Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 50 Rowan County 46
final
fouls was obviously lopsided in rowan county's favor tonight which probably affected how hard Russell went to the basket. 25+ turnovers didn't help either.

I can't believe Russell was able to pull this one out with all the foul calls going against them and not having a very good shooting night.
Congrats Russell
radio said at one point in the game it was 12 free throws for Rowan and 1 for Russell
where did they play?
18fan Wrote:where did they play?
saturday at Russell in the ekc, they play west carter now on monday at 8pm

West beat morgan 56-33 Russell should beat west and move on to play the east/lewis winner but you never know.
Russell had a burst to start and finish the game, but had trouble with Rowan's zone defense and press for the rest of the game. They need to work on their halfcourt offense against the zone, but it was good to see Russell get the win. Even with some extended scoring lulls, they managed to come through when it counted. Perhaps some of this had to do with coming off the emotion-charged Greenup game the night before? Again, Davidson was impressive underneath getting rebounds and putbacks in heavy traffic.
where do they play West Carter at?
Rowan will get better in a couple years. Got some really good middle school boys coming up.
18fan Wrote:where do they play West Carter at?
East Carter I think
I was there. I'm not a fan of either school, just a basketball fan. Two critical calls went against Rowan late that changed the complexion...a charge call against the Wing kid that was a flop and a non-call on a walk with about 1:10 to go on Whitaker from Russell. Russell pressed all game and played man to man. Rowan played a soft 2-2-1 back to a 2-3 zone. Don't make it something it isn't; officiating didn't keep Russell from winning comfortably, the matchup 2-3 from Rowan did.
HD28 Wrote:I was there. I'm not a fan of either school, just a basketball fan. Two critical calls went against Rowan late that changed the complexion...a charge call against the Wing kid that was a flop and a non-call on a walk with about 1:10 to go on Whitaker from Russell. Russell pressed all game and played man to man. Rowan played a soft 2-2-1 back to a 2-3 zone. Don't make it something it isn't; officiating didn't keep Russell from winning comfortably, the matchup 2-3 from Rowan did.
at one point in the game rowan had shot 12 free thows to Russells 1 . Alot of Rowans fouls came in the last minute of the game at least 4 or 5.

I don't care what you or anyone else says if they call fouls more evenly rowans players have to take a sit on the bench like many of Russells players did and it evens the game out and Russell wins by 10 or more even witha bad shooting night.
3 or 4 of Russells starters were playing with 3 and 4 fouls for much of the game while rowan didn't start getting many fouls called until deep into the 3rd quarter.

You can think what you want but the fact is 12 free thows makes difference. Just think if it was Russell who shot 12 free throws and rowan 1 the game isn't really close.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:saturday at Russell in the ekc, they play west carter now on monday at 8pm

West beat morgan 56-33 Russell should beat west and move on to play the east/lewis winner but you never know.

West is not bad I am not so sure Russell will win this game. Not saying they won't but it is not a given. Rowan is not that good as their score against Boyd showed. Rayburn for West is on of the top 5 players in the region and the freshmen Kyle Brown (Hop Brown's son) is a player as well.
16BBall Fan Wrote:West is not bad I am not so sure Russell will win this game. Not saying they won't but it is not a given. Rowan is not that good as their score against Boyd showed. Rayburn for West is on of the top 5 players in the region and the freshmen Kyle Brown (Hop Brown's son) is a player as well.
I said they should win i didn't say they would win I made special note to say you never know. Russell has the better shooting team if they play up to their potential. Russell is a top 5 or 6 team this year in the region so far
I saw the game and never thought there was a foul discrepency. I thought that Randy Taylor was not very good, but then again, I've thought that before.
OU812 Wrote:I saw the game and never thought there was a foul discrepency. I thought that Randy Taylor was not very good, but then again, I've thought that before.
I don't know what you saw but rowan fouled many times late trying to catch up thatwas the only reason ther was more fouls on rowan they came in the the 2nd half with no foul trouble what so ever.
Who is randy taylor?

If your talking about Russell nathan taylor then hes not that bad of player not the best but not bad either.
Looks like this was a good game. Congrats to the Red Devils.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Who is randy taylor?

Referee from Fleming Co.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:at one point in the game rowan had shot 12 free thows to Russells 1 . Alot of Rowans fouls came in the last minute of the game at least 4 or 5.

I don't care what you or anyone else says if they call fouls more evenly rowans players have to take a sit on the bench like many of Russells players did and it evens the game out and Russell wins by 10 or more even witha bad shooting night.

Guy, you are so lost it isn't funny. If you knew anything about basketball, you would understand the point about the man to man press and the 2-3 zone but we won't get into that again. And Randy Taylor is an official; the world does not revolve around Russell.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Who is randy taylor?

If your talking about Russell nathan taylor then hes not that bad of player not the best but not bad either.
I believe Randy Taylor is a 16th region official if I'm not mistaken.
HD28 Wrote:Guy, you are so lost it isn't funny. If you knew anything about basketball, you would understand the point about the man to man press and the 2-3 zone but we won't get into that again. And Randy Taylor is an official; the world does not revolve around Russell.
Correct, on both points. Everyone knows that the center of the universe is Rowan County.
I was referring to Randy Taylor the official. He continues to blow the whistle before an offense happens. He anticipates then has to make a call. Went both ways, not one sided at all. He blew his whistle alot, the others not so much.
Is Randy Taylor the official the Rowan coach was getting all over on the possible walk call and the charge on the Wing kid???
I didn't really notice any outlandish calls in the game. I just thought Russell had trouble getting their shots off from the halfcourt set.

Russell's offense this year seems to be like a snowball rolling downhill. When they can make shots and apply full court pressure defense, the points seem to come in bunches. However, they seem to hit extended flat spots where the snowball isn't rolling very fast. That's when teams force them into the halfcourt game.

I think Russell needs to either apply their halfcourt trapping defense a little quicker in these situations to force the pace OR learn to get open and launch the 3's a little quicker when met with a tough halfcourt defense. They've been fortunate so far this year that their spurts have been large enough to allow them to win, but they've got to keep the tempo fast in order to negate the size advantage most teams have on them, to utilize the depth advantage they have, and to increase their opportunities for the spurts of offense that they seem to be dependent upon.

Overall, it's been a successful 3 game start, though. 3-0 is nothing to complain about, particularly coming off a 5 win season. Things get tougher this week as they begin to face some of the better teams in the region. As I've said many times, though, I feel they have the best coach in the region, a strong group of seniors, and some considerable talent in sophomore Davidson and freshmen Skaggs and Hunt. They might not win them, but it will surprise me if they are not at least "in" the games they play this week.
Wire Wrote:Is Randy Taylor the official the Rowan coach was getting all over on the possible walk call and the charge on the Wing kid???

No, that was Hendrickson.
HD28 Wrote:No, that was Hendrickson.

Which one was Taylor???
Black and Bald fella.