Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tony Franklin System. Buy or sell?? Reasons
I have watched this Franklin System snowball up and the just melt away. Is this system actually worth the 5 grand install or would you be better off doing your own thing.. And can a coach actually clame profits from it, or is it just a front of reading from a card?? Just wondering??:worthy::flush:
Depends on your athletes and what you like best. If you have the personal by all means do it, but when they graduate and you get rocked by graduation be ready to put the bone back in. From what I've seen its a lot of quick game with zone reads. It could be helpful to you as a coach to learn you never know where you'll end up and who with.
Lets just start by saying it isn't for everyone and it requires a ton of coaching jus tlike any other offensive system be it wing t, veer, double wing or whatever.

The 5 grand is not to install the system. They do not come out and install it for you. The 5 grand allows you and your staff including middle school and youth staff to attend as many of the System Clinics as you can get to. It also gets you DVDs of the last years clinic and dvds of this years clinic. You get a thumb drive with all the plays, practice layouts, call sheets, excel wristnamd set up and more. You also get drill tapes and cutups for installation and teaching. You are also given access to a forum where only clients can access and talk about the season, practice, game planning, trouble shooting and more. You can also send/upload game and practice film to get help.

As far as what the System is. It is the Air Raid offense plain and simple. It is the exact same offense they ran at UK when Mumme was there. It is what Leach ran at TT and what Hatcher runs at Murry State. So it is Mesh, Shallow, Y Cross, 4 verts, Shakes, Smash, Pyrimad, Stick, Jailbreack Screens, and your basic quick game. They give suggestions in the running game with inside and outside zone but most clients just come up with their own run game. So one System school might be a zone read team. Another on might be power and counter trey. SOme system schools migh tbe 5 wide almost all the time and others might be 2 RBs, 1 TE.

The System is adaptable like any other offense. You don't need a certain type of player. What you do need is for the kids to buy in and you have to be willing to adapt what you do to fit the kids. Franklin even talks about it or has in the past. He uses an example of a player that only ran 1 or 2 routes real well so they only sent him in to do that.

It is not an easy button. It is not the answer for every place. It does work and works extremely well given time and buy it. Most TFS schools really start to get it about year 3. Some get lucky and hit it in year 1 or 2.
Mountain Coach Wrote:I have watched this Franklin System snowball up and the just melt away. Is this system actually worth the 5 grand install or would you be better off doing your own thing.. And can a coach actually clame profits from it, or is it just a front of reading from a card?? Just wondering??:worthy::flush:

Look at it this way, I don't think any of the coaches in high school today invented the wishbone, w-tee, split back veer or pro I......ect. So can they clame profits......and do coaches read from a card from the other offenses. It is an offense just like the others. You have to learn it and when and how to use it. Athletes determine what you should run. At least to be good you need a pretty good QB.
The biggest benefit is that it gives you some common terminology so that you can talk to other TFS people across the country and you're talking apples to apples. It can be adapted to any style of play. You can run the ball or throw it as much as you want. I've never seen it fail when run properly. The problem is most coaches think they know everything and skip over some of the install and teaching points that are critical to it's success. I think it's definitely worth the money.