Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Floyd/Pike County Boys Basketball Coaches
As you all know I have already posted about getting a weekly ranking going for the teams. While thinking of this, I came up with another idea.

What if after the state KBA tournament at the end of the season, we started a Pike County vs. Floyd County all star game for 8th graders. I'm sure a bank or some company around here would be willing to sponsor it and purchase practice jerseys for the game. Channel 5 would more then likely broadcast the game considering it is the down season for sports and finally, it would give the kids who earn the right to play in it one final chance to show case there talents as a middle school player.

Was thinking maybe the game could rotate every year between Pike and Floyd County High Schools, and just to make sure every kid got a fair chance to play...kids would only be eligible to play in the game one time.

We could get the coaches from each county to vote for the top 10 8th graders from there respected county to play in the game, let the county championship coach lead each team with there coaching staff.
bball_fan Wrote:As you all know I have already posted about getting a weekly ranking going for the teams. While thinking of this, I came up with another idea.

What if after the state KBA tournament at the end of the season, we started a Pike County vs. Floyd County all star game for 8th graders. I'm sure a bank or some company around here would be willing to sponsor it and purchase practice jerseys for the game. Channel 5 would more then likely broadcast the game considering it is the down season for sports and finally, it would give the kids who earn the right to play in it one finally chance to show case there talents as a middle school player.

Was thinking maybe the game could rotate every year between Pike and Floyd County High Schools, and just to make sure every kid got a fair chance to play...kids would only be eligible to play in the game one time.

We could get the coaches from each county to vote for the top 10 8th graders from the respected county to play in the game, let the county championship coach lead each team with there coaching staff.

Terrific Idea.

Or another idea that was passed along to me this summer, by Randy Davis of Dorton and Doe Doe Rowe of Virgie, was to have a Pike County/Floyd County Challenge, during the season. Like the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in college.

Put the pre-season #1 team from each county against one another and so on. Maybe even get it held at the Expo.
I tried to get this started last season, I had a lot of support; but the powers that be shot it down "whoever that is at each respected school." I offered to televise it and everything. Right now I have all the support of the Floyd Co coaches, each and everyone offered to vote in our weekly polls, before they were cancelled to just standings. I think if you can get the Pike Co coaches behind it, the Floyd coaches would be on board.
I don't know who the "powers to be" are, but I know one Principal in Pike Co. that would support it and host it as well!
I'm pretty certain almost all the local coaches and principals would support the idea. Just need to get the idea to them and everyone needs to start trying to find a major sponsor.
I didnt mean it in a bad way; I meant that it took so many different people to get approval from; it made it hard to get a decision from team, area, county, whatever. I'm sure all the coaches would love to do it (like last yr) but each said there was so many variables involved that it would be hard to make it work. I think if you do it, that u need to elect someone to be head of this particular event because of the different counties involved. If you can get approval of that; then it would be much easier to get organized.
You would have to get all the coaches in the area to agree to it. Of course players and there parents would be all for it. You would have to get local high school's involved to host the event. That would be really all you would need, most coaches are going to go to the principals if they need something approved.
I was contacted last year about this by Derrick and I thought it was a great idea. I told him that if he couldn't come to an agreement with anyone about a place to host the event that MCA would be more than willing to host the 1st annual 15th region roundup all star weekend for the middle school kids of our area. We were contacted by coaches from the following counties that I know of Floyd, Pike, Magoffin and Morgan counties. Again there might have been more but I personally spoke with coaches from these counties. After everything was said and done and trying to work with everyones schedule we had kids from Floyd and Pike counties participate in a two day event. I personally think it went great. we had the 3 pt. shootout for C, B & A teams. Big man competion for C, B & A teams and an Allstar game for the C, B & A teams. No kids were turned away that showed up to participate or play and that was one of the great things about it. There was over 100 kids that showed up and every kid had a smile on their face the entire weekend and you couldn't tell who played for who. Every kid seemed to have a blast. I feel that every kid that showed up truly got to be a kid that weekend.
I hope that everyone involved can pull something like this off again this year because it is needed for the youth of our area.
I like this idea of rotating it between Floyd and Pike County High Schools because it gets them a chance to get use to the atmosphere they will see in high school. I believe a three point shooting contest would be great...maybe have 4 people from each county and finish everything with a all 8th grader all star game. just a for a rotating schedule would be...

year 1 - pike central
year 2 - betsy layne
year 3 - shelby valley
year 4 - prestonsburg
year 5 - east ridge
year 6 - allen central
etc...
This sounds like a great idea to me!
Sounds like a great idea, I really think we're headed in the right direction concerning our kids, and getting them exposure !!!!!!