Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justin Verlander walks one in near-perfect no-hitter
TORONTO -- With one out to go, Justin Verlander cracked a smile on the mound.

He could afford to enjoy the moment, he'd seen this before. So had baseball fans -- real recently, in fact.
Verlander threw his second career no-hitter and the second in the big leagues this week, leading the Detroit Tigers to a 9-0 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays on Saturday.
Twice As Nice
Justin Verlander only struck out four in his second career no-hitter Saturday, compared to 12 punchouts in his first no-no in 2007.

"I was a lot more calm today," Verlander said. "Obviously, there's some adrenaline -- you can't help it -- but having been through this situation before, I was definitely able to calm myself down a little bit easier than last time."
Minnesota's Francisco Liriano pitched a no-hitter against the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday night.
Verlander barely missed a perfect game. The only runner he allowed came with one out in the eighth inning when J.P. Arencibia walked on a full count, with Verlander's 12th pitch to the rookie just an inch or two outside
He may be the only 100-plus flamethrower that is a contact pitcher. That makes more scary when he is on.
Verlander's no-no was way better than Liriano's no-no.

However, the Blue Jays were without 2 of their best hitters in this game.

Jose Bautista was out & Adam Lind left the game after 2 at bats.

The rest of the Blue Jays batters shouldn't strike fear in any pitchers.
2nd no-hitter, yes.
Verlander is one of the best in the leauge.