Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott 2009/2010
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...911280373/

In the gymnasium at Scott High School, there have been some battles going on between one of the greatest girls' basketball post players the area has produced and the next great one.

Lauren Tibbs, Scott's 6-foot-4 junior center, has been playing one-on-one against former Boone County and Northern Kentucky University star Michelle Cottrell.

"It's been so good for me to work with her. She's still a very good basketball player," Tibbs said of NKU's all-time leading scorer and standout of the 2000 NCAA Division II national champions. "Michelle's really strong and she pushes me around, so I have to use my height and figure out a way to get around her if I want to score."

Tibbs always has been tall, but she hasn't always played big on the court. Scott coach Rhonda Klette reminds her to attack stronger when she's in a crowd.

"I've tried to make a move on a girl in a game and not score and Coach will say, 'Why don't you just shoot over her?' And she's right," Tibbs said. "Playing Michelle and doing drills with her has helped me use my height more."

Klette is the Eagles' all-time leading scorer, with more than 2,400 points. Tibbs is nearly halfway there with just more than 1,200 after ranking fourth in the state last season with an average of 24.3 points per game. Beth Lye's career rebounding mark at Scott is in serious jeopardy this season, under threat from Tibbs, who averaged 11.3 rebounds in 2008-09.

"Lauren might be the best player to play at Scott, and she'll be considered one of the best post players ever in the region," said Klette, who played at Scott in the early 1980s and started four years at the University of Dayton. "She's one of the best big girls in awhile, maybe one of the best in the area since Donna Murphy."

Murphy, who played at Newport in the 1970s, was Kentucky's first Miss Basketball. She starred at Morehead State and later played professionally for the St. Louis Streak of the Women's Professional Basketball League.

Tibbs is ranked No. 23 in a preseason statewide coaches' poll to determine the state's best player. She's No. 1 in the 10th Region. Last season, she was named honorable mention all-state, first-team all-conference and she made the all-district and all-region tournament teams.

"With Lauren, we're talking about a girl who's going to play Division I," Klette said. "We recognized that early and sat down with her and tried to give her all the help she would need, and she's taken it."

Those first chats between Scott's all-time scoring leader and her would-be record-breaker occurred during Tibbs' eighth-grade season when Tibbs averaged eight points and six rebounds.

Klette and Tibbs' parents wanted to make sure Tibbs knew the value of playing basketball year-around, especially at the AAU level. Tibbs understood, and she has been a standout for the Cutter Hoopsters.

Tibbs, however, wanted to keep playing volleyball at Scott. She went from one sport to the other again this fall after starring for the Eagles' volleyball team as part of Scott's twin towers alongside 6-5 Lauren O'Conner.

Coach Klette said staying with volleyball hasn't been a bad idea, in part because of Tibbs' basketball workouts with Cottrell over the last few years.

Scott sophomore Taylor Stinson said playing with Tibbs gives her confidence against tough opponents.

"She gets us excited for games like a second coach, and she just towers over people, so it's hard to stop her," Stinson said. "She opens up our offense and gives everybody else opportunities. She's so good, she makes the whole team better."
Scott
Coach: Rhonda Klette (39-72)

Last season: 10-19

Key players: Junior center

Lauren Tibbs, senior forward Taylor Stinson, senior guard Kelsey

Bamforth

Outlook: The key for the Eagles is how well they perform around Tibbs, their star. Bamforth, all-conference two years ago at Calvary Christian, became eligible near the end of last season. She's a good passer and scorer. Stinson and Jackson can make teams pay inside if too much focus is given to Tibbs. Sara Kuhse's shooting can stretch the defense. Sam Kraft is back after a year off. "I like our depth, so it's not just Lauren," Klette said.

NKY.com