Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Playoff System
Can anyone please explain how it works?
Aslan and I were talking on the way back from the Clay/Perry game and it seems kind of sketchy.
I always thought you played someone from another District, but in 08 Perry played Clay at home in the first round.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
I'm not sure how it works but in 2006 Southwestern played Pulaski County in Back to back weeks. In which they won both games might I add! :biggrin:
The one seed plays the four seed from the other district.
2 seed plays 3 seed. and so on and so on.
but did you figure out how they seed a 3-way tie?
Yeah....I was lost on the 3-way tie too lol.
Is it based on your opponents win-loss records?
or your win-loss record in non-district play?
Commodore_Colonel Wrote:The one seed plays the four seed from the other district.
2 seed plays 3 seed. and so on and so on.
but did you figure out how they seed a 3-way tie?

But how was it possible for Perry to play Clay in 08.
They are in the same district.
Was that different district alignments?
Commodore_Colonel Wrote:Was that different district alignments?

I wouldn't think so.
We had to play them earlier in the year.
but I guess it is possible.
zaga_fan Wrote:But how was it possible for Perry to play Clay in 08.
They are in the same district.

For a few seasons (2006-2008), the powers-that-be decided it would be a good idea for district opponents to play each other in the first two rounds of the playoffs. The 1-seed would host their own district's 4-seed and the 2-seed would host the district 3-seed.

Since then, however, sanity and common sense have temporarily returned, and opposite-district matchups comprise the first round.
Gitback Coach Wrote:For a few seasons (2006-2008), the powers-that-be decided it would be a good idea for district opponents to play each other in the first two rounds of the playoffs. The 1-seed would host their own district's 4-seed and the 2-seed would host the district 3-seed.

Since then, however, sanity and common sense have temporarily returned, and opposite-district matchups comprise the first round.

Thanks coach!
That clears that up.
Now for the 3-way tie situation.
We had one last year in District 8-5A but sadly PCC was 4th and I could've cared less after we collapsed late in the season so I don't remember lol
Captain Backdoor Wrote:I'm not sure how it works but in 2006 Southwestern played Pulaski County in Back to back weeks. In which they won both games might I add! :biggrin:
Yep, the last time SW has beaten Pulaski. :rockon::Clap:
zaga_fan Wrote:Thanks coach!
That clears that up.
Now for the 3-way tie situation.
We had one last year in District 8-5A but sadly PCC was 4th and I could've cared less after we collapsed late in the season so I don't remember lol

Well lets see, last year:
Letcher was 4-1 nondistrict
Harlan was 3-2 nondistrict
Whitley was 2-3 nondistrict

Those were your teams that were tied and those were also the seeds orders. Whitley played Lex Cath, Bell, Belfry so i'd say if it went by nondistrict SOS, Whitley would've been 1 seed.
Commodore_Colonel Wrote:Well lets see, last year:

Those were your teams that were tied and those were also the seeds orders. Whitley played Lex Cath, Bell, Belfry so i'd say if it went by nondistrict SOS, Whitley would've been 1 seed.

That's just 3 out of 5 games though Colonel Wink
I WANT INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE lol
zaga_fan Wrote:That's just 3 out of 5 games though Colonel Wink
I WANT INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE lol

You'll have to wait. I'm watching Smallville!
Commodore_Colonel Wrote:You'll have to wait. I'm watching Smallville!

lol
Commodore_Colonel Wrote:Well lets see, last year:

That is not how you decide the 3 way tie breaker.

It goes by your opponents.

HC adds the wins of all the teams they have beaten during the season.
PCC adds the wins of all the teams they have beaten during the season.
CC adds the wins of all the teams they have beaten during the season.

For example, HC will be able to add 9 wins if they beat Bell County, however, they cannot add Pulaski County's wins because they did not beat them.

With the loss to CC last week for PCC, it guarantees them no better than 2nd because of the win/loss record of opponents. Unless HC or CC gets upset by the last district team they play.
3wishes Wrote:That is not how you decide the 3 way tie breaker.

For example, HC will be able to add 9 wins if they beat Bell County, however, they cannot add Pulaski County's wins because they did not beat them.

With the loss to CC last week for PCC, it guarantees them no better than 2nd because of the win/loss record of opponents. Unless HC or CC gets upset by the last district team they play.

Thank you.

Taylor, Somerset, and Wayne County had a three way tie a couple years back and it was handled that way.:Thumbs:
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Only difference to what 3wishes posted is they can only count the wins of 4 teams they have beaten during the season, not all their wins. And also they can't count wins against the other two teams that they are tied with.

Thanks!
Boyle looks tough.....quick QB

:Thumbs:
The three way tiebeaker in 5A D8 should be very good for PCC with all of there nondistrict wins. Although it may not add up to much, its still a very good point score for PCC, If Clay would have beaten Knox, it would have helped them considerably, this is what makes nondistrict games so important as well....

Although, and 3wishes can correct me if im wrong, but i believe district opponents wins do not matter. Doesnt it go soley by non district opponents wins that you have beaten. I dont believe the district games you have won counts in the tie breaker does it?
You can count district wins, just not district wins against the other 2 teams you are tied with.

You get to count a total of FOUR (4) wins, whether it is district or non district or whatever.

Problem with counting district wins, the other teams you are tied with probably beat the same district teams you did, and would get the same points for them.

So you are better off if you have at least 4 non district wins, and the teams you beat have decent records because you get one point for each of their wins.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:You can count district wins, just not district wins against the other 2 teams you are tied with.

You get to count a total of FOUR (4) wins, whether it is district or non district or whatever.

Problem with counting district wins, the other teams you are tied with probably beat the same district teams you did, and would get the same points for them.

So you are better off if you have at least 4 non district wins, and the teams you beat have decent records because you get one point for each of their wins.

It is confusing to figure out the tiebreaker process, but once you do figure it out it comes pretty naturally to decide whos going to win.
Another thing that makes this extremely difficult to keep up with is the district teams that play out of state teams, for example Harlan has played two out of state teams, can you use out of state teams on your tiebreaker points?
I for one would like for them to go back to the old system of the top 2 teams in each district make the playoffs instead of what they have now. The system now is totally idiotic in the fact that some districts only have 4 teams and one team can go 0-10 and still make the playoffs. That to me is just seems ridiculous to me.
DEVIL89 Wrote:I for one would like for them to go back to the old system of the top 2 teams in each district make the playoffs instead of what they have now. The system now is totally idiotic in the fact that some districts only have 4 teams and one team can go 0-10 and still make the playoffs. That to me is just seems ridiculous to me.

True, but it would shorten the playoffs way down, i say just make every district to where it has atleast five teams in it.
Thanks for clearly everything up guys, I really appreciate it!
I think that the current playoff system is a joke. I have a better way. Under the proposed new alignment every football team in Kentucky will make the playoffs except for 26 teams. Here is my solution. Let's add an extra class so everyone can get in. It is unfair for the 26 teams that won't get in.

Seriously I think that a playoff berth should be earned not given. A team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs with a losing record. I wish that the KHSAA would go back to the old system by allowing the top two teams in each district in, but that's not going to happen. So I would settle for allowing three teams in each district in. Let the number one seed get a first round bye and the two and three seeds play.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Another thing that makes this extremely difficult to keep up with is the district teams that play out of state teams, for example Harlan has played two out of state teams, can you use out of state teams on your tiebreaker points?

Yes, you can use out of state wins.