Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Season Rankings
Ram Fan04 Wrote:How many graduated from Mayfield last season?

I'm no Mayfield expert (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :biggrinSmile but most Cardinal fans I thought were pointing to this season 2 years ago. If my memory is right they should be a contender.
Hatz Wrote:I'm no Mayfield expert (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :biggrinSmile but most Cardinal fans I thought were pointing to this season 2 years ago. If my memory is right they should be a contender.

Mayfield basically lost 2 players (which were their best 2--Shelton and Murrell).

They have the following coming back:
Entire O-Line
QB (already a 3 year starter)
2 of the 3 starting running backs
All of their receiving corps

Mayfield is easily the team to beat in A.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:Mayfield basically lost 2 players (which were their best 2--Shelton and Murrell).

They have the following coming back:
Entire O-Line
QB (already a 3 year starter)
2 of the 3 starting running backs
All of their receiving corps

Mayfield is easily the team to beat in A.

Actually, we also lost the great big Jones kid off of the line but the rest of the line returns. The 3 we lost will be hard to replace but they are going to be a very hard out. The star should be sophmore Jackson at LB and at running back. The qb is really good and will have 2 returning WR's that had big seasons last year and most importantly the line is expected to be very very good. There are a couple of backs that should be better than average to go along with Jackson. The loss of Shelton hurt in the blinding speed department but still a very fast team. I think they would have to be a favorite in the early polls to win it all.
Sounds like Mayfield is this year's version of LCA.. I believe we'll be seeing them in the State Title game.. Has Beechwood improved from last season?
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Sounds like Mayfield is this year's version of LCA.. I believe we'll be seeing them in the State Title game.. Has Beechwood improved from last season?

I agree with Mayfield probably being this years LCA. But Raceland will more than likely have to go threw hazard to get to Mayfield.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Sounds like Mayfield is this year's version of LCA.. I believe we'll be seeing them in the State Title game.. Has Beechwood improved from last season?

First off, Mayfield will be like ... MAYFIELD.
LCA has won a grand total of ONE state championship.
Mayfield is a historic power.

Beechwood ..... hmmmmm ..... they will be average.

I would love to see a Mayfield vs. Beechwood game in the first week of December ... in sunny Fort Mitchell. If things pan out right---it would be the A game of the year.
bac2369 Wrote:I agree with Mayfield probably being this years LCA. But Raceland will more than likely have to go threw hazard to get to Mayfield.
I didn't mean Raceland would be in the title game with you.. Raceland has to go through LCA first.. Never been able to get past them in the regional title game..
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:First off, Mayfield will be like ... MAYFIELD.
LCA has won a grand total of ONE state championship.
Mayfield is a historic power.

Beechwood ..... hmmmmm ..... they will be average.

I would love to see a Mayfield vs. Beechwood game in the first week of December ... in sunny Fort Mitchell. If things pan out right---it would be the A game of the year.

I meant from a talent point of view. Alot like the LCA team that made a good run in the playoffs their Junior season then came back the following season and won the Title..:Thumbs:
Ram Fan04 Wrote:I didn't mean Raceland would be in the title game with you.. Raceland has to go through LCA first.. Never been able to get past them in the regional title game..

I meant from a talent point of view. Alot like the LCA team that made a good run in the playoffs their Junior season then came back the following season and won the Title..:Thumbs:

Fair enough .. no hard feelings.

Truth be told .. I am not a big fan of LCA ....

After everything that has went on there the past few years (from the recruiting violations, to the poor behavior of their coaching staff, to the coach getting axed) ... I feel like they don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the Beechwoods/Mayfields of Class A.

Consistency-wise .. teams like Hazard have been just as good as LCA lately (they may not have won a championship--but they have put some good teams on the field--as has Raceland).

I have watched LCA run up the score when they were up 42-0 at halftime .. and at the same time--I have watched Beechwood go up 21 to 0 at the end of the first quarter and sub in their entire 2nd team. The lack of class is starting to catch up to LCA ... and I think the other teams deserve more respect than a renegade, outlaw program.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:Fair enough .. no hard feelings.

Truth be told .. I am not a big fan of LCA ....

After everything that has went on there the past few years (from the recruiting violations, to the poor behavior of their coaching staff, to the coach getting axed) ... I feel like they don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the Beechwoods/Mayfields of Class A.

Consistency-wise .. teams like Hazard have been just as good as LCA lately (they may not have won a championship--but they have put some good teams on the field--as has Raceland).

I have watched LCA run up the score when they were up 42-0 at halftime .. and at the same time--I have watched Beechwood go up 21 to 0 at the end of the first quarter and sub in their entire 2nd team. The lack of class is starting to catch up to LCA ... and I think the other teams deserve more respect than a renegade, outlaw program.

I won't argue with that one. I can't stand them either.. I will say they have some pretty good fans that I've spoke too. But ever since they ran the score up to like 75 against Raceland in 04 I lost all respect for them.. I hope their program falls on it's face! And their violations and such just tick me off.. I don't see how it's even a fair playing field but that's a conversation for another day.. I never did get the details about what happened with the coach and such. I try asking around. And everyone just acts like it's some kind of secret and they can't tell.
Look for Fairview to sneak up on LCA and possibly take that district.
LClion4life Wrote:Look for Fairview to sneak up on LCA and possibly take that district.

This is the 3rd year in a row I've heard that.. But we'll see.
[quote=Ram Fan04]I didn't mean Raceland would be in the title game with you.. Raceland has to go through LCA first.. Never been able to get past them in the regional title game..

Well i believe this will be the year they do it. Raceland will win both games this season against LCA. I think Raceland returns more talent this year compared to LCA. I hope to see a Hazard and Raceland game. But also Hazard has to get through their side of the bracket before that happens. Line will be a key for hazard this year.
Simon Kenton lost their entire offensive line, half their D-line, an all state running Rb in Miles Simpson, and several other key players. No way they're pre-season top 5.

If any NKY 6a team is top 5, it's Ryle. They are absolutely LOADED this year. Don't be surprised if they end Highlands' current winning streak against nky opponents.
Outside of St. X & Trinity, 6A could go a lot of different ways, like it did last season.

A lot of good teams in 6A, but IMO outside of St. X/Trinity, you could take about 10 teams in 6A and have a better shot at drawing those teams out of a hat than coming up with a more accurate prediction of their pre-season ranking.

But as for SK, I'll take you NKY folks opinion.
Can Somerset go far in the play-offs in 2010?
paulcssi Wrote:Can Somerset go far in the play-offs in 2010?

I don't see a reason why not. They weren't really expected to go on the run they went on last season. They do lose 16 seniors including their entire O line, but the senior class' size is what they will really be missing. Somerset usually has pretty good line play which I don't see changing but last year was one of Somerset's biggest teams in a long time. Honestly other than though they really don't lose much at all. Their quarterback (2800 passer, 600 rusher) will be back next season, they return the best receiver in the mountains in Storm Wilson, and their backfield could be even better than last season if Derrick Jackson can stay healthy. Somerset's defense, which was on of the top in 3A, should come back strong next season. I think they lose 1 DB,1 LB, and 1 DL. Lucas is a defensive coach and he takes pride in defensive stats (shutouts, turnovers) so I think he will have the defense ready. Somerset could possibly have a better season than last year, but with all the question ?'s it could be a tough year as well. But since you are asking and I am answering I'll say that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Somerset playing in BG again this year.
cavery59 Wrote:Watch out for Louisville Seneca in 6A because they have Demarcus Smith at QB and Jordan Bender at WR .I guarantee they will make a deep run in the playoffs
The line will be depleted except for big ty
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Outside of St. X & Trinity, 6A could go a lot of different ways, like it did last season.

A lot of good teams in 6A, but IMO outside of St. X/Trinity, you could take about 10 teams in 6A and have a better shot at drawing those teams out of a hat than coming up with a more accurate prediction of their pre-season ranking.

But as for SK, I'll take you NKY folks opinion.

BCA, you may end up being right about SK. I heard that SK looked pretty good in the 7s competition against Highlands yesterday. I know 7s aren't football, but I was told that SK has some very fine receivers, DBs and QB (as does Ryle). That matchup between SK and Ryle will come down to which team can put together better lines. SK did lose their entire O line I've been told, so it might be harder for them. But if they have some talented replacements the game might be a coin flip.
I think that there is another "sleeper" that everyone is overlooking but that's ok keep overlooking them. From the looks of the predictions, they will suprise a lot this year.
brown_ind1977 Wrote:The strong will pro vale and tough schedules do pay off.

Really cant wait to hear why you believe that, WOW:igiveup:!
I remember standing at the concession stand and a Ashland fan said that the school paid for a bunch of tickets because they were going to destroy JC last year. To get to my point not a chance IMO, you have lost your best player in Albert, and play a water down schedule. I must say that this has to be my favorite team to play year in and out. Ashland does bring a few fans down and has become a rivalry.

let me start by saying an amazing play one of best ive seen but ashland defense played scared in the first half the scond half they dominated the whole was just to big to get out of and albers was good but alot of returning talent and a 3rd year starter at qb the tomcats will be able to go toe-to-toe with the eagles again and now with the ironton losing streak out of the way this is the game they've circled i promise
[quote=tomcatfan722000]let me start by saying an amazing play one of best ive seen but ashland defense played scared in the first half the scond half they dominated the whole was just to big to get out of and albers was good but alot of returning talent and a 3rd year starter at qb the tomcats will be able to go toe-to-toe with the eagles again and now with the ironton losing streak out of the way this is the game they've circled i promise[/Quote\]

:1:
BADCAT74 Wrote:[quote=tomcatfan722000]let me start by saying an amazing play one of best ive seen but ashland defense played scared in the first half the scond half they dominated the whole was just to big to get out of and albers was good but alot of returning talent and a 3rd year starter at qb the tomcats will be able to go toe-to-toe with the eagles again and now with the ironton losing streak out of the way this is the game they've circled i promise[/Quote\]

:1:

yes first day back and i have been declared champion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol