Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes 50 - Campbell County 48
they turn it on and off and they cant do that...IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY HOLMES ALMOST DIDNT EVEN MAKE IT OUT OF THE 9TH REGION TOURNEY LAST YEAR IF THAT BOONE CO PLAYER WOULD OF MADE A LAY-UP AT THE BUZZER...Holmes has alotta fans now but as i look into my crystal ball i see some ROUGH YEARS ahead of holmes!!!
Stardust Wrote:This team shows little respect in games that mean nothing to them.... Against Boone, they could easily lose that game if they take the attitude they had last night. Holmes fans can only hope that the Dogs come out with a chip on their shoulder from last years loss to the Rebels in the regular season.

Almost seems to be a case of mental burnout. How many games have the Johnson brothers and Pittman played the past three years? More than 100? What do they have left to prove? As defending state champs, they're taking everybody's best shot this year. Hopefully they'll refocus when the districts/regionals roll around. I think it was around '96 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) when the Bulldogs went undefeated in the 9th in the regular season, then got bounced -- I believe in the district opener! -- by Holy Cross. But that's when they were strictly run-and-gun.
Peacedomes85 Wrote:they turn it on and off and they cant do that...IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY HOLMES ALMOST DIDNT EVEN MAKE IT OUT OF THE 9TH REGION TOURNEY LAST YEAR IF THAT BOONE CO PLAYER WOULD OF MADE A LAY-UP AT THE BUZZER...Holmes has alotta fans now but as i look into my crystal ball i see some ROUGH YEARS ahead of holmes!!!

Rough years ahead? You obviously don't know much about Holmes' program then.

Their current junior class of 6'0 Mayfield, 6'2 Gray, 6'1 Hayes, and 6'6 Rice made it to the JV region championship last year without Rice even playing on the team. That group, along with McClendon only lost 4 games last year with 2 coming to eventual JV region champs, Boone Co.

Their sophomore class has some major size with 6'4 Dontel Rice, 6'5 Hunter Hoskins,and 6'8 David Stephens. Stephens is projected to be around 6'10 by the time he's a senior. They also have 6'2 Charles Knox who is a stud on the football field at LB. He'll provide some toughness down low for the Dogs.

The Freshman class is the next "special" class to come through with 6'1 McClendon (top 10 in the state for his class), 6'2 Englemon, 6'2 Coston, 6'2 Palmer, and 6'3 Peterson. Palmer was apart of the TarHeels team that finished 8th in the country this past summer at nationals. BTW, this same freshman class is in the final 4 of the NKY frosh tourney right now...WITHOUT MCCLENDON.

The 8th grade class is led by Jaylen Avery who was also apart of that TarHeels team that finished 8th at nationals this past summer. He started PG for the TarHeels while being a year younger than everyone else. Avery will be one of the best players in NKY his junior and senior years. I understand Jalen Beal (also apart of that TarHeels team) is currently at Holy Cross, but there's a chance he'll end up back at Holmes as well since he's the nephew of former Holmes great, Dicky Beal. Put Beal, McClendon, and Avery together and they'll have 3 of the best guards in the region and state.

They also have a 7th grade class that is 24-2 right now and made it to the elite 8 of the state tourney, led by 6th grader Kel McClendon. McClendon will be a force when he gets to high school.

Holmes may not be as heavy of a favorite next year as the past 3 years, but the cupboard is far from bare. Holmes will be a mainstay at the top of the 9th region for the next 5 or 6 years.
Peacedomes85 Wrote:they turn it on and off and they cant do that...IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY HOLMES ALMOST DIDNT EVEN MAKE IT OUT OF THE 9TH REGION TOURNEY LAST YEAR IF THAT BOONE CO PLAYER WOULD OF MADE A LAY-UP AT THE BUZZER...Holmes has alotta fans now but as i look into my crystal ball i see some ROUGH YEARS ahead of holmes!!!

Hater in the house!
jalfzou Wrote:Almost seems to be a case of mental burnout. How many games have the Johnson brothers and Pittman played the past three years? More than 100? What do they have left to prove? As defending state champs, they're taking everybody's best shot this year. Hopefully they'll refocus when the districts/regionals roll around. I think it was around '96 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) when the Bulldogs went undefeated in the 9th in the regular season, then got bounced -- I believe in the district opener! -- by Holy Cross. But that's when they were strictly run-and-gun.

That is very fair and very real. But you can always play with effort. I'll challenge any team to play with the one thing that I will hope for always and that is Pride.

I'm not saying Holmes is done, not saying that at all. Just have said my observation of a team and how they played on night and have made assumptions of having seen them and put together that along with the games against other teams of late and made my own observations.

I've said it at the beginning of the year and I'm not backing off of it, Holmes is the most talented team in the state. I truly believe that. I just can't fathom playing without pride and effort. This would be like UK knowing they are a top team in the NCAA tournament coming up and then just backing down the effort because they know they are in the tournanament and playing with no conviction.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Rough years ahead? You obviously don't know much about Holmes' program then.

Their current junior class of 6'0 Mayfield, 6'2 Gray, 6'1 Hayes, and 6'6 Rice made it to the JV region championship last year without Rice even playing on the team. That group, along with McClendon only lost 4 games last year with 2 coming to eventual JV region champs, Boone Co.

Their sophomore class has some major size with 6'4 Dontel Rice, 6'5 Hunter Hoskins,and 6'8 David Stephens. Stephens is projected to be around 6'10 by the time he's a senior. They also have 6'2 Charles Knox who is a stud on the football field at LB. He'll provide some toughness down low for the Dogs.

The Freshman class is the next "special" class to come through with 6'1 McClendon (top 10 in the state for his class), 6'2 Englemon, 6'2 Coston, 6'2 Palmer, and 6'3 Peterson. Palmer was apart of the TarHeels team that finished 8th in the country this past summer at nationals. BTW, this same freshman class is in the final 4 of the NKY frosh tourney right now...WITHOUT MCCLENDON.

The 8th grade class is led by Jaylen Avery who was also apart of that TarHeels team that finished 8th at nationals this past summer. He started PG for the TarHeels while being a year younger than everyone else. Avery will be one of the best players in NKY his junior and senior years. I understand Jalen Beal (also apart of that TarHeels team) is currently at Holy Cross, but there's a chance he'll end up back at Holmes as well since he's the nephew of former Holmes great, Dicky Beal. Put Beal, McClendon, and Avery together and they'll have 3 of the best guards in the region and state.

They also have a 7th grade class that is 24-2 right now and made it to the elite 8 of the state tourney, led by 6th grader Kel McClendon. McClendon will be a force when he gets to high school.

Holmes may not be as heavy of a favorite next year as the past 3 years, but the cupboard is far from bare. Holmes will be a mainstay at the top of the 9th region for the next 5 or 6 years.

Agreed, Holmes is loaded with talent for the next few years to come. I've seen many of these kids play, and they have talent. If they develop a leader that can guide these guys on the floor, the sky is the limit.
Stardust Wrote:That is very fair and very real. But you can always play with effort. I'll challenge any team to play with the one thing that I will hope for always and that is Pride.

I'm not saying Holmes is done, not saying that at all. Just have said my observation of a team and how they played on night and have made assumptions of having seen them and put together that along with the games against other teams of late and made my own observations.

I've said it at the beginning of the year and I'm not backing off of it, Holmes is the most talented team in the state. I truly believe that. I just can't fathom playing without pride and effort. This would be like UK knowing they are a top team in the NCAA tournament coming up and then just backing down the effort because they know they are in the tournanament and playing with no conviction.

Join the club, brother. I, like many other Holmes fans, have also tried to figure out why this Holmes team seems to play very well against the better teams, but let teams that they should blow out, hang around because of a lack of effort and intensity.

I guess it's kind of tough for us to question them though. We've seen the same effort the past 2 years out of this group and said the same things being said now but one thing has been constant...when the bright lights have come on, they haven't disappointed and they've put on a show.
Stardust Wrote:Agreed, Holmes is loaded with talent for the next few years to come. I've seen many of these kids play, and they have talent. If they develop a leader that can guide these guys on the floor, the sky is the limit.

:Thumbs:

The freshman class is going to be scary good when they're seniors. Add Jaylen Avery to them as a junior and then the talented 7th graders as sophomores and Holmes could potentially put together another run that we're witnessing right now. They'll be VERY DEEP.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Join the club, brother. I, like many other Holmes fans, have also tried to figure out why this Holmes team seems to play very well against the better teams, but let teams that they should blow out, hang around because of a lack of effort and intensity.

I guess it's kind of tough for us to question them though. We've seen the same effort the past 2 years out of this group and said the same things being said now but one thing has been constant...when the bright lights have come on, they haven't disappointed and they've put on a show.

Last year yes, two years ago, I'll differ with you.

Go back to Arrez's Senior year, they took care of business, and I give that young man 100% of the credit. Besides the loss to NCC that year, the beat the teams they were supposed to beat, and they beat them convincingly. If you had an Arrez on that team last year, they would not have had a single loss on the record. I was hopeful that Avery could be that floor leader for the Dogs, that guy who could set the tone. Rico and Elisha are just too strong of personality's to let that happen.

Will they be a different team in two weeks, yes, I believe they will be. But I am questioning whether they can be as good as the last two years without that court leader. We shall see. I am pulling for them, but see a major hole in their ability to three-peat to the championship game.
Stardust Wrote:Last year yes, two years ago, I'll differ with you.

Go back to Arrez's Senior year, they took care of business, and I give that young man 100% of the credit. Besides the loss to NCC that year, the beat the teams they were supposed to beat, and they beat them convincingly. If you had an Arrez on that team last year, they would not have had a single loss on the record. I was hopeful that Avery could be that floor leader for the Dogs, that guy who could set the tone. Rico and Elisha are just too strong of personality's to let that happen.

Will they be a different team in two weeks, yes, I believe they will be. But I am questioning whether they can be as good as the last two years without that court leader. We shall see. I am pulling for them, but see a major hole in their ability to three-peat to the championship game.

Very true...that 07/08 team was one of the most dominant teams in 9th region history. They won by an average margin of 21 ppg and their only loss was to Newcath by 1.

In 08/09, their margin of victory against 9th region competition was 15 ppg with their only loss coming to Boone by 7.

This year, their average margin of victory against 9th region competition is actually higher than last year's at 17 ppg. Only loss is to Ryle by 5. They still have games left against Conner and Boone too though to finish out the season.

Do you think the 9th was as good top to bottom in 07/08 as it was last year and this year? I personally don't think so, but am interested in hearing what you think.

As far as Avery being the team leader, he simply is too quiet for that. He is a team player and just does what the coach tells him to do. Not sure if you noticed or not, but Pittman was trying to be the vocal leader in this game and has throughout the season. He was constantly telling his teammates "Come on Red, pick it up, play defense" after Holmes would score or CC would get a defensive stop.

I agree though that it's still to be determined whether or not this team can be as good as the last two. What some fail to realize is those two teams were deeper than this year's team.

In 07/08, Holmes went 10 deep and pressed the entire game. They played uptempo but got after it on defense and in their press which led to a lot of transition points.

In 08/09, Holmes brough Rice and Housely off the bench. I don't think some realize how good of a supporting cast that was as a 6th and 7th man. Housely went on to play at Cincinnati St and Rice is starting this year.

This year, Holmes is bringing Herndon, Avery, and Hayes off the bench. No disrespect to any of those players but there's no comparison when comparing those 3 to Rice and Housely last year. Credit Henley though for bringing those players along to a point where they can consistently contribute now.

Should be interesting to see where Holmes is in two weeks when the region tourney rolls around. Hopefully this was just "one of those games". Last year they almost lost to a horrible Simon Kenton team that was worse than this Campbell Co team. They only beat them by 8 and that was cause of free throws late in the game.
Top to bottom better than than 07/08, I'd say the 9th is more balanced now, but not better. The top teams of this year coming into the 9th, Highlands, Boone and Newport have all played below their billings, so it would be hard for me to say that the 9th is better. Take Holmes out of the mix, and the top 4 teams of 07/08 beat the top four teams of this year.

Couple that with the skills and athletes of Holmes, they should still dominate, not have games like they have had this year. In 07/08, they dominated the games against the weaker teams, but they still handily beat the teams that were conisder the top tier of the 9th.
Aslan Wrote:Hater in the house!

Not Hating At Alll Just Most Of Those Kids Dont Have Varisty Experience Yet!!!...You Cant Just Bring Kids In That Havent Played A Second Of Varsity Time And Expect Them To Win A State Championship!
kywldcat01 Wrote:Rough years ahead? You obviously don't know much about Holmes' program then.

Impressive But I Dont See Them Winning The 9th Next Year With Boones 8 Seniors Next Year IMO
Peacedomes85 Wrote:Impressive But I Dont See Them Winning The 9th Next Year With Boones 8 Seniors Next Year IMO

I personally don't see them winning region next year either, but you never know. Their junior class wasn't expected to amount to much last year as sophomores and all they did was make it to the JV region championship where they lost to Boone.

The thing about Holmes is with them winning 4 of the past 5 region championships, it's become a mindset down there in Covington for those kids that they're going to win regardless. (Much like Highlands football)

Boone will be tough next year but they may not even be the best team in their district, let alone the region....Conner will be very good next year with Flesch, Robinson, Hodges, and Liechty. Conner also has a very good group of freshmen coming up that will be sophomores next year.

Boone will have to replace one of their best classes in the program's history. They lose Gabbard, Popp, Cotton, Earls, Lay, and Schulze....Brown and Montgomery are the only underclassmen who are really contributing for the Rebels this year. Cooper Downs will be very good as a junior, but they'll need some other kids to step up big time to be considered a major threat.
Stardust Wrote:A team that has one starter from last year and three players, 2 starters and the 6th man, whom all left before the season got underway for the Camels came within a desperation 3 of beating the Bulldogs.

I have touted and supported Holmes all season, but I even as a Camel fan was completely disappointed by the complete lack of respect displayed for the game of basketball tonight. Holmes showed absolutley no interest in being in Alexandria tonight. Their desire was non-existent. To watch them laugh and joke instead of play the game was beyond my belief in this team. They were ten times better, but showed zero interest in proving it.

I'm sure I'm going to see posts on here about Campbell County's 2-3 and Pittman sitting out with foul trouble. That will be bogus if it is used an excuse. Holmes flat out did not come to play.

As a Basketball fan, I loved seeing a game come down to the wire and especially it being my alma-mater with a chance at an upset. But if that last second shot would have went in, I would be the first o say, it would have been no upset, Holmes would have deserved to lose.

Take it for what it's worth, if Holmes does not show more interest that this in the District or Region, they will have to buy tickets to go to Rupp this year.
And I stand by my comment that if Holmes had played either Boone County or Warren Central on this night they would have lost.
dortonite Wrote:And I stand by my comment that if Holmes had played either Boone County or Warren Central on this night they would have lost.

Agreed, but in defense, had they played played with the intensity that they played Memphis Central, they would beat those teams by 30. It's that roler-coaster attitude I have issue with
dortonite Wrote:And I stand by my comment that if Holmes had played either Boone County or Warren Central on this night they would have lost.

And I stand by my comment that if Holmes would've played one of these two teams this night, they probably would've played with more intensity and not played with a lack of effort like they so often have against lesser opponents.

But Holmes plays Boone tomorrow night so I guess we'll find out.