Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martha Layne Collins 64 - Shelby County 19 (Max Performance Invitational)
Final
Nasty
It was 40-10 at halftime. MLC's Aaliyah Wells had 31 points in about two quarters of play.
Wells is a beast. MLC will be hard to beat in the 8th.
kygbbfan Wrote:Wells is a beast. MLC will be hard to beat in the 8th.

They'll have a tough time beating Anderson County though. MLC still has some work to do to be one of the top teams in the region, but they have the talent. They have struggled in their last couple of games.
I would like to see them beat a team with a winning record before I would make that statement.
Wow, blowout
Hard to beat?? They were playing Shelby County. Do I need to say more?
WOW, that was a blowout
bhamgirl Wrote:Hard to beat?? They were playing Shelby County. Do I need to say more?

Yeah, Shelby County is just plain awful this year.
Aaliyah Wells came out more aggressive, and the Collins girls’ basketball team came out with a victory.
The sophomore forward scored 31 points to lead the Titans to a 64-19 victory over Shelby County on Thursday afternoon at Mike Casey Gymnasium in the seventh-place game of the Max Performance Girls’ Invitational.
“I’ve been kind of down the last couple of games,” said Wells, who scored just 15 points combined on only 12 shots in Collins’ first two games of the tournament – both losses. “I was just trying to take it to the hole and see the openings.”
Against the Rockets, Wells made15 of 23 from the field and 1 for 1 from the free-throw line. She scored 17 points in the Titans’ 50-20 victory over Shelby County on Dec. 3.
“Most of that came on a lot of good passes from Leeara [Cardwell] and a lot came on layups in transition,” Collins Coach Phillip Conder said.
Collins (6-4) led, 19-4, after the first quarter and 40-10 at halftime as it bounced back from disappointing losses to Danville and Bishop Brossart in its first two games of the tourney.
“We played a lot harder; when we play hard we can be a good team,” Conder said. “Our focus was better than it has been the last few games.”
Cardwell, a junior guard, added eight points for the Titans, who shot 48.3 percent from the field (29-for-60).
Sophomore guard Lynsey Nichols led the Rockets with eight points.
“I don’t think we played very well, but a lot of that was due to Collins,” Shelby County Coach Mike Sowers said. “I know they were upset with how they had played in the tournament.”

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/tita...ls-and-win