Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 34 Matewan, WV 28 (OT)
Blackcats2954 Wrote:I haven't posted on here for a long time, but I feel I must. It's amazing to me how people get on here and rip the officials and they have no clue what the rules are. I recently ask some coaches from one of the schools in this region if they knew there was no such thing as 12 men in the huddle. They did not know that. People watch games on Saturday and Sunday and think they know High School rules. It's a free society that we live in so you are able to get on here and say what you want. The truth is 99% of the people that post on here have no idea what the rules are. The pass interfernce call you refer to was a very close call. It was a judgement call that has to be made in a split second. While all the fans in the stands get to watch only the ball, the officals don't have the luxury. They each have responsibilities on each play according to the formation and play. The horse collar call was only put in as a rule a few years ago. Again, most of you have no idea what is takes for a horse collar to be called. Obvisouly it's not going to change your opinion, but I know the officials do the best they can. There are five sets of eyes trying to watch twenty-two players. Do they not see some things. Obsolutely. While there are 4 or 5 hundred sets of eyes in the stands who some how see everything. The best thing for you to do is get your license and try it. Maybe then you won't be on here running your mouth.:blabbermo

You telling me that you don't yell at the officials? Wink
Blackcats2954 Wrote:I haven't posted on here for a long time, but I feel I must. It's amazing to me how people get on here and rip the officials and they have no clue what the rules are. I recently ask some coaches from one of the schools in this region if they knew there was no such thing as 12 men in the huddle. They did not know that. People watch games on Saturday and Sunday and think they know High School rules. It's a free society that we live in so you are able to get on here and say what you want. The truth is 99% of the people that post on here have no idea what the rules are. The pass interfernce call you refer to was a very close call. It was a judgement call that has to be made in a split second. While all the fans in the stands get to watch only the ball, the officals don't have the luxury. They each have responsibilities on each play according to the formation and play. The horse collar call was only put in as a rule a few years ago. Again, most of you have no idea what is takes for a horse collar to be called. Obvisouly it's not going to change your opinion, but I know the officials do the best they can. There are five sets of eyes trying to watch twenty-two players. Do they not see some things. Obsolutely. While there are 4 or 5 hundred sets of eyes in the stands who some how see everything. The best thing for you to do is get your license and try it. Maybe then you won't be on here running your mouth.:blabbermo

Point taken. However, when 1 crew CONSISTENTLY has such a large discrepancy in penalties called, is it not within our rights to question "Why"?

Any individual offical or crew can have an off game, and missed calls are to be expected. How do you define a "missed call", and it must be more concrete than simply which team you are rooting for. Any time an official throws a flag, half the fans will applaud, and half will boo. That's just how it is. However, when you have such a large discrepancy in the number of flags thrown against 1 team by 1 certain crew, well, there is more to it than "Well, they just missed that one".

I -hope- that sermon wasn't for my benefit. Confusedhh:

The substitution infraction called was because the player being replaced did not leave "promptly" once his replacement came in. In fact, the 12th player only started leaving the field when the offense began lining up. The call has nothing to do with the number of players in the huddle.

The interference call was a close one, true (as are most judgement calls). But I have to believe the officials had it right because TWO of them flagged it simultaneously.

Heck, I wasn't criticizing the officiating to begin with. :popcorn:
good game,
matewan forever Wrote:ok I've heard about all of this I can stand. First of all, I don't understand why you guys have been on here hating on Matewan. No one from Matewan has been on here talking smack. Matewan gave Prestonsburg all they wanted and then some. Are we proud of our boys? You better believe it! Everyone expected Prestonsurg to kill Matewan, but it didn't happen. I'm not even gonna talk about the refs 'cause Prestonsburg knows Matewan got some real bad calls. And as far as Matewan thinking they could beat Belfry, well, I never heard anyone from Matewan say that. You must be the one thinking about it! Good luck to Prestonsburg the rest of the season.

lol man, I'm pretty sure he was kidding. Pike Central had alot of hype coming into this season, and before the season even started it was nothing but Central fans on here talking about how bad they were going to beat Belfry. Chill. :Thumbs:
The biggest things P-burg needs to take from this game are:

1. Keep the timing tight on the jet QB to wing exchange.

2. Know if the opposing defense uses inside blitzes and DROP the jet playfakes if they do. (remember...blitzers will KNOW when the ball will snap if the wing comes in motion...maybe use a few long counts while letting the wing pass by the QB)

Matewan's defense illustrated vividly what happens during each when inside LB's blitz - the play doesn't get out of the backfield. The QB -must- read the blitz to check out of any play with playfakes and be on-the-mark with his snap timing/ball handling on the straight give !!

OTOH, when the Blackcats ran the jet properly (in a bang-bang fashion), it beat the inside pressure for excellent yardage. It's the play which scored in OT.
oneijoe Wrote:The biggest things P-burg needs to take from this game are:

1. Keep the timing tight on the jet QB to wing exchange.

2. Know if the opposing defense uses inside blitzes and DROP the jet playfakes if they do. (remember...blitzers will KNOW when the ball will snap if the wing comes in motion...maybe use a few long counts while letting the wing pass by the QB)

Matewan's defense illustrated vividly what happens during each when inside LB's blitz - the play doesn't get out of the backfield. The QB -must- read the blitz to check out of any play with playfakes and be on-the-mark with his snap timing/ball handling on the straight give !!

OTOH, when the Blackcats ran the jet properly (in a bang-bang fashion), it beat the inside pressure for excellent yardage. It's the play which scored in OT.

I'm torn on the jet sweep, because I'll criticize it one play and applaud it the next, but it's so easy to read for the LBs. Sheldon Clark & Matewan defended the sweep very well, but once SC got tired, we ran it successfully. Matewan didn't get tired, but it seemed as if our line and lead blockers decided to start playing once they realized we had a shot. JMO

I still don't believe we're playing up to our potential. This team shows signs of greatness, but then they show signs of just looking immature as most of them are physically.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'm torn on the jet sweep, because I'll criticize it one play and applaud it the next, but it's so easy to read for the LBs. Sheldon Clark & Matewan defended the sweep very well, but once SC got tired, we ran it successfully. Matewan didn't get tired, but it seemed as if our line and lead blockers decided to start playing once they realized we had a shot. JMO

I still don't believe we're playing up to our potential. This team shows signs of greatness, but then they show signs of just looking immature as most of them are physically.

Save it for Belfry every year.... the Pirates couldn't stop the jet sweep if their life depended on it.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'm torn on the jet sweep, because I'll criticize it one play and applaud it the next, but it's so easy to read for the LBs. Sheldon Clark & Matewan defended the sweep very well, but once SC got tired, we ran it successfully. Matewan didn't get tired, but it seemed as if our line and lead blockers decided to start playing once they realized we had a shot. JMO

Great point about potential. There is PLENTY of untapped potential in this team. However, they are very capable of coming out and laying a big ole' fat egg (see Breathitt County...).

Crisp is beginning to look off receivers now, and even though Jamerson is still the favorite target (and rightfully so), going through his progressions will make the passing game click even more.

Grant Anderson, even though just a freshman, is a stud. He is purely and simply a playmaker. He makes good things happen when he is on the field, and he probably plays faster and harder outside of anyone not a senior. He MUST get more clock and touches.

Getting Alex Griffith back healthy will be a big plus. Not having him for the Matewan game was a huge blow, and even though he may not make it back until after the bye week, his senior presence and experience makes a difference.

Which brings me to an interesting thought, and we may need to make this into a different thread: Prestonsburg has been remarkably injury free for several years now, except for the occasional freak accident, (Griffith's knee, Bobby Hughes's knee a couple of years ago, Zack Key's knee last year). I can attribute it definitely to conditioning and weight training, but I think it is more in the STYLE of weight training Prestonsburg does than anything else. Prestonsburg's weight training is not geared to produce big, thick, hulking brutes, although genetics sometimes produces that. Their weight program is geared more towards athleticism, quickness, and longer, leaner type muscle growth. They seem to gear their training more towards more fast-twitch muscle exercises than just seeing who can bench press the most. While they don't seem to win any lifting competitions, they do seem to be very athletic year in and year out, and seem to avoid alot of nagging injuries that other programs deal with. Is this just my imagination, or does anyone else agree with this?
I didnt expect this game to be this close. Congrats Pburg on the hard fought win
Congrats Blackcats!! Sounds like it was a GREAT come from behind win!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
cat86 Wrote:Great point about potential. There is PLENTY of untapped potential in this team. However, they are very capable of coming out and laying a big ole' fat egg (see Breathitt County...).

Crisp is beginning to look off receivers now, and even though Jamerson is still the favorite target (and rightfully so), going through his progressions will make the passing game click even more.

Grant Anderson, even though just a freshman, is a stud. He is purely and simply a playmaker. He makes good things happen when he is on the field, and he probably plays faster and harder outside of anyone not a senior. He MUST get more clock and touches.

Getting Alex Griffith back healthy will be a big plus. Not having him for the Matewan game was a huge blow, and even though he may not make it back until after the bye week, his senior presence and experience makes a difference.

Which brings me to an interesting thought, and we may need to make this into a different thread: Prestonsburg has been remarkably injury free for several years now, except for the occasional freak accident, (Griffith's knee, Bobby Hughes's knee a couple of years ago, Zack Key's knee last year). I can attribute it definitely to conditioning and weight training, but I think it is more in the STYLE of weight training Prestonsburg does than anything else. Prestonsburg's weight training is not geared to produce big, thick, hulking brutes, although genetics sometimes produces that. Their weight program is geared more towards athleticism, quickness, and longer, leaner type muscle growth. They seem to gear their training more towards more fast-twitch muscle exercises than just seeing who can bench press the most. While they don't seem to win any lifting competitions, they do seem to be very athletic year in and year out, and seem to avoid alot of nagging injuries that other programs deal with. Is this just my imagination, or does anyone else agree with this?

Adam Crisp is making progressions each week. He has a nice zip on his pass and he has pretty good foot-work also. IMO, he does stare his receivers down a lot, which is something Burchett did early in his career. I think he can overcome this and learn to check down after looking at his favorite target, like a Jamerson or Williams. I've noticed that he's thrown into double-coverage a lot this season and sometimes our receivers come down with it, but at the same time he's left Nathan Slone & Alex Griffith wide open. I'm sure coach John has plays drawled up for certain receivers and that ends up making Crisp look like the bad person when a play doesn't go our way to some of our fans.

I defiantly agree with you about Griffith. As I said in OP that he was missed in this game. I also agree with you that Grant Anderson is a stud. He makes plays and shocked just about everyone (that I was sitting with anyhow, including myself) when he took that bubble screen to the house against Sheldon Clark. I'm very excited about next year with these players, because we bring back 80% of our offense.

I agree with you about our weight training program also. Seems to make a lot of these boys just mentally tougher and improve their athleticism.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Save it for Belfry every year.... the Pirates couldn't stop the jet sweep if their life depended on it.

:popcorn:

Maybe Belfry should consider something other than 5-2 variants vs. P-burg. That's really the culprit. Containment and pursuit to the seam off the edge is more difficult from the DE position than the OLB spot.

From the games I've watched, Anderson is the only Blackcat ball carrier with good ability to change direction. Everyone else seems to be slowing in too many baby steps before making his cut on the outside. I don't know if everyone's running too erect, or if the field's footing doesn't allow heavier players to get purchase (Anderson is smallish).

Also... when a running lane doesn't develop outside, the RB should simply bull forward for a yard or two, but never stop or back up.