Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes/Boone Make Up Date
The game that was cancelled Tuesday night (2/9) will be made up next Wednesday (2/17).
Holmes should be happy this is a home game. I still am dumbfounded that they let NCC have the type of game that they did. Holmes still does not show the defensive intensity that they need to win a title this year. I am beginning to not believe anymore.
Stardust Wrote:Holmes should be happy this is a home game. I still am dumbfounded that they let NCC have the type of game that they did. Holmes still does not show the defensive intensity that they need to win a title this year. I am beginning to not believe anymore.

Defense is the only reason they're 18-5 right now. They're averaging 59 ppg and only giving up 47 ppg.

Last year Holmes averaged 61 ppg and gave up 48 ppg. They aren't that far off from their averages from last year. One thing has been constant with this group and that's defense.

See my comments in the Newcath thread as far as that subject goes.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Defense is the only reason they're 18-5 right now. They're averaging 59 ppg and only giving up 47 ppg.

Last year Holmes averaged 61 ppg and gave up 48 ppg. They aren't that far off from their averages from last year. One thing has been constant with this group and that's defense.

See my comments in the Newcath thread as far as that subject goes.

They are giving up 48 PPG because of the other teams making the game go at a snails pace. Holmes only shows spurts of defense and it's been evident all season long. There is no reason why this team does not come out and dominate every team like they did list night in the first quarter. Then to allow an NCC team to make a run like they did is going to be a problem! They have allowed too many teams to keep the games reasonable. Holmes should score 61, they should actually score in the 70's, with their defense creating those scoring opportunities. But they do not do that consistently. You can sugarcoat it all you want, this team does not play with a consistent intensity on the defensive side of the ball game in and game out. Ryle made a game out of it and it was the lowest scoring game of the year. NO WAY this Holmes team should have allowed that, Never! Their defense HAS to create offense, and for them to not have 12+ point victory's on NKY competition is inexcusable - Period!
Stardust Wrote:They are giving up 48 PPG because of the other teams making the game go at a snails pace. Holmes only shows spurts of defense and it's been evident all season long. There is no reason why this team does not come out and dominate every team like they did list night in the first quarter. Then to allow an NCC team to make a run like they did is going to be a problem! They have allowed too many teams to keep the games reasonable. Holmes should score 61, they should actually score in the 70's, with their defense creating those scoring opportunities. But they do not do that consistently. You can sugarcoat it all you want, this team does not play with a consistent intensity on the defensive side of the ball game in and game out. Ryle made a game out of it and it was the lowest scoring game of the year. NO WAY this Holmes team should have allowed that, Never! Their defense HAS to create offense, and for them to not have 12+ point victory's on NKY competition is inexcusable - Period!

Holmes comes to Campbell co tomorrow night. See them first hand then get back to me. :Thumbs:

I do agree with SOME of what you're saying though and understand where you're coming from.
Boone Co. will fall back into a tight 2/3 zone and attempt to keep Holmes from penetrating. Holmes better hope the outside shots fall or Boone Co. will beat them again this year.
:please: :thatsfunn
Re: "Ryle made a game out of it and it was the lowest scoring game of the year. NO WAY this Holmes team should have allowed that, Never! Their defense HAS to create offense, and for them to not have 12+ point victory's on NKY competition is inexcusable - Period!"

From the games I've seen this year, Holmes' problem lies more with its offense than its defense. Offense laid an egg in second quarter vs. both Ryle and NewCath. In previous years, Bulldogs could bring in a Pittman in second quarter (two years ago) or a Rice in the second quarter (last year) or create some open trey opportunities for Riley (last year). Not so this year.
any team that goes into a zone against Holmes will give them fits...Holy Cross went into a 2-1-2 zone then into a 1-3-1 zone in the first half and they had the lead going into halftime and kept in for more than half of the third quarter
Peacedomes85 Wrote:any team that goes into a zone against Holmes will give them fits...Holy Cross went into a 2-1-2 zone then into a 1-3-1 zone in the first half and they had the lead going into halftime and kept in for more than half of the third quarter

Huh? Holmes was beating Holy Cross 23-16 at halftime and then 41-22 after 3. Holmes never trailed in that game so what are you talking about? Holmes led by as many as 23 in that game and then pulled the starters and HC got back to within 17.

As far as the zone bothering Holmes, they've played well against it at times and also struggled at times. For example...they made ten 3's against Highlands but just 2 against Newcath.

If you haven't noticed, teams who have kept it close against Holmes have shot well from outside:

Holmes 67 Dixie Heights 64
Dixie- 5 3pt FG ....Holmes ZERO 3pt FG

Holmes 46 NCC 43
NCC- 7 3pt FG....Holmes TWO 3pt FG

In both games, Holmes was outscored by 15 points from outside. Big difference there.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Holmes comes to Campbell co tomorrow night. See them first hand then get back to me. :Thumbs:

I do agree with SOME of what you're saying though and understand where you're coming from.

While working baseball practice yesterday, I got to watch the Camels practice. They have a surprise up their sleeve for the Dogs. Their showing up.....:biggrin:
jalfzou Wrote:Re: "Ryle made a game out of it and it was the lowest scoring game of the year. NO WAY this Holmes team should have allowed that, Never! Their defense HAS to create offense, and for them to not have 12+ point victory's on NKY competition is inexcusable - Period!"

From the games I've seen this year, Holmes' problem lies more with its offense than its defense. Offense laid an egg in second quarter vs. both Ryle and NewCath. In previous years, Bulldogs could bring in a Pittman in second quarter (two years ago) or a Rice in the second quarter (last year) or create some open trey opportunities for Riley (last year). Not so this year.

You are not getting what I am saying. It's their defense that should generate their offense. But they too rarely use that defesne effectively. Holmes does not need to shoot well if they force turnovers and easy layups. :HitWall:
Dawgs by 5+ :Thumbs:
To much defense for the Rebels :igiveup:
^ If the Dogs plays the defense that they are capable of, Dogs win by 15
Stardust Wrote:Holmes should be happy this is a home game. I still am dumbfounded that they let NCC have the type of game that they did. Holmes still does not show the defensive intensity that they need to win a title this year. I am beginning to not believe anymore.
Holmes was lucky to have the Boone game and the Warren Ctrl games canceled last week, both teams are better than NCC and Campbell Cty teams that Holmes beat by 3 and 2 points, I would pick either over Holmes at this point.

Boone County by 5.
There is a good chance this game is cancelled as well due to today's snow
dortonite Wrote:Holmes was lucky to have the Boone game and the Warren Ctrl games canceled last week, both teams are better than NCC and Campbell Cty teams that Holmes beat by 3 and 2 points, I would pick either over Holmes at this point.

Boone County by 5.

Holmes beat Scott by 33...Scott beat Campbell Co by 17 and 20...Holmes beat Campbell Co by 2.

Don't try to compare scores to say one team is better than another team and that team A would beat team B because of margin of victory from a previous game. It shows a lack of knowledge on your part.

But since you like comparing scores....Newcath beat Boone AT BOONE so obviously they aren't better than NCC like you say in the above post. Boone also lost to Highlands AT BOONE....Holmes beat Highlands by 11 AT HIGHLANDS and won AT NEWCATH. Confusedhh:
kywldcat01 Wrote:Holmes beat Scott by 33...Scott beat Campbell Co by 17 and 20...Holmes beat Campbell Co by 2.

Don't try to compare scores to say one team is better than another team and that team A would beat team B because of margin of victory from a previous game. It shows a lack of knowledge on your part.

BTW, Newcath beat Boone AT BOONE so obviously they aren't better than NCC....NEXT! Confusedhh:

Here you go again. ANY time a person disagrees with you, they're either "Unintelligent" or "lacking knowledge". You put a lot of people down.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Here you go again. ANY time a person disagrees with you, they're either "Unintelligent" or "lacking knowledge". You put a lot of people down.

I stated FACTS in my post.

Dortonite said Boone was better than NCC, not realizing that Boone had already lost to NCC at Boone. He also probably didn't know that they lost to Highlands at Boone either.

Holmes beat both of those teams on their HOME FLOORS.

Considering Dortonite didn't know this, yea it does show a lack of knowledge on his part for making a comment on a subject that he had no clue about. I'm not trying to put anyone down. Know what you're talking about and you won't see posts like the one I posted above.

No further questions your honor. I rest my case.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I stated FACTS in my post.

Dortonite said Boone was better than NCC, not realizing that Boone had already lost to NCC at Boone. He also probably didn't know that they lost to Highlands at Boone either.

Holmes beat both of those teams on their HOME FLOORS.

Considering Dortonite didn't know this, yea it does show a lack of knowledge on his part for making a comment on a subject that he had no clue about. I'm not trying to put anyone down. Know what you're talking about and you won't see posts like the one I posted above.

No further questions your honor. I rest my case.
Judge, I stand by my comment, regardless of your comment. I knew it was coming from you. I stated my opinion, still think Warren Central, and Boone Cty are 5 points better at this point, the way Holmes is playing. Lots of other people are saying Holmes is not playing well and you defend their play with past history. They don't have a real, on the floor leader. You may approach the bench!
dortonite Wrote:Judge, I stand by my comment, regardless of your comment. I knew it was coming from you. I stated my opinion, still think Warren Central, and Boone Cty are 5 points better at this point, the way Holmes is playing. Lots of other people are saying Holmes is not playing well and you defend their play with past history. They don't have a real, on the floor leader. You may approach the bench!

Although, we don't agree much, I like your style sir.

I've said Holmes isn't playing very well right now. I simply defend them when people say they won't make it out of the region because of close games in February. When March gets here, this team has lost just 2 games in the past 3 years....with one of those coming in the state championship and one coming in the state semi's to eventual state champ (Scott Co).

We'll find out tomorrow night if Boone is indeed 5 points better like you say. If you're right, I'll gladly eat crow any which way you decide to serve it up and admit that you were right, I was wrong. I'll also take any criticism you have.
kywldcat01 Wrote:When March gets here, this team has lost just 2 games in the past 3 years.

Good point. Holmes' three remaining regular season games are essentially meaningless. Probably would help Conner and Boone to have played Holmes once before the regionals. May not happen, though, because of the snow.

The big litmus test will come in first-round district play vs. Beechwood. That game should tell us whether the Bulldogs are capable of making another Sweet 16 run, or whether they're ripe for an upset in the 9th Region field of eight at NKU. If Holmes gets up on Beechwood by, say, 10 points in the second quarter, the key will be whether the Dogs play smart/hard and expand the lead, or let Beechwood creep back into the game. If it's the latter, then Holmes' chances of going back to Rupp may be no better than 50-50. Someone's eventually going to hit a buzzer-beater against them like NewCath almost did the other night.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Holmes beat Scott by 33...Scott beat Campbell Co by 17 and 20...Holmes beat Campbell Co by 2.

But since you like comparing scores....Newcath beat Boone AT BOONE so obviously they aren't better than NCC like you say in the above post. Boone also lost to Highlands AT BOONE....Holmes beat Highlands by 11 AT HIGHLANDS and won AT NEWCATH. Confusedhh:

IMO the only reason Scott lost to them that bad was they caught Holmes at the wrong time (a few days they lost to Ryle) they could of played Trinity that night and won by 10+ because IMO Scott is not that bad
This game is STILL ON tonight.

I just spoke with Mike Gabbard and he said as far as he knows, the game is still on and he hasn't heard otherwise.
Ryan Ernst, the Enquirer's NKY prep reporter, says on his blog that the Holmes-Boone game is indeed on for tonight (2-17):

"Tonight’s Boone County at Holmes boys’ basketball game, a rematch of last year’s Ninth Region final, will be played. Neither school was in session today due to the lingering effects of this week’s snowstorm.

"The game is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

"Holmes, the defending state champion, is ranked No. 1 in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll. Boone County is No. 2."
^ the game didnt disappoint. According to the other thread it was around a 5 point win in OT.