Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP All-state and Mr. Football?
For the most part in previous years I have for the majority agreed with most of the selections made to the AP team. This year is a complete JOKE! While some of the kids deserved to make the team it appears by the chunking of areas who were included and excluded that the selections were thrown together with little thought and effort put into this. Hence the selections being about two weeks late, they probably forgot about it or didn’t want to do it at all. If s Sportswriter failed to cast his vote IMO he should be considered negligent by his employer. It's obvious now how political the AP poll is when you have kids making the first team Coaches poll but can't even get an honorable mention by some Sportswriters. I used to rely on the Newspapers for good sports information anymore, but now I believe that 85% of our bloggers and more credible then our sportswriters:devilflam
DDP5 Wrote:For the most part in previous years I have for the majority agreed with most of the selections made to the AP team. This year is a complete JOKE! While some of the kids deserved to make the team it appears by the chunking of areas who were included and excluded that the selections were thrown together with little thought and effort put into this. Hence the selections being about two weeks late, they probably forgot about it or didn’t want to do it at all. If s Sportswriter failed to cast his vote IMO he should be considered negligent by his employer. It's obvious now how political the AP poll is when you have kids making the first team Coaches poll but can't even get an honorable mention by some Sportswriters. I used to rely on the Newspapers for good sports information anymore, but now I believe that 85% of our bloggers and more credible then our sportswriters:devilflam

I agree. I assume that the AP voters from Central KY did not even bother with voting. IMO, Zack West, Zack Templin, and Darrian Miller should have made 1st team OL , but not even HM among the 3. Cameron Thomas of East Jessamine was one of the top backs in KY. Nate Letton and Will Whittman of Lex Cath. Milligan of Boyle Co. Ryan Smith and Jerry Williams of Henry Clay . And I'm sure that there are more that I did'nt mention. All off these kids deserved to have a fair shot of making the AP teams, not be excluded because the sports writers in the central ky area decided not to vote. Congrats to those who did make it as all of you worked hard this season.
If you believe the coaches poll isn't political as well you are one naive puppy. An argument can be made for every kid on the team and I have a very hard time believing that there are any kids at all on the team that do not deserve to be there. There isn't enough room for everyone who had a great year to be on the team. Maybe we should have All State teams for all 6 classes so everyone will have a chance to win. Just like 1 win and 0 win teams can make the playoffs now that we have 6 classes.
RebelPride12 Wrote:If you believe the coaches poll isn't political as well you are one naive puppy. An argument can be made for every kid on the team and I have a very hard time believing that there are any kids at all on the team that do not deserve to be there. There isn't enough room for everyone who had a great year to be on the team. Maybe we should have All State teams for all 6 classes so everyone will have a chance to win. Just like 1 win and 0 win teams can make the playoffs now that we have 6 classes.

I'm not saying anything about politics. Just that If the AP voters in your area don't vote, then more than likely you are not going to get enough votes.
RebelPride12 Wrote:If you believe the coaches poll isn't political as well you are one naive puppy. An argument can be made for every kid on the team and I have a very hard time believing that there are any kids at all on the team that do not deserve to be there. There isn't enough room for everyone who had a great year to be on the team. Maybe we should have All State teams for all 6 classes so everyone will have a chance to win. Just like 1 win and 0 win teams can make the playoffs now that we have 6 classes.

The coaches poll is political as well but every head coach gets a vote that means there are over 100 votes being casted which for the kids that make first team second team and third team have usually acquired enough votes that the politics cancel out it's hard to lobby every coach in the state to vote for your kid it's just not possible. But when you only have 17 it's extremely easy for a couple of sportswriters to get together and control the vote to sell a few more newspapers in that area.

You can make second team AP all-state with as little as 5 votes that will not get you a sniff at the third team coaches poll.
DDP5 Wrote:The coaches poll is political as well but every head coach gets a vote that means there are over 100 votes being casted which for the kids that make first team second team and third team have usually acquired enough votes that the politics cancel out it's hard to lobby every coach in the state to vote for your kid it's just not possible. But when you only have 17 it's extremely easy for a couple of sportswriters to get together and control the vote to sell a few more newspapers in that area.

You can make second team AP all-state with as little as 5 votes that will not get you a sniff at the third team coaches poll.

I think 165 coaches voted this year, and you had to get atleast 5 votes to make the coaches HM. Only 13 AP media voted this year. I'm not sure of the amount of the media that gets to vote, but it is more than 13. If someone knows how many people can vote in the AP could you let us know please.
Just curious if the AP doesnt mean anything why is everybody complaining some much about it?
hawkeye Wrote:Just curious if the AP doesnt mean anything why is everybody complaining some much about it?
I don't think anybody says it doesn't mean anything, i think their questioning it's reliability.
joejoe Wrote:I'm not saying anything about politics. Just that If the AP voters in your area don't vote, then more than likely you are not going to get enough votes.

That's my belief also. My post was a response to DD.
Coachdad Wrote:I don't think anybody says it doesn't mean anything, i think their questioning it's reliability.

Reliability to what? All the kids that made the AP team were deserving. Unless someone can tell me WHY a particular kid shouldn't be on there then I blame the guys who chose not to vote not the ones that did.

Like I said, they need All State teams for all 6 classes so everyone will be happy and goes home a winner.
By no means was my post supporting a 6 class all-state team, my post was directed towards the neglect of the voters. AP voters just like coaches have geographical boundaries in which they can not vote for the student athletes that go to high school within those boundaries. Thus, when only 13 people vote 7 votes put you as a first teamer. When sportswriters from that area don't cast their vote then no one is there to lobby their kids which is why you see geographical holes all the way through honorable mention. I can not recall a single time in the past that this has happened.

I mean good thing Lamar Dawson is being recruited by the number one team in the nation or Central Kentucky, would not have a soul mentioned. I guess it's hard to leave his name off and not catch criticism. Hard for me to believe that only one kid from FAYETTE, BOYLE, DANVILLE, which all saw teams make it to the semi-finals only have one kid that deserves to be mentioned. If you are going to leave out areas don't call it an All-state team.
DDP5 Wrote:By no means was my post supporting a 6 class all-state team, my post was directed towards the neglect of the voters. AP voters just like coaches have geographical boundaries in which they can not vote for the student athletes that go to high school within those boundaries. Thus, when only 13 people vote 7 votes put you as a first teamer. When sportswriters from that area don't cast their vote then no one is there to lobby their kids which is why you see geographical holes all the way through honorable mention. I can not recall a single time in the past that this has happened.

I mean good thing Lamar Dawson is being recruited by the number one team in the nation or Central Kentucky, would not have a soul mentioned. I guess it's hard to leave his name off and not catch criticism. Hard for me to believe that only one kid from FAYETTE, BOYLE, DANVILLE, which all saw teams make it to the semi-finals only have one kid that deserves to be mentioned. If you are going to leave out areas don't call it an All-state team.
I'm not mad even though my boy didn't make it, he made everything else ,you can't make everything all the time '
I don't have a boy playing just a fan of high school football across Kentucky. But I can give it a rest.:igiveup:
How did Hunter James of LC not make allstate as a running back?
doomsday Wrote:How did Hunter James of LC not make allstate as a running back?

Probably because there were a lot of great running backs ahead of him. One could make an even greater case for the Davenport kid from Bell not making it. :Thumbs:
DDP5 Wrote:I don't have a boy playing just a fan of high school football across Kentucky. But I can give it a rest.:igiveup:

Don't be so sensitive, it's a discussion. I actually agreed with post #101.
Cats02 Wrote:Josh Brown Honorable Mention thats a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! much better LB that one or two LB's that is on the first and second team. He should be first team LB. Just played with a kid that had the last right night.

Bell Co had 3 first team and 2 second team and you are fussing about one honorable mention. Several teams had players as good as any listed from Bell Co but they didn't even make honorable mention.
cksportsfan Wrote:As an AP voter you only vote for FOUR running backs. That's it.

And with guys like Wales (Louisville Central), Jude (Johnson Central), Cross (Rowan), Bishop (Trinity), Elliot (Ryle), Bland (Danville), Warr (Manual), Boards (AC-S), McMurry (St. Xavier), etc., Lyle was a longshot to even make honorable mention.

And you only vote for two QB, thus it's tough to even be honorable mention at QB.

Only 10 QBs (1 first team, 1 second team, 8 honorable mention) got enough votes to make honorable mention at least.

There are only eight all-state RBs for the AP.

And for the guy above, making a bunch of PATs doesn't make you a great kicker ... it could just mean you kick for a high-scoring team.

Wallace (Central Hardin) was the second team punter/HM kicker ... and he's a D-I signee to Louisville (one of only two D-I signee kickers from Kentucky this year, IIRC).

How does Belfry's Jeffree Pruitt make it then? He was in no way near as good as Lyle.
It seems that so many times extremely good players that play on a mediocre team are passed by. They do not get the recognition they deserve.