Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is best coach in the state in pressure situations?
Which coach do u think would be the best coach in clutch situation with the time running out, what coach would u want calling the play? I would have to go with my old coach he was a danddy at last second calls. We won a few State titles on his last second calls.:1:
Bigblue#4 Wrote:Which coach do u think would be the best coach in clutch situation with the time running out, what coach would u want calling the play? I would have to go with my old coach he was a danddy at last second calls. We won a few State titles on his last second calls.:1:

Who was your old coach?
Bigblue#4 Wrote:Which coach do u think would be the best coach in clutch situation with the time running out, what coach would u want calling the play? I would have to go with my old coach he was a danddy at last second calls. We won a few State titles on his last second calls.:1:

Who is this coach you speak of?

After last season I'll have to say Larry French. He called the right plays in order to win against Bell County and Lone Oak in the final seconds. On top of that they were the two most important key games of the season.
Hard to argue with Coach French,Dudleys pretty good also.I remember the departed Chuke Williams also pulling some games out of thin air with the old hook & ladder.:Thumbs:
Holcomb of Breathitt
BoyleCounty Wrote:Who is this coach you speak of?

After last season I'll have to say Larry French. He called the right plays in order to win against Bell County and Lone Oak in the final seconds. On top of that they were the two most important key games of the season.

Chris Mason Boyle's offensive coordinator made those calls.
Quote:Which coach do u think would be the best coach in clutch situation with the time running out, what coach would u want calling the play? I would have to go with my old coach he was a danddy at last second calls. We won a few State titles on his last second calls.

Tom Larkey- Harlan County Blackbears.
Chuke Williams.
To be honest, Chris Pardue was one of the best "play callers" I've ever seen. When he was the OC for Chuck Smith he did a great job of calling the right plays at the right time and turned many games with them.

He destroyed teams (Rockastle in '01 comes to mind) with calls and he won big games (Paducah Tighlman in '03). He kept defenses guessing many, many times in close games and blowout games. :Thumbs:
Coach Phillip Haywood-BELFRY PIRATES
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Chuke Williams.

Man he was a good one. ( I know this is off the topic a little bit but is he still living, someone told me that he died)
padd4pirate Wrote:Coach Phillip Haywood-BELFRY PIRATES
Great coach and I would say he was up there but man I saw him make a terrible call 08 against Breathitt. He was moving the ball on the bobcats with an option attack and they were about score I think late in the 4th maybe under 2:00 and he tried to throw a vertical to TE and it got pick off. If would of just kept on the ground he would of scored. But that just one play even greats make mistake and sure he's called a hundred sucessful plays in that situation in his time but that one just sticks out to me.
Bigblue#4 Wrote:Great coach and I would say he was up there but man I saw him make a terrible call 08 against Breathitt. He was moving the ball on the bobcats with an option attack and they were about score I think late in the 4th maybe under 2:00 and he tried to throw a vertical to TE and it got pick off. If would of just kept on the ground he would of scored. But that just one play even greats make mistake and sure he's called a hundred sucessful plays in that situation in his time but that one just sticks out to me.

Actually, what happened from what I'm told on that play is they had ran it once or twice before and both times Ivan Lee had been wide open in the end zone and one of the coaches (I don't know if it was Coach Haywood or what) told Andrew Elkins to throw the pass to Ivan. When the play was ran, Shawn Dotson was WIDE open five yards from the end zone but Andrew threw it to Ivan, picked.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Actually, what happened from what I'm told on that play is they had ran it once or twice before and both times Ivan Lee had been wide open in the end zone and one of the coaches (I don't know if it was Coach Haywood or what) told Andrew Elkins to throw the pass to Ivan. When the play was ran, Shawn Dotson was WIDE open five yards from the end zone but Andrew threw it to Ivan, picked.

I remember that, Dotson kid was wide open. I seen the play developing and I thought he was going to throw it to the kid that was wide open, I remember saying no no no and then he threw it to LEE and Fugate intercept and that won the game. But I still say he should stay with the ground what Belfry does best.
Holcomb.:1:
i agree with you
Ricky Bobby Wrote:Hard to argue with Coach French,Dudleys pretty good also.I remember the departed Chuke Williams also pulling some games out of thin air with the old hook & ladder.:Thumbs:
I was a Sr the year of the hook and latterell. The game was over if Flemming takes a knee in the Regional Semis. Instead of taking a knee they ran it and we threw Jr Marshall out of bounds to stop the clock around the 50. That made if 4th down and on the punt we sent 11. The kicker kicked it into the upback and we got the ball with 9 secs at midfield. The play never ever one single time worked in practice. Coach Goldsmith and Chuke talked. The play came in half the people didn't know what it was lol. We told the QB to throw it to Jason Wells on a hitch. Lee Abshire took the pitch 50 yds for the TD to win the Regional Semis. Lee is probably the most underrated player in LC history and arguably the best to ever play there.
Unfortunatly Chuke passed away last fall after a battle with cancer. We were able to bring him out a couple of weeks before he died to the first home game. He was inducted that night into the LC hall of fame with lots of old players around him. All the people in the hall have their jersey's in a shadowbox. Chuke....his flip flops are in his shadowbox. Pretty cool! Coach Goldsmith won his first ever state championship at Boyle last year with his son scoring the final play in 2OT it was his 5th of the game!
Bigblue#4 Wrote:Man he was a good one. ( I know this is off the topic a little bit but is he still living, someone told me that he died)

No unfortunately he has left us.
Eddy Creek Bay Wrote:Chris Mason Boyle's offensive coordinator made those calls.

Wow. In that case. Let's rename this topic to, "Who is the best offensive coordinator in the state in pressure situations?". We all know who makes the call but the head coach gets the credit. If the head coach did not like the play he would change it. Luckily, these head coaches have faith in the offensive coordinators that they have hired. Dudley Hilton and Larry French come to mind.
Bell Co and Boyle Co head coaches gets my call.

Last year Boyle Co and 2008 Bell Co.

2008 State Semi and State Championship games were won by 2 and 3 points by Bell Co.
BoyleCounty Wrote:Wow. In that case. Let's rename this topic to, "Who is the best offensive coordinator in the state in pressure situations?". We all know who makes the call but the head coach gets the credit. If the head coach did not like the play he would change it. Luckily, these head coaches have faith in the offensive coordinators that they have hired. Dudley Hilton and Larry French come to mind.

I'm sure I can be corrected (:biggrinSmile but I don't think Chuck Smith interfered with Pardue's play calling if memory serves.
Dudley Hilton is his own offensive coordinator. He calls every play.He does not have someone else do it .
maybe rename this thread, like all the others, who is the best coach in mountains in pressure situations. Just a thought to make the thread reflect the posts
I don't care if it is the mountains, valleys or on the water front; Phillip Haywood is just what has been described.
Hatz Wrote:I'm sure I can be corrected (:biggrinSmile but I don't think Chuck Smith interfered with Pardue's play calling if memory serves.

You wouldn't say. :Thumbs:
padd4pirate Wrote:Coach Phillip Haywood-BELFRY PIRATES

I hate to say it but I gotta agree with this one.
id have to say coach Shawn Hager (SCHS)
cardinal_player Wrote:id have to say coach Shawn Hager (SCHS)

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Wow, obviously a Cards fan. Be real here, the Cards haven't won a legit game (state championship) and he is very young. Definitely doesn't have the experience that the others mentioned do.