Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP All-State Team
By The Associated Press
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - The 2005 Kentucky High School All-State first,
second and third teams, as selected by 16 media representatives from across
the state (with school, height, weight and class):

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE
QB - Justin Burke, Lex. Catholic, 6-3, 190, Sr.
RB - Ron Blume, Johnson Central, 5-9, 160, Sr.
RB - Rod Johnson, Lex. Henry Clay, 6-1, 240, Sr.
Rec. - Cornell Burbage, Lex. Catholic, 5-11, 185, Sr.
Rec. - Ben Guidugli, Highlands, 6-2, 190, Sr.
Rec. - Seth Tamme, Boyle Co., 5-11, 175, Sr.
OL - Jeff Adams, Trigg Co., 6-8, 325, Sr.
OL - John Asher, Lex. Paul Dunbar, 6-3, 280, Sr.
OL - Stuart Hines, Bowling Green, 6-5, 275, Jr.
OL - Justin Jeffries, Lou. St. Xavier, 6-5, 280, Sr.
OL - Sam Robey, Lou. Trinity, 6-4, 210, Soph.
K - Tim Dougherty, Lou. St. Xavier, 5-10, 175 Sr.

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE
DL - Justin Gooslin, Belfry, 5-11, 210, Sr.
DL - Josh Minton, Pulaski Southwestern, 6-4, 250, Sr.
DL - William Savoy, John Hardin, 6-0, 205, Jr.
DL - Justin Smith, Newport Central Catholic, 6-3, 247, Sr.
LB - Blake Gumm, Pulaski Co., 6-3, 275, Sr.
LB - Josh Hatchell, Mayfield, 6-2, 230, Sr.
LB - Micah Johnson, Fort Campbell, 6-2, 250, Sr.
DB - Leonard Gordon, Fort Campbell, 5-11, 195. Sr.
DB - Garnett Phelps, Lou. Ballard, 5-11, 175, Sr.
DB - Nick Schickel, Lou. St. Xavier, 5-10, 170, Sr.
DB - Brian Winklepleck, Owensboro Catholic, 6-0, 170, Soph.
P - Ryan Tydlacka, Lou. Trinity, 6-2, 195, Jr.

SECOND TEAM OFFENSE
QB - Ian Holbrook, Ashland, 5-10, 150, Sr.
RB - Victor Anderson, Lou. St. Xavier, 5-9, 170, Jr.
RB - Avery Hibbitt, Bowling Green, 5-10, 175, Jr.
Rec. - Chris LaMar, Henderson Co., 6-4, 180, Sr.
Rec. - Shane McDonald, Franklin Co., 5-11, 175, Sr.
Rec. - Steven Hunter, Bell Co., 6-1, 175, Sr.
OL - Marcus Davis, Boone Co., 6-2, 275, Sr.
OL - DeAngelo Durham, Danville, 5-11, 295, Sr.
OL - Derrick Elder, Lou. St. Xavier, 6-2, 295, Sr.
OL - Paul Millay, Owensboro Catholic, 6-0, 268, Sr.
OL - Matt Treadway, John Hardin, 6-0, 200, Jr.
K - Brian Behr, Lex. Catholic, 5-11, 155, Sr.

SECOND TEAM DEFENSE
DL - Aaron Chapman, Belfry, 6-2, 200, Sr.
DL - Aundre Henderson, Lou. DuPont Manual, 6-4, 290, Sr.
DL - Brendan Nestor, Bowling Green, 6-5, 230, Sr.
DL - Cory Peters, Lou. Central, 6-3, 280, Sr.
LB - Fields Davis, Ashland, 5-7, 190, Jr.
LB - Tucker Jackson, Bowling Green, 6-3, 240, Jr.
LB - Orlando Misaalefua, Fort Campbell, 5-10, 190, Sr.
DB - Blayne Donnell, Lou. Trinity, 5-11, 190, Sr.
DB - Michael Horn, Russell, 5-10, 170, Sr.
DB - Drew McDavid, Ashland, 6-3, 190, Jr.
DB - Eric Senn, Lou. Trinity, 61-, 185, Sr.
P - Josh Bleser, Cov. Catholic, 6-2, 205, Jr.

THIRD TEAM OFFENSE
QB - Will Fidler, Henderson Co., 6-4, 195, Sr.
RB - Mark Terry, North Hardin, 5-10, 175, Jr.
RB - Corey Rakes, Bullitt East, 5-10, 195, Sr.
Rec. - Luke Stocker, Madison Southern, 6-5, 250, Sr.
Rec. - Angel Gurule, Ashland, 5-10, 160, Sr.
Rec. - Craig Kircher, Lou. Trinity, 6-1, 185. Sr.
OL - Roger Blankenship, John Hardin, 5-7, 255, Sr.
OL - Dillon Hollin, Lou. Trinity, 6-0, 230, Sr.
OL - Drew Mell, Russell, 6-0, 230, Sr.
OL - Dan Runion, Newport, 6-4, 255, Sr.
OL - Levar Weston, Hopkinsville, 5-10, 250, Sr.
K - Tony Roch, Cov. Catholic, 6-1, 210, Sr.

THIRD TEAM DEFENSE
DL - Jermaine Birch, Lex. Henry Clay, 5-11, 275, Sr.
DL - Hagan Johnson, George Rogers Clark, 5-10, 225, Sr.
DL - Anthony Jones Bowling Green, 6-4, 245, Sr.
DL - Brit Lipfird, Evarts, 6-2, 235, Sr.
LB - Chris Cessna, North Laurel, 6-4, 220, Sr.
LB - Blake Johnson, Johnson Central, 6-1, 225, Jr.
LB - D.J. Marcum, John Hardin, 5-10, 175, Sr.
DB - Robert Dees, Madison Southern, 5-11, 175, Sr.
DB - Charlie Hunt, Phelps, 6-2, 175, So.
DB - Eric Sawyer, Beechwood, 5-10, 175, Sr.
DB - Bradley Barlow, Bowling Green, 6-0, 175, Sr.
P - Sean O’Brien, Lex. Paul Dunbar, 6-0, 195, Sr.

HONORABLE MENTION
Players who received at least two votes but did not make the first, second or third teams:
QB: Kaelin Ammons, Franklin Co.;
RB: Kasey Clark, Russell; Jarrod Zinser, Lou. DeSales;
Rec: Darius Baughman, Danville; Shawn Brown, Christian Co.;
Chucky O’Steen, Hazard;
OL: Jon Allen, Sheldon Clark; Glenn Baker, South Laurel; Joel
Brown, North Hardin;
LB: Chris Tucker, Bowling Green;
DB: Aundre Autrey, North Hardin; Carlos Fugate, Bowling Green;
Stephen Kamuf, Owensboro Catholic; Antoinne Lightfoot, Henderson
Co.; Andrew Mathis, Madison Central; Eli Warren, Letcher Central;
P: Justin Lumbard, Franklin Co.; Aaron Williams, Mayfield.
EKY represented well on this All-State team.

This board should be really happy with the way voting turned out.

Personnally, I'm disappointed to not see Matt Maynard on the list. Its the biggest omission I've noticed so far. Plenty of DBs on this list that Maynard can and has outplayed. Oh well!

Also, I'm betting we see a lot of differences in the AP All-State team and the "real" All-State team, the Courier-Journal All-State publication.
yea I was also looking for matts name
Pretty good. wish we had a few more on there.
Ashland placed 4 players and 2 of them are juniors that will be even better next season. Congrats to all of the players who are on the list.
So is this the official all-state team or is the true all-state team still to be announced???
Tomcat68 Wrote:So is this the official all-state team or is the true all-state team still to be announced???

It is official, but football circles across the state recognize Courier-Journal All-State team as the most prestigious. The AP is voted on by the media, and its safe to say 9 out of 10 voters never saw the kids they voted for play, which means they are voting on what another media member tells them.

Which is basically the same way the C-J works, except that the coaches do the voting. So you tell me who is more knowledgable about KY high school football, the media or the coaches who see the players play? Whether it be on tape or live on the field.

Here are some big changes I predict in the C-J All-State team. Sorry to Ashland folks, but Ian Holbrook will more than likely be honorable mention. There could be one or two changes at the RB position, Paul Warford of Madison Central, Vic Anderson of St. X, Avery Hibbit of Bowling Green, and Mark Terry of John Hardin could all possibly move up to 1st team. The defensive line will change quite a bit, IMO, on both first team & second team.

Those are the ones that stand out to me, but let me say that the RB position is interchangeable and matching any of the two off the AP with another back I listed would probably give you the same results on the football field.

Also, congrats to Justin Gooslin & Aaron Chapman of Belfry for making 1st and 2nd team defense.
HappyGilmore Wrote:It is official, but in football circles across the state the Courier-Journal All-State team is recognized as the most prestigious. The AP is voted on by the media, and its safe to say 9 out of 10 voters never saw the kids they voted for play, which means they are voting on what another media member tells them.

Which is basically the same way the C-J works, except that the coaches do the voting. So you tell me who is more knowledgable about KY high school football, the media or the coaches who see the players play? Whether it be on tape or live on the field.

Here are some big changes I predict in the C-J All-State team. Sorry to Ashland folks, but Ian Holbrook will more than likely be honorable mention. There could be one or two changes at the RB position, Paul Warford of Madison Central, Vic Anderson of St. X, Avery Hibbit of Bowling Green, and Mark Terry of John Hardin could all possibly move up to 1st team. The defensive line will change quite a bit, IMO, on both first team & second team.

Those are the ones that stand out to me, but let me say that the RB position is interchangeable and matching any of the two off the AP with another back I listed would probably give you the same results on the football field.

Also, congrats to Justin Gooslin & Aaron Chapman of Belfry for making 1st and 2nd team defense.

All I can say is this, if Blume is not 1st team on everyone's list than they haven't seen him play or they don't know a lot about football.

All yr. people have doubted his ability and stated that he wasn't even the best back in the mountains! (Belfry's back a close 2nd)

To lead the state in rushing is awesome and he did it against district teams that were suppose to have great D's. Not only did he lead the state but in 3a he out gained the 2nd guy buy more that 600 yds. The kid average well over 10 yds. a carry and had 29 TD's. If that isn't 1st team all state than no one is.
A few names I looked for arent there, but overall, its a pretty good list, when does the CJ release thier team list?
Good to see the E Ky mentions and players but the AP poll has become a joke.
There is one player in particular that would not even make an all county team.
And No, I won't name him.
Congratulations to Justin Smith from NewCath, him being first team is even more impressive b/c no one from NKY votes on this.

It has been clearly explained to us up here in the KY Post, the only AP rep from NKY, that they don't have time to vote on things like this and they will never do so.

So to see him on there is all the more impressive.

Grat kid, great ball palyer!!

Congrats to all who made the team!!!
I'm glad to see some players from EKY on there.

Congrats to all who made the team!
Congrats to the boys from Eastern Kentucky on being named to the All State Team. All of you had a great season.
1st Team Ron Blume - JC, Justin Gooslin - Belfry
2nd Team Ian Holbrook - Ashland, Steven Hunter - Bell Co., Aaron Chapman - Belfry, Fields Davis - Ashland, Drew McDavid - Ashland,
3rd Team Luke Stocker - MS, Brit Lipford - Evarts, Chris Cessna - NL, Blake Johnson - JC, Robert Dees - MS, Charlie Hunt - Phelps,
Honorable Mention Kasey Clark - Russell, Chucky O'Steen - Hazard, Jon Allen - SC, Glenn Baker - SL, Eli Warrwn - LC

:theman:
Don't forgot 3rd team WR Angel Gurule of Ashland
Tomcat68 Wrote:Don't forgot 3rd team WR Angel Gurule of Ashland

Sorry I missed Angel Gurule. He had a great season.
I was surpised not to see matt maynard and durell olinger
Congrats to all, where can the district teams be found?
Phelps? Are they serious? He never really stuck out to me. I mean against good teams he was pratically invisible.
Great to see some eastern Kentucky boys get recognized.
youknowwhoibe Wrote:Phelps? Are they serious? He never really stuck out to me. I mean against good teams he was pratically invisible.

ConfusedhithappeI agree my friend, I seen that and nearly shit myself. No offense to Mr. Hunt or any of the Hornets. The night I seen Paintsville play Phelps, Paintsville had 5 better DB's than Hunt. I guess the Tigers didn't have a promoter present or Hazard for that matter either. I thought Olinger was a definite with his stats. Heck Daniel Pugh from Paintsville had 5 Int's on the year defensively, I believe he lead the team in tackles and scored a total of 40 some TD's on the year and had 10 against Evarts in the first round. If that isn't All-state numbers I'll kiss my ass.
No offense to those that amde it and I love seeing KY kids get exposure but this is rediculous....
I too was surprised not to see Matt Maynard on the list, atleast as honerable mention.
List looks good, but I'm surprised to see Matt Maynard left out, and also Olinger from Hazard deserved some recognition, had the highest QB rating in the state, that has to count for something.
Good job to the players
The list definatily has to do with politics or something because durell olinger was not even on it. This kid never throws a bad pas. sidenote to olinger : don't worry you'll see that you don't have to be on this list to go to a D1 college. great season
they might be a little off. on Ian Holbrook 5'10 [B]150
try 5'10 190