Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Miss Playing High School Sports
I would put this in a High School thread, but it can apply to anybody. I played football for around 7 years. The longer I go without playing the more I've miss it. I took it for granted but what teenager doesn't? I dreaded them hot practices and those sprints after practice. Now a days I'd probably give a right nut and some nut hairs to run my ass off in pads. I miss the feeling I got before the game. I miss running my mouth to the guy across from me. I miss that feeling of the first hit of a game. I miss being sweaty as hell in pads after a game finding my girlfriend to get dirty. I miss painting my face in that ridiculous eye black. I miss the feeling of a chin strap. I miss those damn scratches that would rub off my helmet so I could never brag about them. I miss the accomplishments. I miss wearing that jersey in the hallways. I miss that soreness and pain the morning after a game. I miss having eventual State Runner-up Hazard 7-7 at half, then getting blown out the whole second half. I miss beating the number 1 team in the state at their place. Most importantly I miss the days when I was a little boy, and I played my first football game. I was nervous as hell, and hoping someone didn't run my way. With all this football starting back up it makes me reflect on the good days.

Anyone else know the feeling?
HawksRule Wrote:I would put this in a High School thread, but it can apply to anybody. I played football for around 7 years. The longer I go without playing the more I've miss it. I took it for granted but what teenager doesn't? I dreaded them hot practices and those sprints after practice. Now a days I'd probably give a right nut and some nut hairs to run my ass off in pads. I miss the feeling I got before the game. I miss running my mouth to the guy across from me. I miss that feeling of the first hit of a game. I miss being sweaty as hell in pads after a game finding my girlfriend to get her dirty. I miss painting my face in that ridiculous eye black. I miss the feeling of a chin strap. I miss those damn scratches that would rub off my helmet so I could never brag about them. I miss the accomplishments. I miss wearing that jersey in the hallways. I miss that soreness and pain the morning after a game. I miss having eventual State Runner-up Hazard 7-7 at half, then getting blown out the whole second half. I miss beating the number 1 team in the state at their place. Most importantly I miss the days when I was a little boy, and I played my first football game. I was nervous as hell, and hoping someone didn't run my way. With all this football starting back up it makes me reflect on the good days.

Anyone else know the feeling?

lol that sounded wrong I needed to fix it
Sad part is, that feeling will never go away. I've been out of high school for 8 years and I still miss it.
I've replaced that itch by coaching. I feel much more accomplishment and satisfaction now than I ever did playing.
Stardust Wrote:I've replaced that itch by coaching. I feel much more accomplishment and satisfaction now than I ever did playing.

I agree with Stardust. You need to find another competitive outlet. Try coaching, MMA fighting, powerlifting, etc. If you're good at football, try out for an indoor league team like the Drillers. I love football and miss it. I even dream occationally at night that I still play, but I've moved on.
Stardust Wrote:I've replaced that itch by coaching. I feel much more accomplishment and satisfaction now than I ever did playing.
Coaching helps especially with the game planning and the maneuvers during the games
This hit me deep man.lol..No better feeling than running out onto your home field under those lights.
This year will make 18 years since Ive suited up. I miss playing, but more than anything, I miss playing on the road. Playing at home was okay, but playing on the road was where it was for me. I loved playing at Neon on that awful field, and especially when we snapped an 8 year losing streak to them the last regular season game of my Senior year, and talking pure crap to their fans and their student/band section when we put it away..I loved playing at other places more than playing at home. But the old rivalry games, not the watered down thanks to consolidation rivalry games, but the old Elkhorn City game, the Whitesburg game, those are the type of games I miss. There wasnt anything more fun in the world than playing Single A football in the early 90s. Yeah I miss it, and call me an old geezer, but I just dont get the passion and coziness in todays game. Everything is too.......nice? The facilities at most places are just too......nice. Turf field everywhere just sucks. I hate it. I will usually catch two or three football games a year, and it just isnt the same. I go to a few of the Letcher Central games to watch Logan (him and his parents are very close friends of mine), and dont get me wrong, that facility is wonderful, but I prefer the old Dust Bowl a million to one. Another thing Im not a fan of, especially with LCC, is the 74 coaches for the 45 or 50 players. What the hell do they need with all of those coaches? lol..Please dont think Im knocking LCC, because Im not. Im sure its like that everywhere, but I just dont take the time to visit other places. I did, however, go to a couple of Pike Central games last year, and I like what they are doing, and I think Chapman is really building something special over there. Anyways, I grew up hating the Fleming Neon Pirates, but there was no better place on earth to watch a high school football game. Great thread guys. Keep it up, I enjoy reading everybodys thoughts on this as well..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
it sucks. For kids that played sports it's the worse thing about Graduation because when you go to a game to watch your team it sucks horribly sitting there in the stands watching them play.
Strikeout King Wrote:it sucks. For kids that played sports it's the worse thing about Graduation because when you go to a game to watch your team it sucks horribly sitting there in the stands watching them play.

Hits you in you in the gut a little or the head? I always leave games thinking damn I could have done this or done that better.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:This year will make 18 years since Ive suited up. I miss playing, but more than anything, I miss playing on the road. Playing at home was okay, but playing on the road was where it was for me. I loved playing at Neon on that awful field, and especially when we snapped an 8 year losing streak to them the last regular season game of my Senior year, and talking pure crap to their fans and their student/band section when we put it away..I loved playing at other places more than playing at home. But the old rivalry games, not the watered down thanks to consolidation rivalry games, but the old Elkhorn City game, the Whitesburg game, those are the type of games I miss. There wasnt anything more fun in the world than playing Single A football in the early 90s. Yeah I miss it, and call me an old geezer, but I just dont get the passion and coziness in todays game. Everything is too.......nice? The facilities at most places are just too......nice. Turf field everywhere just sucks. I hate it. I will usually catch two or three football games a year, and it just isnt the same. I go to a few of the Letcher Central games to watch Logan (him and his parents are very close friends of mine), and dont get me wrong, that facility is wonderful, but I prefer the old Dust Bowl a million to one. Another thing Im not a fan of, especially with LCC, is the 74 coaches for the 45 or 50 players. What the hell do they need with all of those coaches? lol..Please dont think Im knocking LCC, because Im not. Im sure its like that everywhere, but I just dont take the time to visit other places. I did, however, go to a couple of Pike Central games last year, and I like what they are doing, and I think Chapman is really building something special over there. Anyways, I grew up hating the Fleming Neon Pirates, but there was no better place on earth to watch a high school football game. Great thread guys. Keep it up, I enjoy reading everybodys thoughts on this as well..

Neon was a great place for a football game. The 2001 Class A Region 4 Championship game was AWESOME, the atmosphere that night was UNREAL. It topped any Apple Bowl I played in or attended. The field wasn't the greatest, but I too would rather play there than on any of these turf fields. I'd rather get dirty and come up out of the bottom of a pile with glass in my elbow (that actually happened, lol). I hope Paintsville never gets a turf field.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH