Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stan Van Gundy: What's Phil Jackson thinking?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5846687

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, who faces former employer Miami on Wednesday night, called Phil Jackson "inappropriate" and "ignorant" for hypothesizing that the Heat soon could change coaches if the ultra-talented team doesn't shake its sluggish start.

Jackson drew attention -- and some ire -- after discussing the fallout to the Heat's 8-6 start under coach Erik Spoelstra during an interview Tuesday with ESPN 1000 in Chicago.

Jackson went on to say, "The scenario that sits kind of behind the scene, is that eventually these guys that were recruited -- [Chris] Bosh and [LeBron] James -- by [team president] Pat Riley and Micky Arison, the owner, are going to come in and say, 'We feel you [Riley] can do a better job coaching the team. We came here on the hopes that this would work,' and whatever, I don't know," Jackson said. "That's kind of my take on it, is that eventually if things don't straighten out here soon, it could be the Van Gundy thing all over again."

Jackson's direct analogy to the events that precipitated Van Gundy's departure in Miami during the 2005-06 season particularly irritated the Magic's coach.

"Phil has no idea what the Van Gundy situation was because, even though he coaches in our league, he certainly had no insight or knowledge of that," Van Gundy said Wednesday. "So an analogy he'd make to my situation would be totally useless because he doesn't have any clue what the situation was in that case."
I sware... If Pat Riley takes over the Heat as Coach... Riley is nothing but a glory hound. Didn't he take over for Van Gundy and he took all the credit for the Heat's season? That team was loaded. No wonder why they won. Jackson has won so many games because of the talent he has had. Jordan,Kobe,Shaq etc. If I was the Heat's coach I'd tell Jackson to shut up!
Well who would you rather listen to? Phil Jackson or a coach that several former players have said couldn't coach his way out of a paper sack?
Amun-Ra Wrote:Well who would you rather listen to? Phil Jackson or a coach that several former players have said couldn't coach his way out of a paper sack?

It's none of Jackson's buisness to talk about the Heat's Coach. Last time I checked he coached the Lakers.
RadioVeteran Wrote:It's none of Jackson's buisness to talk about the Heat's Coach. Last time I checked he coached the Lakers.
Last time I checked he has 11 championships and prolly another one the way so if he has some advice on coaching situtations in the NBA I would listen.
That goes back to what I said earlier.He has won because of talent on teams. Let him Coach the Clippers and we will see how great he is.
i think Stan needs to worry about his own team instead of worrying about others and it also sounds to me like he wants the Heat's job
Amun-Ra Wrote:Last time I checked he has 11 championships and prolly another one the way so if he has some advice on coaching situtations in the NBA I would listen.

He has only had the best center of the decade. The best to guards ever.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:He has only had the best center of the decade. The best to guards ever.

Amen brother. :Thumbs: It does not take a whole lot of ability to coach the greatest assemblies of all-time. Anybody could have rings on their fingers if you had the chance to coach the guys he has coached.
Stardust Wrote:Amen brother. :Thumbs: It does not take a whole lot of ability to coach the greatest assemblies of all-time. Anybody could have rings on their fingers if you had the chance to coach the guys he has coached.

Its amazing the squads that Jackson has had put together for him. And when he lost shaq he knew his team would be trash and decided to take the year off lol.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Its amazing the squads that Jackson has had put together for him. And when he lost shaq he knew his team would be trash and decided to take the year off lol.

:Thumbs: MJ retired, the Bulls management refused to put money into the player that needed to lead Pippen, and Phil needed a break from coaching to "find himself". Find himself a new set of superstars was more like it!!!
Phil Jackson is arguably the best coach of all-time so everyone can lay off with the teams he's had handed to him.
You have to win games and if you even know anything about basketball you can tell that Phil has outcoached other teams on countless occasions in the playoffs.

BACK TO THE THREAD

Stan is just sore because Spoelstra is about to suffer the same exact fate that he did.
And as for Riley being a glory hog....
If I was the president and knew that my team is suffering because of the coaching, and I'm one of the greatest coaches ever.....
I say I take it into my own hands.
zaga_fan Wrote:Phil Jackson is arguably the best coach of all-time so everyone can lay off with the teams he's had handed to him.
You have to win games and if you even know anything about basketball you can tell that Phil has outcoached other teams on countless occasions in the playoffs.

BACK TO THE THREAD

Stan is just sore because Spoelstra is about to suffer the same exact fate that he did.
And as for Riley being a glory hog....
If I was the president and knew that my team is suffering because of the coaching, and I'm one of the greatest coaches ever.....
I say I take it into my own hands.

This team isnt struggling because of the coaching. this team is struggling because they went and got 3 superstars and expected them to win games all by them selves. You dont have a big man, you dont have a pure shooter. You dont have that one lock down defender that thrives on nothing else but defense. This team needs more than these glory hogs.
IMO Phil was just saying this to get in into the heads on the entire Heat organization. He's been known to do stuff like this. Funny thing is he's probably right. We all know Pat is going to take over some time this season because Spoelstra isn't getting the job done.
BTW, Phil Jackson is the greatest coach in professional sports history without a doubt. He's had talent but what coach hasn't had talent who's won a championship.
Spoelstra has tons of talent to coach and his team has a 8-7 record.
Kobe's innocent..that is all.
Aslan Wrote:IMO Phil was just saying this to get in into the heads on the entire Heat organization. He's been known to do stuff like this. Funny thing is he's probably right. We all know Pat is going to take over some time this season because Spoelstra isn't getting the job done.
BTW, Phil Jackson is the greatest coach in professional sports history without a doubt. He's had talent but what coach hasn't had talent who's won a championship.
Spoelstra has tons of talent to coach and his team has a 8-7 record.
Kobe's innocent..that is all.

Amen Aslan. I think your my hero haha. You beat me to things like this all the time.