Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 48 Milan#2 (TN-3A) 10 Scrimmage
Man Mayfield looked good in easily handling the highly rated Milan Bulldogs in a game simulated scrimmage at Milan. Beware 1A, Mayfield looks like they plan on having a major say in the title hunt. This win was a suprise and the margin was a shock to all on both sides given Milan's lofty ranking
Really good job but I have a question, when did they start in full pads that seeems early for a scrimmage
Do you have the box score on that scrimmage. Id like to see who scored the Td's and see what the defense did.
^ Is there ever a box score for a scrimmage in High School?
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Man Mayfield looked good in easily handling the highly rated Milan Bulldogs in a game simulated scrimmage at Milan. Beware 1A, Mayfield looks like they plan on having a major say in the title hunt. This win was a suprise and the margin was a shock to all on both sides given Milan's lofty ranking

I think most years they do have a major say about 1A football. Always a power.
Does Mayfield scrimmage this team every year? I've noticed the past two or three seasons that they have played them. Anytime a Kentucky can go to any other state and win it's awesome. Great job MHS!:praise:
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:I think most years they do have a major say about 1A football. Always a power.
Does Mayfield scrimmage this team every year? I've noticed the past two or three seasons that they have played them. Anytime a Kentucky can go to any other state and win it's awesome. Great job MHS!:praise:

Milan's head coach, ____ Morris, is the cousin of Mayfield coach joe moriis. The teams have either scrimmaged every year fo the last 15 years of so. Milan's Morris has a pair of state titles as does May.
how did these teams scrimmage so early?, I thought the first week on inter squad participation is next friday
moday of the 15th is game week. we always start scrimmageing 2 weeks before the first game. milian and mayfield has been doing this for a while. like he said ten to 15 years. milian is usally always ranked in the top 2 in the tn 3a . they were able to own the field at this early with jake guy in at qb he is in a lot better position than where luke was this time last year. it looks very promising the rest of the team seems to be more stacked than anticipated. the echos of back to back 15-0 seasons are already being heard.....
the local news released the rankings and had mayfield at #2 .....? i know we lost players but just dont see how you could give #1 to a team that could had been easly shut out last year at beechwood.... both teams lost their Qb, ours just happens to be better this year with a guy just as equal if not better sitting on the bench. hurtin a lil on th o line but the team is faster this year. i dont expect beechwood to stay at the 1 spot very long although it will perhaps be a very good game that we'r going to have to wait 14 more weeks for...
no box scores.. sorry
I agree Mayfield should be preseason # 1 after winning it all. But I guess people dont see it that way. Some of you Mayfield fans fill me in on the scrimmage there. Id like to know how you scored your touchdowns.
mostly pass but couple on the fast track
bac2369 Wrote:I agree Mayfield should be preseason # 1 after winning it all. But I guess people dont see it that way. Some of you Mayfield fans fill me in on the scrimmage there. Id like to know how you scored your touchdowns.

Isn't the owner/president of bgp a big covington area person/fan? He gets final say on whatever! I don't want to take anything away from BHS. They are very good year in year out. But MHS ran through the field last year and basically have the same team back. So why shouldn't MHS still be ranked #1 in 1A till someone knocks them off?:1: in my book till you lose!
I thought Jonathan Jackson looked great. Looks like he's bulked up quite abit this year and hit the weights in offseason. Looked quicker, as well. I thought all 3 QBs did a good job. Jake Guhy is definately the passer of the group, but, Hughes threw a couple of nice balls and he's definately the better athlete, has good size and can run the ball well. I also thought Reed showed great quickness and is hard to catch with awsome running ability. The OL is still a question mark, imo. They have 2 or 3 with pretty good size, but, looked a little small overall and Milans DL was able to get some pressure on the QB, something teams just didn't do last year. If there's a weakness, I say that would be it, but, I do think they'll be okay there with a few games under there belts. The receiving corp with Higginson, Brown, Ross and a couple of other new kids look to be a strong suit. I don't think they lose a beat there. Dondre Jackson and Stuart Mills look like they'll be solid slippery RBs to compliment Jonathan. Once again, speed will be excellent overall and prob a notch if not two faster from last year and they'll have numerous playmakers in all the key areas.

On the defensive side, I think they're gonna be as strong as last year. The LB corp is the heart and soul and probably stronger than last year and Higginson looks like a real strong shutdown corner. The DEs are both about 6'4 to 6'5 and over 200 and have good quickness and will give OLs fits this year. The DL is a little on the smallish side and the other DBs, a bit athletic and quick but still have some work to do. Milan was able to blow the DL off the ball at times and the other CBs need some work in pass coverage, but, I think they'll improve as the year goes on. Overall, they're all good tacklers and pursue left and right really well, and that'll make up for alot.

I thought Wynstra (Mark's lil brother)looked really solid on his PATs and punts, so, the kicking game shouldn't miss a beat. IMO, Guhy will ultimately get the majority of snaps at QB, although he is the smaller (weight) of the 3 but probably posses the largest threat in the air as he seems to be the best fit for the type offense they run, but, Hughes is a really good looking athlete with size speed and a good head, so, I hope they can find a place for him somewhere on the field, possibly at RB or WR or at S on defense. Or can i Say, very deep threat throwing halfback :eyeroll: He needs to be somewhere on the field, if not behind center. Once again, there roster is pretty large, especially for a 1a team, as they dress 55-65 kids. They seem as good as the end of the season team last year, at least at this point, but, they definately have a ton of speedy athleticism and potential and it'll still take one heck of a team to knock them off there perch. There's alot to look forward too in Cardinal land.
Milan has an outstanding line with very good size and they have a deep roster. They also have several very solid skilled players. Mayfield took advantage of a few early Milan turnovers and relyed on several big plays. We didn't exactly take the ball and drive it down there throats. It did seem as the game wore on, the Cardinals were able to withstand the heat a little better, which is a good sign and a little surprising, considering the difference in roster numbers, but, Milans a good ball club. Just appeared Mayfield got the momentum after the 3rd or 4th series and seized it. Thats what championship caliber teams do. Give the Cardinals some credit for going to there place and playing as well as they did. The Cardinals, for some reason, seem to play with that edge and swagger and I credit last years success and good coaching for that. They just feel like they should win everytime they hit the field and thats a great attribute to have and can make up for alot of the youth they have. These kids may not have started last year, but, they tasted success just the same and have the desire to go back and do it again. Success breeds success. The Milan win by a large margin is confusing at best. In past years when Mayfield has won this scrimmage they have gone on to have monster years and in the years they hav lost this scrimmage they have had mediocure seasons. Milan returns alot and was highly ranked so Mayfield giving them a beating like this is hard to figure and may or may not be meaningful.
ontopofthewest Wrote:I thought Jonathan Jackson looked great. Looks like he's bulked up quite abit this year and hit the weights in offseason. Looked quicker, as well. I thought all 3 QBs did a good job. Jake Guhy is definately the passer of the group, but, Hughes threw a couple of nice balls and he's definately the better athlete, has good size and can run the ball well. I also thought Reed showed great quickness and is hard to catch with awsome running ability. The OL is still a question mark, imo. They have 2 or 3 with pretty good size, but, looked a little small overall and Milans DL was able to get some pressure on the QB, something teams just didn't do last year. If there's a weakness, I say that would be it, but, I do think they'll be okay there with a few games under there belts. The receiving corp with Higginson, Brown, Ross and a couple of other new kids look to be a strong suit. I don't think they lose a beat there. Dondre Jackson and Stuart Mills look like they'll be solid slippery RBs to compliment Jonathan. Once again, speed will be excellent overall and prob a notch if not two faster from last year and they'll have numerous playmakers in all the key areas.

On the defensive side, I think they're gonna be as strong as last year. The LB corp is the heart and soul and probably stronger than last year and Higginson looks like a real strong shutdown corner. The DEs are both about 6'4 to 6'5 and over 200 and have good quickness and will give OLs fits this year. The DL is a little on the smallish side and the other DBs, a bit athletic and quick but still have some work to do. Milan was able to blow the DL off the ball at times and the other CBs need some work in pass coverage, but, I think they'll improve as the year goes on. Overall, they're all good tacklers and pursue left and right really well, and that'll make up for alot.

I thought Wynstra (Mark's lil brother)looked really solid on his PATs and punts, so, the kicking game shouldn't miss a beat. IMO, Guhy will ultimately get the majority of snaps at QB, although he is the smaller (weight) of the 3 but probably posses the largest threat in the air as he seems to be the best fit for the type offense they run, but, Hughes is a really good looking athlete with size speed and a good head, so, I hope they can find a place for him somewhere on the field, possibly at RB or WR or at S on defense. Or can i Say, very deep threat throwing halfback :eyeroll: He needs to be somewhere on the field, if not behind center. Once again, there roster is pretty large, especially for a 1a team, as they dress 55-65 kids. They seem as good as the end of the season team last year, at least at this point, but, they definately have a ton of speedy athleticism and potential and it'll still take one heck of a team to knock them off there perch. There's alot to look forward too in Cardinal land.

Has Mayfield figured out who they are going to start at QB for sure. I figured Jackson to be as good as he is but anyone really stand out besides him? Its very good to have two very good defensive ends against a passing team but do you think the middle of the defense will have a little probably on the line in the defensive tackles positions because i know the LB is stout and not gonig to give up much. Corners is another thing i thought might be a little issue oberseving what Mayfield has returning. I also agree the kids will get better each game they play. I think Mayfield will be tested early this year as I have noticed the Schedule to be much more difficult than last year.
bac2369 Wrote:Has Mayfield figured out who they are going to start at QB for sure. I figured Jackson to be as good as he is but anyone really stand out besides him? Its very good to have two very good defensive ends against a passing team but do you think the middle of the defense will have a little probably on the line in the defensive tackles positions because i know the LB is stout and not gonig to give up much. Corners is another thing i thought might be a little issue oberseving what Mayfield has returning. I also agree the kids will get better each game they play. I think Mayfield will be tested early this year as I have noticed the Schedule to be much more difficult than last year.

it will most likly be guhy. they will change them in and out depending on the team and type of d we are playing.Jackson has progressed quite well over the off season. there is plenty of depth that should develope during the year and on the whole team lots and lots of speed. defence will not be a issue as they are likly to be better than last year.... paducah will be the only test mayfield faces untill late....
Ontopofthewest, u must have figured a way inside my head and stole my thoughts. I agree with everything you said and had to double take to make sure I was not reading somthing I posted.
Teams with great speed will likely cause this team the most problems but I only see PT on the schedule that has the type speed I am talking about and I see now one in 1A with it
I still get the quivers from gost in the past of the teams that passed against us and just went td after td after touchdown.... I know we have gotten better since but i still worry about the passing d...