweet sixteen.
5. Billy Ray Cassady, Inez: Key member of the 1954 state championship team and National Championship 1958 Kentucky (Fiddlin Five) team. Was the backbone of basketball tradition rich Inez High School. 1954 team also won the LIT championship.

These are my top five because they did the most where it matters ikn the wins and loss colums. Every player here played in the State Tournament. Ervin Stepp of Phelps & JJ Hylton of Belfry were great scorers and Hylton played in the sweet sixteen, but I don't think they hold water next to these five. That is just my opinion and I'm sure others will se it as wrong.
I can't believe that John Pelphrey isn't getting more mentions, that is ridiculous.
"Matney's Prodigey" Wrote:3. JR Vanhoose, Paintsville: A 4 time state tournament performer played on the last day of the season 3 straight years. (!996-1998) Was possibly the most dominating presence in the state for 3 straight years. When JR played well the game was over, just ask Danny Haney. Was one of the classiest players I have ever laid my eyes on. Was hard to not like the kid because the way he played, but it was impossible not to respect him.

Thanks, I appreciate your feelings. I don't care about being called a great player, that will always be up for debate, but as long as people say that they believe that I played with class means more than anything!!! Thanks again!!!!!
In no particular order because they played in different eras:
King Kelly Coleman
Todd May
JR Vanhoose
Richie Farmer
Donnis Butcher....Sorry, I can't stop at five....
Ervin Stepp
John Pelphrey
Jody Thompson