Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lewis County 41 Russell 37 (63rd District)
Final from Russell in the 63rd. Coach Hampton is Mr. March in Feb. now good win for the Lions.
Congrats Lewis Co.
Never count Coach Hampton out come tourney time. His players seem to pull together and play hard for him every year. Sign of a great coach.
I was going to come on here and write all sorts of ideas about this year's Russell team but Coach Kidwell completely summed up my thoughts in his postgame interview. After hearing his talk, I am confident he knows exactly what the problem is with Russell basketball. Can he fix it? I don't know. We'll see how these players look next year.

I had high hopes for this year's Russell seniors but they didn't live up to what I thought they were capable of doing. This is the same thing I have been preaching about Russell football, but the players must find the weight room in the offseason and commit to serious improvement. There are just too many games where it looks like boys playing men.

Russell has some good to even great young basketball players in Kyle Skaggs and Austin Hunt. Skaggs and Hunt could be the best guard duo in the region for the next 3 years. They absolutely MUST get bigger and stronger, though, or games like this will continue to play out. They should be the ones forcing the action every time down the floor rather than playing tentative and passive. I'm sure a large part of that has to do with them being freshmen and wanting to defer to this year's seniors, but there is no question whose team this is next year. In fact, Russell will go as far they carry them for the next 3 years.

Assuming they continue to live in the weight room, Davidson, Bailey, and Dehoff should provide strong play underneath for the next 2 years. Davidson will be a great scoring option in the low post. This should be more than enough to complement the games of Skaggs and Hunt.

As for tonight's game, I believe Coach Kidwell said Lewis County shot 24 free throws and Russell shot 5. That about sums it up. With a stat like that, it was a miracle Russell remained as close as they did. Russell still had a chance to win late in the game, but just flat out didn't come through. I will say this for Lewis County. With the exception of a few missed late game pressure free throws, they took full advantage of the foul discrepency and generally made their free throws.

As for the final game on Thursday, I look forward to seeing it as Greenup has always been a puzzling team to me. They should be much better than they are with Williams, Linthicum, Stephenson, and Hampton, but with the way things generally go for Greenup, I anticipate fouls will play a major role in the final game as well.
ryanparker Wrote:I was going to come on here and write all sorts of ideas about this year's Russell team but Coach Kidwell completely summed up my thoughts in his postgame interview. After hearing his talk, I am confident he knows exactly what the problem is with Russell basketball. Can he fix it? I don't know. We'll see how these players look next year.

I had high hopes for this year's Russell seniors but they didn't live up to what I thought they were capable of doing. This is the same thing I have been preaching about Russell football, but the players must find the weight room in the offseason and commit to serious improvement. There are just too many games where it looks like boys playing men.

Russell has some good to even great young basketball players in Kyle Skaggs and Austin Hunt. Skaggs and Hunt could be the best guard duo in the region for the next 3 years. They absolutely MUST get bigger and stronger, though, or games like this will continue to play out. They should be the ones forcing the action every time down the floor rather than playing tentative and passive. I'm sure a large part of that has to do with them being freshmen and wanting to defer to this year's seniors, but there is no question whose team this is next year. In fact, Russell will go as far they carry them for the next 3 years.

Assuming they continue to live in the weight room, Davidson, Bailey, and Dehoff should provide strong play underneath for the next 2 years. Davidson will be a great scoring option in the low post. This should be more than enough to complement the games of Skaggs and Hunt.

As for tonight's game, I believe Coach Kidwell said Lewis County shot 24 free throws and Russell shot 5. That about sums it up. With a stat like that, it was a miracle Russell remained as close as they did. Russell still had a chance to win late in the game, but just flat out didn't come through. I will say this for Lewis County. With the exception of a few missed late game pressure free throws, they took full advantage of the foul discrepency and generally made their free throws.

As for the final game on Thursday, I look forward to seeing it as Greenup has always been a puzzling team to me. They should be much better than they are with Williams, Linthicum, Stephenson, and Hampton, but with the way things generally go for Greenup, I anticipate fouls will play a major role in the final game as well.

Very well put. I agree with all you have said.