Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knott Co. Central hires Jay Cobb
Tradewater Wrote:Looking forward to Coach rebuilding the program. Coach Cobb has built and rebuilt several programs already and know he loves doing it. And he loves to win. And he can beat you day in, day out, with less talent then the team he is playing.

Want to reply to earlier post about Somerset 1st year principal calling Coach Cobb's bluff----obviously Coach Cobb doesnt bluff---especially when the players safety is in play. Somerset would not provide the safety equipment or even ice or water for their own team in summer practice---until Coach stood up for them. And it was only after Coach resigned in protest and the school thought they had incurred liability---which they did, that they provided their own players with the basic safety items that most schools take for granted. Made Somerset look poor. Somerset's loss, is Knott's gain. What parent doesnt want a coach that cares enough about his players to put himself in harms way.
Wish the program the best, but I do not expect any miracles at KCC. Do I believe they will improve, yes, but I do not think they will be much more than average or just above average.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Wish the program the best, but I do not expect any miracles at KCC. Do I believe they will improve, yes, but I do not think they will be much more than average or just above average.

Thats what was said the last time Cobb took over the KCC job and we know what happened.
LClion4life Wrote:Any idea on what offense they will run?

Depends on talent available. Somerset has had 3,000 yard passing seasons, number 1 receiver in state history in TD's and yards and has had seasons with 1500+ yards from a RB.

Basic O is Pro-set spread, with the majority of snaps being in shot gun. Somerset was able to not only pass well out of the "Gun" but run very well also.
I don't expect them to have the talent that Somerset had but it looks like they'll be improved. Hopefully it will be a better game in Vanceburg this year than last.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Thats what was said the last time Cobb took over the KCC job and we know what happened.
What happened? I said I thought they would improve, just not be good enough to compete against the upper-tier teams in the region in the next few seasons. I know that Coach Cobb did a good job his first time around the KCC program, but overall, his record was 25-27

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:What happened? I said I thought they would improve, just not be good enough to compete against the upper-tier teams in the region in the next few seasons. I know that Coach Cobb did a good job his first time around the KCC program, but overall, his record was 25-27

Average or above average would be great for Knott County after the last 12 years they've had! He has brought excitement back to football in Hindman and I think he will do great there. He will have an exceptional staff like he always has, the super has promised him atleast 3 paid assistants. Part of the deal to get Cobb back was he wants the field to be turf, and also wants to build an indoor practice facility behind the fieldhouse. I think Knott hit a home run with the hire! :Clap:
catfan1 Wrote:Average or above average would be great for Knott County after the last 12 years they've had! He has brought excitement back to football in Hindman and I think he will do great there. He will have an exceptional staff like he always has, the super has promised him atleast 3 paid assistants. Part of the deal to get Cobb back was he wants the field to be turf, and also wants to build an indoor practice facility behind the fieldhouse. I think Knott hit a home run with the hire! :Clap:

:rockon:
They need to work on their feeder programs before they worry about facilities.
catfan1 Wrote:Average or above average would be great for Knott County after the last 12 years they've had! He has brought excitement back to football in Hindman and I think he will do great there. He will have an exceptional staff like he always has, the super has promised him atleast 3 paid assistants. Part of the deal to get Cobb back was he wants the field to be turf, and also wants to build an indoor practice facility behind the fieldhouse. I think Knott hit a home run with the hire! :Clap:
I agree with this being a home run hire. Good luck Pats! Make plays, not excuses! As for the Super saying he will get Coach this and that, I will beleive that when I see it. But it would help the program and the kids.

An announcement soon about who the offensive coord. will be. If the rumors are true, then Cobb has already hit a grand slam. Great hire.
Great hire for knott
If Cobb is going to hire who I hear, the type of offense could be anything. Running or passing
fan first Wrote:An announcement soon about who the offensive coord. will be. If the rumors are true, then Cobb has already hit a grand slam. Great hire.

Did he take the job or not?
Any news on assistant coaches?
What's the word outta Hindman? Has spring practice begun? I'm sure Cobb and his new staff will hit the ground runnin!
KCC had around 30 out for Spring Practice. Coach Cobb and staff, IMO did a remarkaable job in the short time they they had them on the field. This team will be very young and inexperienced, but we will see 11 players giving 110 % on every play! I've been around KCC football since the start (1980) and this by far the most interest I've seen in the pigskin! KCC will welcome probaly their best Freshmen class ever this summer. With the returning players from Spring Practice, players from other spring sports, and the Frosh KCC will probaly dress around 50-55.
As everyone said, its a great slam for the KCC football program. Cobb did an excellent job at Somerset. Im excited to see what he can do for the Pats. Good Luck!
killerb Wrote:KCC had around 30 out for Spring Practice. Coach Cobb and staff, IMO did a remarkaable job in the short time they they had them on the field. This team will be very young and inexperienced, but we will see 11 players giving 110 % on every play! I've been around KCC football since the start (1980) and this by far the most interest I've seen in the pigskin! KCC will welcome probaly their best Freshmen class ever this summer. With the returning players from Spring Practice, players from other spring sports, and the Frosh KCC will probaly dress around 50-55.
Is the 30 number low? It just seems a little on the low side considering the excitement level that a new coaching staff brings.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Is the 30 number low? It just seems a little on the low side considering the excitement level that a new coaching staff brings.

I don't know the exact enrollment at KCC but I played at Somerset from 02-05 and we rarely had more than thirty out for spring practice. It is difficult to get some kids out for spring practice because of spring sports, especially at smaller schools like KCC and Somerset which rely on multi-sport athletes.
RoShamBo Wrote:I don't know the exact enrollment at KCC but I played at Somerset from 02-05 and we rarely had more than thirty out for spring practice. It is difficult to get some kids out for spring practice because of spring sports, especially at smaller schools like KCC and Somerset which rely on multi-sport athletes.
:Thumbs:

OrangenowBlue Wrote:They need to work on their feeder programs before they worry about facilities.

Great facilities does not mean great seasons.
Boys Cobb is a good coach and all but Beder had no staff. Think what he might have done if he was given a staff like this.
Who's on the staff?
Jumper Dad Wrote:Who's on the staff?

Former Whitesburg and Perry Central head coach Tom Searcy is on staff, I hear. Together with Cobb, that's about 60 years of coaching experience.

I've also heard that the former head coach at Berea/Clay County might be joining the staff. Can't remember his name right now, though.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Former Whitesburg and Perry Central head coach Tom Searcy is on staff, I hear. Together with Cobb, that's about 60 years of coaching experience.

I've also heard that the former head coach at Berea/Clay County might be joining the staff. Can't remember his name right now, though.

I think you are talking about Aaron Stepp. He was head coach at Franklin County last season and has been on Coach Cobb's staff in the past.
Yeah, thanks, Stepp. That's it.

Any word on whether he's coming to Hindman or not? If so, that will be three current/former head coaches on one staff.

And of course, Cobb has no ego, so all will work together just great.
RoShamBo Wrote:I don't know the exact enrollment at KCC but I played at Somerset from 02-05 and we rarely had more than thirty out for spring practice. It is difficult to get some kids out for spring practice because of spring sports, especially at smaller schools like KCC and Somerset which rely on multi-sport athletes.

You also have to consider that spring numbers do not include any 8th graders (kids who will be freshmen in the fall)
Brooks4Prez Wrote:You also have to consider that spring numbers do not include any 8th graders (kids who will be freshmen in the fall)

True, although I don't know the exact rules outlined by the KHSAA but we played with the 8th graders my last two years of high school. It seems like they did not participate in spring game or any full speed drills but we tried to get them out there, I'm sure Cobb will do the same at KCC if need be.

Someone had mentioned earlier about KCC needing to improve their feeder programs. This is where I think Cobb will make the biggest impact. Coach Cobb was always good about going to Somerset's lone middle and elementary school to try to get the younger kids involved in football and he would even hold day camps in the summer for all of the younger kids who weren't playing for the middle school team yet. He also holds a week long camp in the summer for kids of all ages.

One big reason for the success of the football program in Somerset is the Lake Cumberland Youth League. Nearly all of the best players in Pulaski Co. (the Newells, John Cole), even the ones that go to SW or PC (Josh Minton, Blake Gumm, Chris Muse? not for sure) all start out in the LCYFL.

Question for a Patriot fan, what are the youth league football situations in Knott County?