Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern wins 2011 Food City tourney
Congrats to Southwestern on winning the 2011 Food City "Summer Slam" at Prestonsburg !!!!

South Floyd was the runner-up in the championship backet.

East Ridge won the Silver bracket by defeating Perry Co. Cent.

Note : Best wishes to SF's Ashley Castle who sprained her ankle badly in the championship match.
Hope she is ok. A real competitor. Congrats Southwestern!
Congrats to Southwestern, good looking squad. Also, shout out to my Lady Raiders, after the way Friday evening started with bus issues and delays, you did a great job of bouncing back and playing well in this tourney. Ashley will be ok, probably out a couple of weeks, our freshman setter performed well considering what she was thrown into. I seen some very good volleyball this weekend and some impressive players from the 15th region teams. Good job Kiana Hall and Joslyn Isaac from SF, the two of you had an outstanding hitting tourney. Hate to hear that this tournament may not continue next year or possibly switch venues, hope to see it continue.
Best wished to Ashley Castle for a speedy recovery and quick return to VB. There was some good volleyball from several teams. Hopefully, this tourney can continue because it is always a good tourney!
An outstanding tourney from what I hear. So sorry to hear my PHS team didn't do as well as hoped, dropped a close one to the Russell Red Devils in the last game, I believe. Congratulations to all teams, and hoping the young lady who was injured gets a speedy recovery.

On another note, while I understand some people's reluctance to move the venue, I think an excellent place to move it to would be the East KY Expo in Pikeville. Nice, large arena with plenty of parking and seating, it would be a great place for an event of this size.
The sportsplex in Knott County would be an idea place for a volleyball tournament, however there are no hotels or restaurants close by for any out of town teams to use. They could stay in Hazard or Prestonsburg.
The Sportsplex would be a great idea--5 games at a time!! The tournament could be run with fewer people and the teams would not have to travel from one school to another.
bigvolleyfan Wrote:The sportsplex in Knott County would be an idea place for a volleyball tournament, however there are no hotels or restaurants close by for any out of town teams to use. They could stay in Hazard or Prestonsburg.
Precisely why the Expo in Pikeville makes much more sense to me.
I wonder where they will end up moving the Food City Tourney, or if there will even be a tournament next year?

I think that the Expo would be a great site for the region tournament!

PHS Forever- I only saw Pikeville play on Friday (I was there cheering for Piarist!)... they were in a rough pool. Two of their three loses are from Betsy Layne, who has proved they're still one of the top teams in the region and Southwestern, who I believe was one of the final 8 teams in the state tournament last year and ended up winning the gold bracket on Saturday. I liked what I saw out of Pikeville and think they will have a great season.

Piarist is extremely young and only has two high school girls on their team. As long as they stick together, they should be very good in the future!
It's possible Prestonsburg will continue to host the tourney, they have a great relationship with the Food City folks. It was just a down year for the number of volunteers (the boosters were almost spread to thin this year). If at all possible we will continue the event just because the ones who got it started 4 yrs. ago really don't want to see it end.

We try and run a good tourney and like the set-up we have it's just tough when your team numbers are down which means your number of booster parents are down. This happened to be that year.

It was a very good tourney and congrats to Southwestern for adding their name to the champions list :

Food City " Summer Slam" Champs
2008 : South Laurel
2009 : Betsy Layne
2010 : Allen Central
2011 : Southwestern

If all goes well then we'll have the 2012 tourney next Aug. !!!!
Another note for the tourney.

Allen Central had to drop due to a sch. conflict which meant a replacement had to be found on short notice.
Thanks to Magoffin Co. for stepping in that slot and while many thought it would weaken that pool, Magoffin is improving and finished 3rd in that pool.
Thanks again to coach Howard and his team & fans.
UK Fan14 Wrote:It's possible Prestonsburg will continue to host the tourney, they have a great relationship with the Food City folks. It was just a down year for the number of volunteers (the boosters were almost spread to thin this year). If at all possible we will continue the event just because the ones who got it started 4 yrs. ago really don't want to see it end.

We try and run a good tourney and like the set-up we have it's just tough when your team numbers are down which means your number of booster parents are down. This happened to be that year.

It was a very good tourney and congrats to Southwestern for adding their name to the champions list :

Food City " Summer Slam" Champs
2008 : South Laurel
2009 : Betsy Layne
2010 : Allen Central
2011 : Southwestern

If all goes well then we'll have the 2012 tourney next Aug. !!!!
No one does not appreciate the effort you folks put into the tourney at all, please understand. But I for one, would be happy to see them move it to Pikeville. We would have (all within a 5 mile radius) the Expo center, the Blue Goose gym, the PHS gym. And if really needed, I am sure arrangements could be made for the Mullins Middle School or PCC gym. Treat the Expo Center games like Center Court for Wimbledon, so to speak, and on the final day, have all games there, make it an all day thing. Plenty of parking, hotel rooms close by, places to eat very close by, etc. With the city now running the Expo, I know they would be happy to work with Food City and the organizers. The Expo has done a great job with regional basketball tourneys, etc, and I see no reason they couldn't do the same for this tourney. Might also help the numbers come up.
GoReds Wrote:I wonder where they will end up moving the Food City Tourney, or if there will even be a tournament next year?

I think that the Expo would be a great site for the region tournament!

PHS Forever- I only saw Pikeville play on Friday (I was there cheering for Piarist!)... they were in a rough pool. Two of their three loses are from Betsy Layne, who has proved they're still one of the top teams in the region and Southwestern, who I believe was one of the final 8 teams in the state tournament last year and ended up winning the gold bracket on Saturday. I liked what I saw out of Pikeville and think they will have a great season.

Piarist is extremely young and only has two high school girls on their team. As long as they stick together, they should be very good in the future!
Thanks! I knew the pool was rough the minute I looked at it. Really tough pool. Piarist, from what I heard, just needs time and patience and they will be fine.